Confirmed with Link: Rangers acquire goaltender Antti Raanta for Ryan Haggerty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Too much media hype at the end of the day. Still, our backup goalie, an undrafted college free agent that we could have lost in a year actually returned four prospects today. Would you have thought that would have been the case back in January?

I agree with you, it's good to look positive at this move, but I can't help but feel like we could have fleeced another team if we would have waited with Talbot.

Rangers are in win now mode and his trade kind of goes against our current philosophy. Those picks aren't really doing anything for us in the here and now. We only have a few more seasons left of our prime players. If we don't make a few good moves this summer we might be much worse off unfortunately.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
No never showed it. Tried to play in all 3 zones but was lost... typical college scorer that was allowed to roam all over the ice.

Loves to shoot the puck.. doesn't score or beat goalies clean.

In the pre-season he had a lot of people here excited after a 2G 1A game against Steve Mason in net.

But he never showed any signs of being a top 6 guy in HFD.

I was definitely one of those people, he was pretty impressive during the preseason.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
I agree with you, it's good to look positive at this move, but I can't help but feel like we could have fleeced another team if we would have waited with Talbot.

Rangers are in win now mode and his trade kind of goes against our current philosophy. Those picks aren't really doing anything for us in the here and now. We only have a few more seasons left of our prime players. If we don't make a few good moves this summer we might be much worse off unfortunately.

And reading between the lines of Gorton's quote about the Talbot situation, he feels that the Rangers had better offers then waited too long and took the best offer they still had at the time. Even though it didn't kill them, I think they had higher picks available to them earlier.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
So I'm reading that this kid "didn't get a fair shake" behind Darling, but he's going to thrive behind Hank? How so? Hank throws a hissy fit whenever he's told to sit out a game.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I'm reading that this kid "didn't get a fair shake" behind Darling, but he's going to thrive behind Hank? How so? Hank throws a hissy fit whenever he's told to sit out a game.

I think it means that he'll be the #2 rather than the #3 goalie.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
My understanding was that Haggerty had potential bc everyone was very happy when we signed him, and considering the Blackhawks have interest in him there must be something there. Blackhawks don't go after garbage players.

Seems like everyone is down on Haggerty so without me having much knowledge of him I guess it's a good deal. I'm still a bit peeved about the trade we made for Talbot. I thought we could do a lot better. Oh well.

I liked Haggerty coming out of college, but he definitely did not match my expectations last year. Though I can't imagine anyone penciling him into a top line spot.

I'm still not ready to say Haggerty won't make it to the show, but he was sitting behind several younger Rangers at this point, with potentially more on the way.

It's a good deal for the Rangers, a depth move with some potential for the Hawks.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Since you're the expert, what are your thoughts?

Never claimed to be the expert, but thanks for the compliment. :laugh:

Anyway, Raanta is as advertised above, smaller goaltender with quick feet and hands. Very different stylistically from Talbot. He's more aggressive, and a more active goaltender in and around the crease. Very athletic and responsive in his reactions and movement. He reminds me a little of Johan Hedberg.

Beniot Allaire will be able to raise his game to another level like he does to every goaltender he comes in contact with. I can't wait to see what he does with him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Never claimed to be the expert, but thanks for the compliment. :laugh:

Anyway, Raanta is as advertised above, smaller goaltender with quick feet and hands. Very different stylistically from Talbot. He's more aggressive, and a more active goaltender in and around the crease. Very athletic and responsive in his reactions and movement. He reminds me a little of Johan Hedberg.

Beniot Allaire will be able to raise his game to another level like he does to every goaltender he comes in contact with. I can't wait to see what he does with him.

I think calming his game down will do wonders, he'll be able to play athletically but more in control like Lundqvist.

Repomies

Jan 26, 2013
Raanta > Talbot, Niemi, Lack, Lehner (Crawford also but ...)
Raanta = Jones
Lundqvist > Raanta

#math #fact

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
oh well...at least they get him for a year...maybe get him to sign a 1 year deal midseason and trade him at the draft ;-)

Tong in cheek comment but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it will play out and the Rangers will get two years (or maybe even three) at a very cap friendly salary until three of our goalie prospects ready to serve as a back up.

Very happy with this management decision.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Raanta is a capable backup. Probably more in the mold of 11-12 Biron for this team than 14-15 Talbot. Capable of adequately spelling Lundqvist for 20 games, even if he doesn't play stellar in that time.

If he's more... then awesome. If that's all he is... well, that's all we need him to be. The main thing is that we dropped our backup goalie salary in half.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Raanta is a capable backup. Probably more in the mold of 11-12 Biron for this team than 14-15 Talbot. Capable of adequately spelling Lundqvist for 20 games, even if he doesn't play stellar in that time.

If he's more... then awesome. If that's all he is... well, that's all we need him to be. The main thing is that we dropped our backup goalie salary in half.

Let's not forget that for a few games there we were cursing Talbot's name because he was so bad. 11-12 Biron was not too shabby either until the end of the season. I'll take 11-12 Biron's first half any day of the week, as much as I hated his 5 hole in shootouts.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Raanta's our backup next year. I like it.
Agreed. Nice trade for NYR, the team with the best home unis in the NHL. He's a solid backup, may have a better career than Darling, and when the King retires he'll be another option.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
tumblr_mynmspc3C11t0noxao1_400.gif

welcome to ny :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad