Post-Game Talk: Rangers 4, Penguins 3 (OT) - Oh, Oh, Oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
EDIT: Goalies are an issue this season. We would easily be first in the division with Fleury instead of the rookies

Fleury was not great here in the regular season last year so I’m not so sure about that. He had a SV% of .909 and a GAA of 3.02

Reactions: Angrrus

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Fleury was not great here in the regular season last year so I’m not so sure about that. He had a SV% of .909 and a GAA of 3.02

It was just a fluke year. Look at what he is doing with VGK right now. He also saved us a lot in the RS when we had the 2010-2017 injury bug. Fleury is probably one of the best RS goalies in the league (or at least used to).

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It was just a fluke year. Look at what he is doing with VGK right now. He also saved us a lot in the RS when we had the 2010-2017 injury bug. Fleury is probably one of the best RS goalies in the league (or at least used to).

VGK plays a better style for him. I think the competition for the starter spot got in his head. Not sure that’d change. Anywho that’s a rarity to have Fleury and Murray on a team.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
We have Brassard, Sheahan, Oleksiak and Letang this run though.

Plus a healthy Hagelin and Hornqvist, I think this gets forgotten.

We don't know how ANY of those players will perform with this pens team. That's about a 20% turnover.

So" it's the same team " is a patently false statement or it's being willfully obtuse.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
We don't know how ANY of those players will perform with this pens team. That's about a 20% turnover.

So" it's the same team " is a patently false statement or it's being willfully obtuse.

I thought you meant the team as in talent/effectiveness.

Reactions: Pens17

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I thought you meant the team as in talent/effectiveness.

Well it's not only true in the descriptive sense but also the normative too

Do you think Oleksiak, hunwick and ruh are better than Cole, Hainsey and Daley? I don't

Do you think our winger depth better or worse than last year ?

How about the backup goalie situation?

On paper we are conceivably better down the middle. Jury is out on Brassard and I think he'll be ok, but Cullen was able to buoy the 4th line. Sheahan is trying his darndest but I'm not sure he can save that sinking ship

Not a doom and gloom person bc I think when you boil it down, we're a top five favorite to win it all But I think we're weaker vs last year by a fair bit

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Do you think Oleksiak, hunwick and ruh are better than Cole, Hainsey and Daley? I don't

On paper we are conceivably better down the middle. Jury is out on Brassard and I think he'll be ok, but Cullen was able to buoy the 4th line. Sheahan is trying his darndest but I'm not sure he can save that sinking ship

Not a doom and gloom person bc I think when you boil it down, we're a top five favorite to win it all But I think we're weaker vs last year by a fair bit

They’re better than last year if Crosby plays like he did last year, period. As a team they’ve played better than they did last year, but Sid and Geno were still running wild.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Not sure what to make of this team. Even if it isn't pretty, they find a way to get it done. Then there are games (like tonight) where they let games get away. The talent is there, but the focus... @ColePens hinted at it, but they need something to rally around.

Reactions: ColePens

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That is exactly what happens when you coast your way to a win in the NHL. You lose. You have to play through. Pens were trying pick up their 3 foot putt and didn't take it serious. Rangers made them put the ball down and putt it. Pens miss the gimmie.

Lesson learned hopefully.

This entire season seems to be about the Pens having to learn lessons the hard way. You'd think that by game 71, they wouldn't need these lessons anymore.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I guess it explains the season the Pens are having right now... we never replaced Cole and Bones, the latter had insane chem with Hagelin and Kessel and well see what Sheahan do in the playoffs.

Also, without Malkin, we are at best in a wildcard spot.

EDIT: Goalies are an issue this season. We would easily be first in the division with Fleury instead of the rookies

The salary cap doesn't exist in your world?

Or are you in favor of taking up almost $10 million in cap space on the goalie situation (only one can even play every night, so almost half that would be sitting every game) rather than add depth like Brassard, etc.?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Your missing Letang/Hainsey which is significant to our transition.

Hagelin missed a series and played injured the rest and not that effective. Hornqvist missed a series and played the cup final with a broken hand. Bonino missed most of the cup final.

I think we are much better poised this season compared to last. When healthy we can play a similar style to 2016 which is the better way to play.

Reactions: Turin

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Not sure what to make of this team. Even if it isn't pretty, they find a way to get it done. Then there are games (like tonight) where they let games get away. The talent is there, but the focus... @ColePens hinted at it, but they need something to rally around.

If this was a playoff game we’d likely (almost positive) have won. That seems to be the difference.

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Cue the overreactions. Yeesh. Teams have let downs. It's not fun. But c'mon folks. There's no way this game was as important as some here are judging it. Just don't do this **** in May and June, ok Pens? Ok? Ok. I'm satisfied with my fictional conversation.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Playing games late in the year when they have a 98% chance of making the playoffs ain't it.

I still think that they will flip the switch when the playoffs start. How far that leads depends on many things, some in their hands and some like injuries and a bit of luck not. But I have no doubt that this team comes ready to play when the puck drops when it matters most.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Playing games late in the year when they have a 98% chance of making the playoffs ain't it.

I still think that they will flip the switch when the playoffs start. How far that leads depends on many things, some in their hands and some like injuries and a bit of luck not. But I have no doubt that this team comes ready to play when the puck drops when it matters most.

Yup. And i dont know what most expect from a team during the reg season after winning back to back cups.

Theyve already dug themselves out of a huge hole and put themselves in a position to win the division. Not to mention the ridiculous schedule they were handed with all those back to backs having no backup goalie.

Youd think the last two playoff runs would prevent some from thinking the worst..

Only concerns i have right now are sheary(sprong should take his place if he cant get it together) , and kessel being healthy.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Cue the overreactions. Yeesh. Teams have let downs. It's not fun. But c'mon folks. There's no way this game was as important as some here are judging it. Just don't do this **** in May and June, ok Pens? Ok? Ok. I'm satisfied with my fictional conversation.
They wont be playing games in may and june if they dont start playing better.

We would also need home ice all the way to the cup, since we cant win on the road.
But we might not even get home ice in the first round if they dont step it up...

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
was only able to watch the first period and part of the second. thought the team looked dominant...

judging by the intense anger and tearing apart of Crosby/team in this PGT that didn't last into the third :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
They wont be playing games in may and june if they dont start playing better.

We would also need home ice all the way to the cup, since we cant win on the road.
But we might not even get home ice in the first round if they dont step it up...

We will end up close to the away wins we had last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad