News Article: Rangers 30 in 30 Day

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think the "he's basically missed an entire season of hockey since turning pro" part is a bit more important, and he threw the "he had to fight a lot too" in as an aside. Hardly a guy lining up excuses, IMO. His development curve has actually been solid for a player who has missed a considerable amount of time. People pegged him as a 4-5 year project when he was drafted, and that was before he was injured. Now suddenly everyone is just making excuses for him? It's just more of the same crap, really.

So they drafted the guy so high because they wanted a tough, rugged defenseman. Ok fine - wasn't good with it then, am not good with it now, but whatever.

But it doesn't make much sense to me to reference how the tough, rugged defenseman being tough and rugged is slowing his development.

I dont know - Im just so used to Clark blowing sunshine up every prospects ass because thats his job that I was surprised he was grasping at these types of straws to explain where McIlrath is right now.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
So they drafted the guy so high because they wanted a tough, rugged defenseman. Ok fine - wasn't good with it then, am not good with it now, but whatever.

But it doesn't make much sense to me to reference how the tough, rugged defenseman being tough and rugged is slowing his development.

I dont know - Im just so used to Clark blowing sunshine up every prospects ass because thats his job that I was surprised he was grasping at these types of straws to explain where McIlrath is right now.

When we drafted him, didn't he say he would take like 5 years to develop?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Maybe, I dont know.

I do know Torts was the coach back when he was drafted 4+ years ago -- I also know, sometime in between then and now, Sather made the decision to make this a speed oriented/puck possession team.

So its sort of disheartening to see the head of scouting talking about how fighting is Pejorative Sluring his development when the deck is a bit stacked against him in the first place.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I'm not sure this is really even relevant. At least not to my original point. My biggest issue is the bolded and italicized part:

And even in those 100 games he didn't play much in some of them because he had to fight everyone in the AHL and he beat them all up and he really has less than a year of experience

If the cause for him having to fight everyone is because there was nobody else, then get somebody else in Hartford who will serve the good role. Don't stymie a first round draft picks progression because he's losing time to a quickly-becoming unimportant part of the game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Not sure what time, and these things tend to be repeated on NHL Network Radio on Sirius XM in the summer, but I would definitely keep an ear out for this one. Jim "Boomer" Gordon (no relation to Jim "Friend of the Big Whistle" Gordon) does a really good job with these previews.

It's one solid hour on each team (they've been running basically in alphabetical order, two teams per day - Rangers and Nashville are Monday), with minimal commercial interruption. For those of you not familiar with Boomer, he's a very easy listen - knowledgeable and funny.

if anyone has the ability to recrd this....

Championship*

Boomer is a complete hack. He can't keep his biases in check when he does previews/gm report cards and has essentially admitted as such.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Boomer is a complete hack. He can't keep his biases in check when he does previews/gm report cards and has essentially admitted as such.

So people are unable to make up their own opinions based on the facts presented ? Having a bias is expected for any sports fan, even reporters like it or not. Its up to you to decide whats good reporting and whats, as you call it, complete bias

Championship*

So people are unable to make up their own opinions based on the facts presented ? Having a bias is expected for any sports fan, even reporters like it or not. Its up to you to decide whats good reporting and whats, as you call it, complete bias

Then I've decided. Plenty of guys on that channel who are great at what they do (Laughlin, Kern), but that guy is 100% a hack. Have you ever listened to the guy on a consistent basis? I've been listening that that channel since about 2007 and he's been horrendous. Has never said a good thing about the Rangers. Can't get enough of the Sharks though, even though they've been embarrassing themselves in the playoffs year after year.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Since McIlrath was drafted all the talk was about how he can knock the crud out of people, he made his name in Jr doing it. They didn't call him the ironwall being a shutdown blueliner, he was the undertaker for knocking people out.

Until the Rangers tell him "stop dropping the gloves" the focus will always be on his pugilistic ways over actually playing hockey and this is a damned shame waste of a 1st round pick.

McIlrath has had 28 fights in 111 regular season games. He's played 2 of those games at the NHL level, one of which he drew a fight in. That's a fight every 4 AHL games and one every 2 games in the NHL.

Comparably, Jared Tinordi has had 17 fights in 144 regular season games and he's played 30 of those games in the NHL, 4 of which he drew a fight. That's a fight every 6.7 AHL games and one every 7.5 NHL games.

Both these players have played the same number of AHL games, they were both drafted the same year and they both have been projected as large, physical stay-at-home blueliners. Montreal moved up to select Tinordi and has been developing in the stay at home role. Meanwhile McIlrath seems to fight at least 50% more often.

In Montreal Bouillion, Murray, and Gorges were all moved out leaving the opportunity for Tinordi to have a real shot at a roster spot come training camp. The Rangers top6 are set and most see Brady Skjei as the next best option coming out of Hartford and he hasn't even played a pro game yet.
Not sure what time, and these things tend to be repeated on NHL Network Radio on Sirius XM in the summer, but I would definitely keep an ear out for this one. Jim "Boomer" Gordon (no relation to Jim "Friend of the Big Whistle" Gordon) does a really good job with these previews.

It's one solid hour on each team (they've been running basically in alphabetical order, two teams per day - Rangers and Nashville are Monday), with minimal commercial interruption. For those of you not familiar with Boomer, he's a very easy listen - knowledgeable and funny.

I quite like Boomer's reviews. A lot more thought is put into them over what the NHL has done here. I especially like the way he tore up the Debbies :D

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I don't know, to me it seems pretty clear that it's meant as the fighting, coupled with the considerable amount of time missed due to injury, has set him back.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I've been listening that that channel since about 2007 and he's been horrendous. Has never said a good thing about the Rangers. Can't get enough of the Sharks though, even though they've been embarrassing themselves in the playoffs year after year.

LOL so much epic failure in one post. On the eve of he playoffs Boomer predicted a Rangers-Kings final, with the Kings winning. Yeah, he's never said a good thing about the Rangers.

He also loved the St Louis trade for the short term, immediately defended Kreider, said the Rangers were brutally unlucky with a number of calls made in the finals and the outcome could easily have been Rangers winning the Cup, and he LOVES Hank.

Oh, and since he predicted the Kings to win the Cup, that means he also predicted a first round exit for the Sharks. Jeesh, don't let some pesky facts in the way of your awesome post, though. :shakehead

I don't agree with everything Boomer says either, but your post is so factually incorrect it's comical.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
On the Power Play today, Boomer's stats pack, the Rangers were only outshot 22 times. That's pretty impressive. They seem to like the Lombardi signing.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Boomer's an Isles fan and he hates Sather's MO of getting shiny new toys at the expense of picks.

He's in love with McDonagh and Kreider. He doesn't like Sather. Lots of Canadian media don't like Sather because he was cocky and rude to them in the 1980s and he was completely invisible for 20 years after.

But I agree that he doesn't give the Rangers enough credit. I missed the segment today, but I know he gave Sather a B in his GM report card (Yzerman got an A+?).

Rangers fans need to get over the anti-NY media stuff. This is news? The Mets won 108 games in 1986 and not a single Met won any postseason award. Or how about Leetch in 2001 not getting any postseason consideration even though he was dominant that season?

If he didn't pull a Bobby Orr, Leetch would have lost the Conn Smythe to McLean.

Don Cherry hates the Rangers because their stars aren't Canadian. That's why CBC and NHL Radio spent more time on Holtby in 2012 and Tokarski in 2014 than Lundqvist.

Just get used to it. Nothing feels better than NY teams winning because it forces the rest of the world to accept that for one season, New York is better than everybody else, including sports.

Sports is the only medium I can think of for people to compete with New York and find a measure of success.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Catching Boomer's replay on NHL Radio. Saying lots of glowing praise for the Rangers and said if you think they're a fluke you're mistaken.

Boomer said he thought McDonagh was a Norris finalist about a week before he was hurt in Vancouver.

I gotta give Cerny credit. In his interview with Boyle, he essentially told Boyle he better shoot the puck on the power play.

Shooooooooot.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Rangers definitely aren't a fluke. They're a legitimately good team. Hopefully the changes we made leads to a better fate in the playoffs.

Hell, I'd be happy just getting back to finals. It's nice to feel like we have a legitimate chance at winning it all, even if we don't.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Rangers definitely aren't a fluke. They're a legitimately good team. Hopefully the changes we made leads to a better fate in the playoffs.

Hell, I'd be happy just getting back to finals. It's nice to feel like we have a legitimate chance at winning it all, even if we don't.

It's gonna be tough. One more run to the CF and nobody can deny they're an elite team. I think Henrik is going to have a monster year.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Catching Boomer's replay on NHL Radio. Saying lots of glowing praise for the Rangers and said if you think they're a fluke you're mistaken.

Boomer said he thought McDonagh was a Norris finalist about a week before he was hurt in Vancouver.

I gotta give Cerny credit. In his interview with Boyle, he essentially told Boyle he better shoot the puck on the power play.

Shooooooooot.

where can I hear this?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I keep telling people losing Richards is going to hurt them. Take a look at all of the big moments he's produced for us in the playoffs. Say what you want but the man is clutch. Add in his locker room presence too. It was the right move buying him out, I'm just saying it's going to be harder than you think to fully replace what Richards brought to the table.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
I keep telling people losing Richards is going to hurt them. Take a look at all of the big moments he's produced for us in the playoffs. Say what you want but the man is clutch. Add in his locker room presence too. It was the right move buying him out, I'm just saying it's going to be harder than you think to fully replace what Richards brought to the table.

I like Richie and he had his moments but if he was so clutch why did AV take him off the PP in the playoffs and reduce his minutes? The whole locker room thing to me is sooo overrated. We have plenty of leaders still here and winning makes a great locker room. I hope he does well in Chicago as the one thing I learned while he was here is that he is a quality individual with all the things he did off the ice.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
where can I hear this?

Sirius 211 NHL Radio. You may have missed the boat. They preview one team from each conference in alphabetical order.

Yesterday was Nashville and NYR. Today will be Ottawa and I think San Jose.

It's on in the afternoon and then they replay it between 7-9pm.

They may rebroadcast over the weekend and I don't know if there's an online transcript.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

2012 Brad was amazing. 2013 he was brutal. 2014 he had a good start to the flyers series and a clutch goal in the pens series(IIRC) but then his legs fell apart and he was invisible in the Habs series and he was hurting us in the kings series. AV doesn't change lines all that much and Brad played 4th line for the kings series.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005

The Ranger foward corps have moved past Richards. Boyle is a solid locker room guy and will easily perform equally well on the PP.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Ranger foward corps have moved past Richards. Boyle is a solid locker room guy and will easily perform equally well on the PP.

If you can get a 10-point increase from Brassard and 15-15-30 from Miller, it would offset the loss.

Leadership wise somebody will have to step up.

Boomer told Gorton he nominates McDonagh as Captain and Gorton basically said either before or after camp they'll name one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00