News Article: Rangers 30 in 30 Day

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the heads up. Just started reading the first article, and I'm amazed to hear that apparently we're "counting on" Chris Mueller to fill a key forward role.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
We're hoping to improve our pool of prospects at the center position where we weren't very deep as an organization in Hartford. We hope Danny can help us in that area.

Clark expects Kristo to transition to C? I thought he's only played wing.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I sure hope Rick Nash returns to form.

...Higher trade value!!!

The amount of thought going into these articles is actually quite sad. You'd think the NHL would do better promoting their own game. The projected lineup alone, with Kreider on the RW and Zucc and Brassard separated is a gross example of it.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I remember last year they ranked Noreau as our 4th best prospect.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
My biggest issue was this comment:

"McIlrath has played about 100 games in two years so it's about one season and a playoff and he has injuries. And even in those 100 games he didn't play much in some of them because he had to fight everyone in the AHL and he beat them all up and he really has less than a year of experience,

If his development is being stalled because "he had to fight everyone in the AHL, then get a cheap goon to do that and let the kid develop.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

If his development is being stalled because "he had to fight everyone in the AHL, then get a cheap goon to do that and let the kid develop.

Exactly. Makes no sense. Is there some sort of disconnect with the AHL coaching staff? Tell the kid the only way hes going to make the NHL if he plays more hockey and fights less. Period. End of story.

Despite the spin attempt, the quote is still very telling at its core -- sure seems like the organization doesnt think McIlrath is near ready yet.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

He had 13 fights last season. That's, what, 30 missed shifts?

The Rangers signed Nick Tarnasky this off-season. McIlrath was drafted where he was largely because of his ability to fight, I don't think he'll stop showcasing that asset no matter who is on the team.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Stralman was clearly the Rangers 2nd best dman last year?

I liked Stralman but enough with how great he is. He's a top 4 dman, but he doesn't score and he's not a "shut down" guy. He's a good player, solid. He's not Kevin Lowe.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

that quote needs its own thread.

so much here to chew and digest.

first off, is gordie clark really this big a dope? his draft decisions aside, this quote is an abomination.

duh, do you want him "fighting and beating everyone up " ? really do you. :shakehead

development kinda stalls when you are in the penalty box. and forget the risk of a serious injury.

this kid needs to improve his hockey skills.

its like his hockey player isnt very good but his fighter is, so lets highlight his fighter and lets kinda ignore his hockey player cause he hasnt played alot ? wha ??

the kid gloves treatment he gets is legend. the excuse machine is churning full time. protect him and coddle him. eventually, maybe he'll be ready. maybe.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Stralman was clearly the Rangers 2nd best dman last year?

I liked Stralman but enough with how great he is. He's a top 4 dman, but he doesn't score and he's not a "shut down" guy. He's a good player, solid. He's not Kevin Lowe.

Yes he absolutely is a "shutdown" defenseman. but lets not make another thread about Stralman.

Jarkko Immonen

#42 Artem Anisimov
Oct 23, 2005
Connecticut

Hopefully Nick Tarnasky can take that role over for Dylan! I am not a fan of fighting, but I realize it won't leave the AHL. Too many guys make their careers on it in the AHL. Hate seeing Dylan fight.

Jarkko Immonen

#42 Artem Anisimov
Oct 23, 2005
Connecticut
He had 13 fights last season. That's, what, 30 missed shifts?

The Rangers signed Nick Tarnasky this off-season. McIlrath was drafted where he was largely because of his ability to fight, I don't think he'll stop showcasing that asset no matter who is on the team.

Wait, they really drafted McIlrath because he can fight? Is this documented?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Those were some amazing lineup projections, Zucc - Miller - Stempniak is the obvious choice going into the season

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I can't believe people are up in a tizzy about an anecdotal comment regarding McIlrath having to answer the bell a lot. :laugh:

Its not that anecdotal. It can certainly be conceived as an excuse regarding his development curve.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

he had 11 majors and something like 170 PIMs...will that really stunt his development? Or is he just saying that he has to stop focusing on fighting and more on the other things that will make him an everyday NHLer. Can we get him on the line to clarify? Tired of guessing. Beukeboom had 175 in 77 games as a rookie AHLer. He developed into a serviceable defenseman.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Its not that anecdotal. It can certainly be conceived as an excuse regarding his development curve.

I think the "he's basically missed an entire season of hockey since turning pro" part is a bit more important, and he threw the "he had to fight a lot too" in as an aside. Hardly a guy lining up excuses, IMO. His development curve has actually been solid for a player who has missed a considerable amount of time. People pegged him as a 4-5 year project when he was drafted, and that was before he was injured. Now suddenly everyone is just making excuses for him? It's just more of the same crap, really.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Wait, they really drafted McIlrath because he can fight? Is this documented?
Gordie Clark made reference to wanting to bring a certain type of player into the organization, and passing up on players "who did a lot of things better than him" to make the move.

Several times that summer Glen Sather mentioned how he didn't like Lundqvist being run and they felt they needed a guy who would stop it (because that's how it works...).

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
NHL Network Radio Rangers preview Monday August 11

Not sure what time, and these things tend to be repeated on NHL Network Radio on Sirius XM in the summer, but I would definitely keep an ear out for this one. Jim "Boomer" Gordon (no relation to Jim "Friend of the Big Whistle" Gordon) does a really good job with these previews.

It's one solid hour on each team (they've been running basically in alphabetical order, two teams per day - Rangers and Nashville are Monday), with minimal commercial interruption. For those of you not familiar with Boomer, he's a very easy listen - knowledgeable and funny.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
he had 11 majors and something like 170 PIMs...will that really stunt his development? Or is he just saying that he has to stop focusing on fighting and more on the other things that will make him an everyday NHLer. Can we get him on the line to clarify? Tired of guessing.

I don't know, Fletch. I didn't mention it. I did mention it's a concern that the brass are using him fighting the entire AHL is a reason to look at his 100 games as not being really 100 games and believing he hasn't played enough. Whether McIrath is choosing to fight or he's the only guy who will is pretty inconsequential to me. Perhaps the brass feels he would be better served working on all other areas of the game.

Beukeboom had 175 in 77 games as a rookie AHLer. He developed into a serviceable defenseman.

I'm not sure using Beukeboom is a fair measuring stick. Not because of the player but because of the times. The game was much different then. More fighting. Thrived in the clutching and grabbing era. I'm not sure Beukeboom could play in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad