Post-Game Talk: Rangers 1 @ Canucks 2 | 9/12/15 | Winning streak extended to 2 games

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
now would have been a good time for frankie corrado to step in to a top 4 role but he was outplayed by hutton in the preseason and got his spot taken therefore he got waived and isnt being played in toronto. with hamhuis out. top 4 edler/tanev biega/corrado/bartkowski/hutton.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
still think we need to go get jason demers this upcoming free agency at 5x5

edler - tanev
hutton - demers
pedan/sbisa - biega

chych if we miraculously get him. pedan is waiver eligible so he probably makes that jump.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
The PK has been improving, they've allowed 1 PPGA out of 18 times short handed in the last 5 games. This is crucial to their season, they were terrible after Sutter went down and Horvat was forced to carry the load. They seem to be readjusting and Horvat is getting better with the tougher matchups he now has, though they have also tried to take some pressure off of him by going with Hansen, Higgins and Cracknell more.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
There is no reason that Biega should be sitting over Bartkowski/Weber. I'd even put him in over Hamhuis. If the guys running things don't realize that he should be playing more, I hope some other team does. Dude deserves to play in the NHL. He knows what his limitations are and is bright enough to realize to not stretch beyond them.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
There is no reason that Biega should be sitting over Bartkowski/Weber. I'd even put him in over Hamhuis. If the guys running things don't realize that he should be playing more, I hope some other team does. Dude deserves to play in the NHL. He knows what his limitations are and is bright enough to realize to not stretch beyond them.

I don't know about putting him in over Hamhuis but I agree with the sentiment of the post. He keeps his legs moving, and to me is in our top 6 certainly now and maybe even if all are healthy. I don't know if Weber or Bart would clear waivers but Biega deserves his shot at a long look.

On a side note I really do think they should claim Fayne, he was pretty good in NJ and I would take a gamble that getting out of EDM would make him look a lot better. With Hamhuis out longterm we need a steady presence. The idea of having Weber and Bart in the lineup at the same time makes me nervous.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Hutton-Biega pairing worked like a charm in pre-season.

yup, they were fantastic together all be it in a small sample size. biega is just another example of a quietly effective dman who can excel while playing bottom pairing minutes, it shows that these players aren't hard to acquire and you shouldn't be overpaying for them in terms of assets or money.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I just realized that Miller is #2 in GP and #1 in minutes played... Keeping in that mind his uneven season makes more sense. He's looking sharp again now which is crucial if this team wants to make the playoffs.

Team Biega, btw. Hopefully his extended stint will convince even WD and JB that he is at least #5 on the depth chart.

Speedy return, Hammer.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It is funny seeing all the love for av now. Especially after he was run out of town here. Same with Gillis.

It was time for AV to leave here. Both parties are better for it. You think AV would have the success he's having now with the Canucks of the last three seasons? I highly doubt it. In appreciation for what he's done here in the past I wouldn't want to see him back with what anyone can see is a rebuilding roster. He already did that once for us, why would he want to do it again?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It was time for AV to leave here. Both parties are better for it. You think AV would have the success he's having now with the Canucks of the last three seasons? I highly doubt it.
Best coach the Canucks have ever had (didn't think I would've ever said that about anyone better than Quinn or even Neilson before AV became coach); but yeah, I think it was time for him to go.

Much like it was time for Gillis to go.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
It was time for AV to leave here. Both parties are better for it. You think AV would have the success he's having now with the Canucks of the last three seasons? I highly doubt it. In appreciation for what he's done here in the past I wouldn't want to see him back with what anyone can see is a rebuilding roster. He already did that once for us, why would he want to do it again?

I totally agree. I was commenting on peoples wish that we still had av or gillis after both were run out of town. There was a lot of hatred towards those two before they were let go and I find the whole thing amusing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Never been a Rick Nash fan but can he float anymore than he is doing this year? Well at least every game I've seen he's been essentially invisible. And I know Torst took a lot of heat for not playing Kreider but here we are a few seasons later and Kreider is still wildly inconsistent.

Personally thought that through 2 periods the canucks were very much outplayed 5-on-5. They took advantage of some Ranger penalty trouble and then, gasp, Willie put out the #1 line after a goal against and they scored! Two goals from the Sedins, nothing from anyone else.

Also who I'm not sure who was more shocked when Edler scored...me that he actually got a shot through or Edler himself.

Last edited:

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Never been a Rick Nash fan but can he float anymore than he is doing this year? Well at least every game I've seen he's been essentially invisible. And I know Torst took a lot of heat for not playing Kreider but here we are a few seasons later and Kreider is still wildly inconsistent.

Personally thought that through 2 periods the canucks were very much outplayed 5-on-5. They took advantage of some Ranger penalty trouble and then, gasp, Willie put out the #1 line after a goal against and they scored! Two goals from the Sedins, nothing from anyone else.

Also who I'm not sure who was more shocked when Edler scored...me that he actually got a shot through or Edler himself.

I counted 2 or 3 shots that got through last night from him. Incredible times we are living in.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Best coach the Canucks have ever had (didn't think I would've ever said that about anyone better than Quinn or even Neilson before AV became coach); but yeah, I think it was time for him to go.

I buy this from AV but not from the MG. Fans were angry with him but at least they gave a ****.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I totally agree. I was commenting on peoples wish that we still had av or gillis after both were run out of town. There was a lot of hatred towards those two before they were let go and I find the whole thing amusing.

What's amusing is people assuming that the same fans that wanted AV gone now want him back. You do realize "Canuck fans" are not an entity with a single opinion, right?

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I am confused, are you saying willie can't learn new things because of his age? Because he definitely hasn't been exposed to nhl coaching like av, who should know better by now. I sure hope you don't mean a persons age has anything to do with their ability to learn from experience.

kids + internet = myheadhurts

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Post game thread, let's try to stay on topic please, and let's not devolve into another discussion about posters and their perceived intelligence, loyalty, etc. Please re-read the flaming rule and consider it before you post.

Flaming: Do not post any messages that harass, insult (name calling), belittle, threaten or mock other members. Debates are fine, but critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks are not permitted. Do not call other posters trolls. Do not use sweeping generalizations and plural pronouns to cloak personal attacks. For example if a poster(s) states that he thinks 'x' is a good idea, replying that "Anyone who supports 'x' is an idiot" is a personal attack. Do not start threads to call out and embarrass other members. We do not permit any forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. This is viewed as generalized flaming.

You'll have to excuse Mcfly as he doesn't know that attacking a Mod isn't exactly kosher.:laugh:

I admit, I did a couple double takes. I mean, I know I'm not beloved on this site but I'm neither a kid or think I'm smart! ;)

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Assuming everyone that has a different opinion is a kid + people that think that they are smarter than they actually are = myheadhurts

I think you have to give WD a chance. He is only in his second year at this level, making critical judgments about his intelligence is a bit premature.

Anyways it's a real good win. Good thing we have 3 days off. We're always so far ahead in games played.

*** I apologize for my stupidity. Some psychotic, homeless person recently tried to stab me to death, I barely escaped with my life. I'm just lashing out. *** Sorry

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
My issue with willie is an elderly guy has a lot more apprehension to change or new ideas than a young coach.

So being older and no nhl experience is a toxic cocktail for success.

I think green comes in next season. After the team gets a juicy pick.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
My issue with willie is an elderly guy has a lot more apprehension to change or new ideas than a young coach.

So being older and no nhl experience is a toxic cocktail for success.

I think green comes in next season. After the team gets a juicy pick.

I can't say I like WD, but given the fact that he was able to revitalize the twins and Edler I think I'm willing to observe him a little longer.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Disagree. It was time for Aquillini to go. Once your owner meddles and constrains the GM you're doomed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad