Post-Game Talk: Rangers 1 @ Canucks 2 | 9/12/15 | Winning streak extended to 2 games

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
SoVqjrS.png

uTWnXvC.png

sNlRKTD.png

QgzrhON.png

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
New powerplay looks way better, instead of a 1-3-1 they seem to be just playing Vrbata at the point. Seems to be a lot more movement out there.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
These two games in hand are gonna bite this team hard

Hope Hammer has a quick recovery

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Let me tell you about AV and the Rangers. As I'm sure you guys know, all AV cares about is matchups and deployments. Guy is obsessed with zone starts.

Great coach on Vancouver because they had the Sedins who are cycle machines. They had Malhotra with two eyes who was a maestro defensively, and yes that ******* Kesler who was good defensively. They were a deployment team with a deployment coach and it totally worked.

Reason I don't like AV is he's totally unable to do anything else besides deployments. The Rangers have nothing even resembling a top C or a top D. They should avoid set matchups like the plague.

And yet this clown AV keeps sending McDonagh-Girardi out against the other team's best despite it being painfully obvious that they can't handle it: around 38% corsi for this year when they're together.

But he keeps sending them out against the Sedins and players like them, and on the winner, we see that McDonagh and Girardi are both way out of position.

AV is smart and has his niche, but you guys know how stubborn he is. He's trying his niche on a team it just won't work on, but he's convinced himself it's working. When AV is convinced it's working, he's going to do it forever, despite it exploding in his face every single night.

I see people complain about Willie D all the time on here, but the grass is always greener...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?type=lea#&navid=nav-stn-league

Your team is the one in fourth.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
WOO HOO...

Two games .... two wins.

- Great defensive systems win tonight. Some people say the first two periods were boring, I say the Canucks played the EXACT type of game to give themselves a chance to win. No outnumbered chances and no chinese fire drills.
- Biega played a very huge role in the first two periods with the perfect balance between physical play and not taking a penalty. I love this guy. He is a mini-bulldog and when you're battling against him, you either have to put him down or he will take the puck away.
- Horvat is hurt. 100% he is hurt. Lower body. Back, hip, something to do with his core. Zero acceleration and laboring like hell when he's done his shift. Had a few very good face off wins though.
- Not very good game for McCann and it showed in his ice time. Trying fancy **** in our zone and turned it over.
- Baertchi's most noticeable game. He was flying out there and absolutely ripped one against Lundquist in the first and almost caught him by surprise. I hope there is more of this to come.
- ****ing refs and their BS game management.
- Very solid game by Miller
- Dan was the architect of his own demise :shakehead I hope he's alright. :(
- Hank was playing like it was 2011 all over again. Extremely assertive with the puck and when Dank scored from that gorgeous feed by Edler, Hank (and everyone) was pumped!
- Bart can **** right off

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I just think it's unfair to Desjardins that a lot of people on here think it's so much better everywhere else.

Every coach does things that make you wonder how they have a job. They're humans like the rest of us.

You cray...

We had AV and now have WD. AV is just leaps and bounds smarter.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
New powerplay looks way better, instead of a 1-3-1 they seem to be just playing Vrbata at the point. Seems to be a lot more movement out there.

They were trying some very different looks tonight... Had Edler playing the left side half boards for one of them! That had Vrby and A twin at the points... It was a weird look.. But hey.. He did ok. Don't know if I would wanna see again tho... But it gives the opposition something to think about. Heh heh..

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
- Biega played a very huge role in the first two periods with the perfect balance between physical play and not taking a penalty. I love this guy. He is a mini-bulldog and when you're battling against him, you either have to put him down or he will take the puck away.

Agreed. He's not a perfect player, but he leaves it all out there. Fights hard for every puck, and that makes a difference with our defence.

- Horvat is hurt. 100% he is hurt. Lower body. Back, hip, something to do with his core. Zero acceleration and laboring like hell when he's done his shift. Had a few very good face off wins though.

I'm not sure if it's "hurt", but he still really doesn't look to have the sort of jump and speed that he had late last year. Could be an injury. But i think probably just as likely...he's a sophomore player still trying to figure out how to come into an NHL season in "peak form". Can take some guys a while to settle on that goldilocks "just right" training program and target for the start of the season. Bo's always been a guy who seems to come on stronger as the season wears on. Not sure what the deal is, but his speed and acceleration are clearly not up to the standard he set as a "peak" benchmark last year. :dunno:

- Baertchi's most noticeable game. He was flying out there and absolutely ripped one against Lundquist in the first and almost caught him by surprise. I hope there is more of this to come.

Something that seemed apparent in this game, Bae making a more concerted effort to battle for pucks like he means business, and to put pucks toward the net (including that shot you mentioned). Definitely the sort of direction he needs to be heading if he wants to stick. Encouraging effort.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Agreed. He's not a perfect player, but he leaves it all out there. Fights hard for every puck, and that makes a difference with our defence.

I'm not sure if it's "hurt", but he still really doesn't look to have the sort of jump and speed that he had late last year. Could be an injury. But i think probably just as likely...he's a sophomore player still trying to figure out how to come into an NHL season in "peak form". Can take some guys a while to settle on that goldilocks "just right" training program and target for the start of the season. Bo's always been a guy who seems to come on stronger as the season wears on. Not sure what the deal is, but his speed and acceleration are clearly not up to the standard he set as a "peak" benchmark last year. :dunno:

Something that seemed apparent in this game, Bae making a more concerted effort to battle for pucks like he means business, and to put pucks toward the net (including that shot you mentioned). Definitely the sort of direction he needs to be heading if he wants to stick. Encouraging effort.

Been thinking it might be this, but wasn't he looking pretty explosive in preseason? And then... gone. I can't decide if he's injured or not, but the speed isn't there, and speed is one of the things that made him so unexpectedly dangerous last year.

I feel like his overall game has settled down the last little while, though, despite whatever it is that ails him. He's improving in other ways, although not every shift of the game. I think his PK work has picked up, for example. Closing off lanes better.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Let me tell you about AV and the Rangers. As I'm sure you guys know, all AV cares about is matchups and deployments. Guy is obsessed with zone starts.

Great coach on Vancouver because they had the Sedins who are cycle machines. They had Malhotra with two eyes who was a maestro defensively, and yes that ******* Kesler who was good defensively. They were a deployment team with a deployment coach and it totally worked.

Reason I don't like AV is he's totally unable to do anything else besides deployments. The Rangers have nothing even resembling a top C or a top D. They should avoid set matchups like the plague.

And yet this clown AV keeps sending McDonagh-Girardi out against the other team's best despite it being painfully obvious that they can't handle it: around 38% corsi for this year when they're together.

But he keeps sending them out against the Sedins and players like them, and on the winner, we see that McDonagh and Girardi are both way out of position.

AV is smart and has his niche, but you guys know how stubborn he is. He's trying his niche on a team it just won't work on, but he's convinced himself it's working. When AV is convinced it's working, he's going to do it forever, despite it exploding in his face every single night.

I see people complain about Willie D all the time on here, but the grass is always greener...

But nobody wants to hear this because it doesn't fit the current simplistic narrative. WilleD sucks! AV is way better!

At the same time of course AV is a better coach overall than WD. WD is a second year NHL coach.

But I think you do a good job of objectively recognizing AV's flaws. People forget that we dominated the regular season under AV and then barring the 2011 run, proceeded to crap the bed in the playoffs.

I've said this countless times. You don't notice AV's issues until the playoffs. Nobody can argue AV isn't a good coach. But for him to be great he has to win a SC, and we've seen time and again how his issues have kept that from happening.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Bo's not winning any 1 on 1 battles.

He's useless on the forecheck

And he's taking a REALLY long time to get off the ice after his shift.

You don't have to score if you're doing all the little things right like Burr is.

And Bo isn't a floating type of player.

So the only logical conclusion that I can think of is that he's playing hurt.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This is WD second year in the NHL, AV is in his what...13th year? Of course AV is experienced but it wasn't until his second stint in Vancouver where he began to take off. He was alright in Montreal but he barely had any to no help in terms of talent.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Willie is 58 and has been coaching for decades. He's an old dog and has proven the NHL is a trick he hasn't learned. Lets not pretend this is going to get better.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
This is WD second year in the NHL, AV is in his what...13th year? Of course AV is experienced but it wasn't until his second stint in Vancouver where he began to take off. He was alright in Montreal but he barely had any to no help in terms of talent.

AV started coaching in 1986

WD started coaching in 1997

AV is 54

WD is 58

AV became a NHL head coach in 1997

AV literally became a head coach of a NHL team the same season as Willie became a WHL coach. AV isn't learning new tricks. Then this old dog ain't learning any either.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Willie is 58 and has been coaching for decades. He's an old dog and has proven the NHL is a trick he hasn't learned. Lets not pretend this is going to get better.

A person just can't suddenly think faster out of the blue

And that is what WD's greatest fault is. To line match you gotta be a quick thinker and recognize what the other coach is doing and react accordingly

Like getting the Sedins on when Chara is not on the ice for example (which didn't happen btw).

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
But nobody wants to hear this because it doesn't fit the current simplistic narrative. WilleD sucks! AV is way better!

At the same time of course AV is a better coach overall than WD. WD is a second year NHL coach.

But I think you do a good job of objectively recognizing AV's flaws. People forget that we dominated the regular season under AV and then barring the 2011 run, proceeded to crap the bed in the playoffs.

I've said this countless times. You don't notice AV's issues until the playoffs. Nobody can argue AV isn't a good coach. But for him to be great he has to win a SC, and we've seen time and again how his issues have kept that from happening.

very good post and I agree with a lot of the points here. AV is a good coach, but imo not a very good coach in playoffs where "adjustments" are critical.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Missed the game
Sven got over 11 minutes ! Miracles happen :sarcasm:

Glad to hear he seemed to have a pretty decent game though

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
AV started coaching in 1986

WD started coaching in 1997

AV is 54

WD is 58

AV became a NHL head coach in 1997

AV literally became a head coach of a NHL team the same season as Willie became a WHL coach. AV isn't learning new tricks. Then this old dog ain't learning any either.

I am confused, are you saying willie can't learn new things because of his age? Because he definitely hasn't been exposed to nhl coaching like av, who should know better by now. I sure hope you don't mean a persons age has anything to do with their ability to learn from experience.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I am confused, are you saying willie can't learn new things because of his age? Because he definitely hasn't been exposed to nhl coaching like av, who should know better by now. I sure hope you don't mean a persons age has anything to do with their ability to learn from experience.

Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad