Ranger signings/walks that you hated

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Wade Redden. Never understood who Sather was bidding against.

It is kind of odd, we always hear stuff like Glass, Boyle were offered more to go somewhere else, same for Redden.

MSL would only go to one place, Nash pretty much too

Seriously who were they really bidding against? Like did the other GMs and agents just make stuff up and the Rangers bought it hook line and sinker?

We better sign Voros and Rissmiller on the first day of free agency, their agents are saying if we wait the price is going to go up.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
If I remember correctly, the thought after losing Messier (and Sakic) was they were going to be more of a trap team. So they got Keane and Skrudland. But they still weren't equipped to play that way. It was a slap-dash, sloppy about face that obviously didn't work.

The Rangers signed Keene and Skrudlund BEFORE Messier left for Vancouver. Messier, Leetch, and Richter were in the Bahamas fishing at the time. The trio high-fived at the thought of adding those two guys to the team. Obviously, when Messier left that mood about the signings changed. If you also remember when Keene and Skrudlund were traded at the 98 deadline they both said they would not have signed with the Rangers if they knew Messier was leaving.....Those weren't reactionary signings to Messier leaving, they were part of the plan to go further than the 97 ECF.

Also, to another point you made. Calgary offered Wade Redden more money. Not that it's an excuse for the signing, but the Rangers weren't bidding against themselves.

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
The Rangers signed Keene and Skrudlund BEFORE Messier left for Vancouver. Messier, Leetch, and Richter were in the Bahamas fishing at the time. The trio high-fived at the thought of adding those two guys to the team. Obviously, when Messier left that mood about the signings changed. If you also remember when Keene and Skrudlund were traded at the 98 deadline they both said they would not have signed with the Rangers if they knew Messier was leaving.....Those weren't reactionary signings to Messier leaving, they were part of the plan to go further than the 97 ECF.

Also, to another point you made. Calgary offered Wade Redden more money. Not that it's an excuse for the signing, but the Rangers weren't bidding against themselves.

Good Stuff, SOS, my memory not what it used to be.
I do distinctly remember the Papers/MSG network touting the Skrudland/Keane combo though.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Letting Jagr walk.

He and Lundqvist turned us around from being the joke of the NHL for a decade to a respectable team again. He should have been offered a contract.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
after the '05 lockout, Jagr planned all along to return to Siberia while he could still play well , he wanted to play closer to friends and family for while, and he said he had really enjoyed his lockout season there

He wasn't offered a contract so he left. He said it himself he would have stayed if he was given a contract but he wasn't going to go begging for one from Sather.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

Yep. Those two and Tim Taylor were supposed to be the GOAT shutdown line that year.

*Bob Richards*

I know it's just the 4th line and all but letting Boyle walked really sucked. He was so strong with Dom Moore that it really didn't matter if the 2nd winger was Dorsett or Carcillo (even though I thought both had moments of solid effectiveness IMO).

Thought we had one of the best if not the best 4th line in the NHL during 2013-14.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Sylvain Lefebvre. Stephane Quintal. Valeri Kamensky. Kevin Hatcher. Theo Fleury. Tim Taylor.

Yeah that's all from the 1999.

Marcus AKA Kluivert

Dec 19, 2014
Yep. Those two and Tim Taylor were supposed to be the GOAT shutdown line that year.

Actually, Tim Taylor came later in the Fleury, Kamensky, Quintal, Lefebrve and McLean frenzy.

Keane and Skrudland was supposed to form a checking line with Bill Berg.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015

A bunch of GM's partying in a room together seeing how mindbogglingly stupid they could watch him be. There's no other explanation for it besides extra terrestrials.

Letting Stralman go to sign Boyle, nothing comes close in recent time imo.

This for the other category. And the worst part about both of these is that they were incredibly obvious before they happened, not in hindsight.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
He wasn't offered a contract so he left. He said it himself he would have stayed if he was given a contract but he wasn't going to go begging for one from Sather.

That's not true he wanted to be the highest paid player on the team and the Rangers, after having him for a discount for so many years because Washington ate part of his salary, said they weren't gonna give him the moon

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

The Columbus Blue Jackets. Ken Hitchcock was pushing the FO hard to sign Wade Redden as a UFA.

Doesn't make the signing any better (even though it had no discernible impact on the NYR, as they were able to bury the contract), but I would hope Sather received some nice holiday gifts for "winning" a UFA battle. Also remember Gainey wasn't the only GM who showed interest in Gomez, wish more of those stories leak over the years.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sylvain Lefebvre. Stephane Quintal. Valeri Kamensky. Kevin Hatcher. Theo Fleury. Tim Taylor.

Yeah that's all from the 1999.
Could not stand Kamensky being signed. Same thing with Lefeeble.

Will say that recently, Redden and Malik are ones that I could not stand.

And from a younger age, I was really put out when George McPhee was not returned :)

Vickers8

Should have let Eddie Giacomin finish his career as a Ranger, bad move

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
In hindsight a lot of the recent signings were bad, but kinda made sense at the time. Not many people complaining about the Girardi signing when it first happened, even if it went downhill fast (really fast). I thought Staal was risky at the time, and it turned out the way, but same as Girardi not too many complaints. Dan Boyle was dumb, but the Rangers at least need one ~40 year old per season.

Not signing Stralman pisses me off more than any of the other signings/non-singings. Guy was phenomenal, better than Girardi and maybe even Staal have ever been, and much better than a 38 year old Boyle, yet they didn't even try.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
Letting Jagr walk.

He and Lundqvist turned us around from being the joke of the NHL for a decade to a respectable team again. He should have been offered a contract.

Jagr took that last season off, and admitted it after the playoffs were over. Said he took games off, which while true, you don't say.

He also iirc told Sather he needed to be the highest paid player on the team since he was the best player, understandable, but also understandable why Sather didn't want to give him $8M/yr. I'm not even sure they could have with the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad