Ranger signings/walks that you hated

AVsTimeOut

Jan 31, 2012
AV's Gum Retailer.
To build off of the worst NYR trades thread, how about the pick-ups that you thought were the worst? Whether it may be UFA pickups, contract extensions, or guys you hated to see walk in Free Agency. We know the consensus ones like Glass, Girardi/Staal's extension, etc... But how about one's that personally piss you off. For me, Verbeek leaving for Dallas is up there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I know Glen was just giving this kid a chance to redeem himself and have a career but I would have never signed Billy Tibbetts.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Signing Brashear wasn't very fun.

Oh, good one. But, I was mad about that because I thought we had a much better option in Orr that we let go for nothing. Well, that and because I hated Brashear for breaking Betts' face.

One of my favorite post-lockout memories is Shanny fighting Brashear at center ice.

This is a tough thing to answer, hindsight being 20/20 and all. Good thread idea!

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Nylander walking was bad.

Trying to replace him with Gomez, Drury to play with Jagr was worse.

The list is just too long.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
Letting Hagelin walk - I know it would have been difficult (nearly impossible) to fit him under the cap, but I really miss that guy, especially on the PK

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
Before the 1997 season, after Messier left, we signed Brian Skrudland and Mike Keane. While these guys were not expected to replace Messier's pruduction, they were supposed to be gritty veteran leaders. The only thing of note Keane accomplished while he was a Ranger was injuring teammate and fellow off-season acquisition, Pat LaFontaine.

On the bright side, Keane and Skrudland were later traded for fan favorite, though constantly injured, Todd Harvey.

This year is also what I would consider to be the start of the "Dark Ages"

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Before the 1997 season, after Messier left, we signed Brian Skrudland and Mike Keane. While these guys were not expected to replace Messier's pruduction, they were supposed to be gritty veteran leaders. The only thing of note Keane accomplished while he was a Ranger was injuring teammate and fellow off-season acquisition, Pat LaFontaine.

If I remember correctly, the thought after losing Messier (and Sakic) was they were going to be more of a trap team. So they got Keane and Skrudland. But they still weren't equipped to play that way. It was a slap-dash, sloppy about face that obviously didn't work.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Lots of the ex-Devils signings pissed me off... Driver, MacLean, Holik (what a massive joke of a contract that was). I didn't mind the Gomez signing that much at first but quickly grew to hate it.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I know Glen was just giving this kid a chance to redeem himself and have a career but I would have never signed Billy Tibbetts.
This. It actually caused me to loose a little of my passion for the Rangers for a while. I'm all for giving guys second chances, but he had no business being in a position where kids would look up to him.

GraveyTrain9

Mar 13, 2008
New York
Still pissed about letting Jagr walk... He was great for this organization and clearly had some good seasons left in the tank.

And of course letting Stralman go to replace him with Boyle was absurd

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Kamensky is A#1 on my list.

I would also add Zarlie (sp?) Zalapski was a quick fail since he left before even playing.

Brashear was not fun, but adding Rich Pilon off of waivers made me cringe.

I also remember Grosek being likened to his early days with so much potential and that he was going to be the rangers next big thing. That could be a little revisionist history, but i remember him being pretty highly touted at one time. Can't remember if he was a FA signing or trade though.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There have been several that fit the criteria.

Walk
Stralman
Nylander- He was old but that created the Drury signing, not saying Gomez since that equals McDonagh
Messier- Rangers window would have stayed open for a year or 2 with him then
Brian Boyle- Team needs him. Very good role player.
Prust- Not advocating losing him at that price, but man he took the black and blueshirt identity with him
Jagr- maybe he needed some time off, but the guy as unhappy he seemed at the end of his tenure here, laid it all on the line during those playoffs

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Jim Dorey, was the right tough depth guy as Flyers Broad Street Bullies were emerging, but WHA was paying really well

personally i think these worst trade/walk topics belong in the off-season

but i understand that its enjoyable and distracting to look away from this falling-apart season

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Still pissed about letting Jagr walk... He was great for this organization and clearly had some good seasons left in the tank.

after the '05 lockout, Jagr planned all along to return to Siberia while he could still play well , he wanted to play closer to friends and family for while, and he said he had really enjoyed his lockout season there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad