OT: Randy's OT Shindig: Gotta find a way to stay occupied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I only play one on one versus, but I think
the first thing I’d do is trade Murray because goalies outside of Markstrom seem to have no effect.
Obscure goalies do well. Murray, Gibson, etc are so bad and there's no reasoning besides their game engine continuing to suck.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you're quarantined and want to try something a little different music-wise (while you're gaming or otherwise), I just pumped the tires on this on the main board. Crank it for full effect:

Incredible song. Great rhythms, forceful, evolving horn arrangements, memorable cover art, a chorus of women shouting "because the shit dey smell", and a great story about political corruption, drugs, and turd swappin':

And only 13 minutes long. Pretty short for Fela!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've always wanted to get into their stuff since it sounds so nice but I feel like I'd be kinda wasting it if I didn't have like... a whole wire-crazed modular system hooked up to it/through it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've always wanted to get into their stuff since it sounds so nice but I feel like I'd be kinda wasting it if I didn't have like... a whole wire-crazed modular system hooked up to it/through it.

What I like about the Dreadbox stuff is it seems pretty useable as a straight-ahead desktop or even live synth, not just as part of a Eurorack system. Also, the Erebus sounds gnarly as hell and might be great for some lo-fi HTRK-style atmospheric pads/drones

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What I like about the Dreadbox stuff is it seems pretty useable as a straight-ahead desktop or even live synth, not just as part of a Eurorack system. Also, the Erebus sounds gnarly as hell and might be great for some lo-fi HTRK-style atmospheric pads/drones

Yeah that's why I like their stuff... it has a very unique sound to it.

And you're right in most functional ways I suppose they are no different than my Moog Granny. Just sans keyboard. You don't really HAVE to get into the patch bay stuff too much.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah that's why I like their stuff... it has a very unique sound to it.

And you're right in most functional ways I suppose they are no different than my Moog Granny. Just sans keyboard. You don't really HAVE to get into the patch bay stuff too much.

But the NYX has a DRONE switch! :laugh: Nah, I'd honestly love to get my virus-covered mitts on a Moog. Even if it'd be just to use it as a filter for running other things through.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But the NYX has a DRONE switch! :laugh: Nah, I'd honestly love to get my virus-covered mitts on a Moog. Even if it'd be just to use it as a filter for running other things through.

I know it's 800 bucks but man... as far as monos go, at least... I cannot recommend the Granny enough. I'd love to be able to afford a Matriarch but the Granny is more than enough for my needs. Haven't even gotten close to the bottom of THAT rabbithole.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I ended up going with the Amazon knockoff for the couch. $400 is cheap enough where I'm willing to get a temporary couch that looks nice. That couch seems to be nicer than stuff you can get at Ikea for that price, so I don't have any complaints. Like this couch certainly doesn't look low quality to me and the reviews are really good:

V7QlCgk.png

I don't see why I can't get a cheap couch now and get a Burrow couch in a year or 2, maybe when they revamp their design and/or decrease the cost.
Try to haggle for the display model. All you need to do then is to get it cleaned and you've got a burrow at a better cost if you're strapped and don't want to blow your budget on one sofa you know?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Try to haggle for the display model. All you need to do then is to get it cleaned and you've got a burrow at a better cost if you're strapped and don't want to blow your budget on one sofa you know?

Not to be cynical, but I’m sure you can haggle the display models way down in this time of plague. :laugh:

OT, how you holding up? Feeling any better?

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Are new acoustic guitars in the $150–200 range any good, or am I better off buying something used for that price? I just want something to mess around with. Any recommendations?

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
The Weeknd album is crazy. The production is dope, fav tracks so far “Faith”, “Alone Again” and “Save your tears”.... Canada stays winning, what more can I say? :popcorn::laugh:

Baby boom in 9 months is 100% confirmed.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not to be cynical, but I’m sure you can haggle the display models way down in this time of plague. :laugh:

OT, how you holding up? Feeling any better?
We went for a walk in my backyard and I definitely didn't feel right. My shortness of breath really bothered me and the coughing I can do without. My fever isn't too bad though. They still won't test me because the symptoms aren't severe enough.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We went for a walk in my backyard and I definitely didn't feel right. My shortness of breath really bothered me and the coughing I can do without. My fever isn't too bad though. They still won't test me because the symptoms aren't severe enough.

Get lots of rest and fluids man, and keep the emergency number on speed dial.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Are new acoustic guitars in the $150–200 range any good, or am I better off buying something used for that price? I just want something to mess around with. Any recommendations?

Quite a few actually, but honestly, you’re almost always better off buying used guitars if you know what to look for or can try it out first.

Since I was posting on the fly, here's my recommendations for new:
Alvarez Artist series -- they're a bit bigger (dreadnought size), but they're good sounding and affordable.
Gretsch Jim Dandy -- Cheaper, smaller, but tons of fun to play, and if you're a beginner, the smaller frets and lower action will be easier for you to learn on.
Washburn WD100 series-- another good choice for dreadnought-sized guitars, but really good bang for the buck.

If you're going used, you can step up a bit in quality, but it's a bit of a gamble if you're not able to try the guitar before you buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogthateats

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
LOL. Banned from the Beer Virus thread because I bit the bait. We all knew I would go out this way. :laugh:

Anywho, @BlindWillyMcHurt, did you see this re: cool free modular synth stuff:

Free Voltage Modular Nucleus

I really wish there was more of a crackdown on the "ignorant people pretending to be geniuses" in that thread. It's really annoying to read the "actually think for yourself, this disease isn't that bad" posts when they're offering literally zero support outside of their uneducated opinion.

But that's the internet for you today, even if you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, you feel entitled to share your opinion on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad