Randy Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
you Get to post one reason only, this thread could possibly go for pages there are so many, but let’s just give one reason
I’ll go with

Last two games that Gibson was pulled, Randy had to be argued with to get him out of the net.
You don’t mess with the one player that has produced competitiveness

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Season is not salvageable, hopefully Randy is given a non-effecting front office position and has been given the directive to tank, any new coach now might try to win the job. Play out the season, get a top lottery pick, start a new system with a new coach, try to offload older players...

No need to disrupt san diego, both the coach and the players.

Reactions: wraparound

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How about that his teams get significantly worse after he takes over and significantly better after he leaves.

He was a good coach until 2009. Then the game started changing and he couldn’t adapt to the new NHL.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
If this organization thinks it's window is still open then it needs a coach who can:

A. Adapt to the changing game in the NHL and

B. Utilize the teams personnel, especially it's aging forward core, in a league that is getting younger and faster.

Is Randy Carlyle that coach? I don't believe he is, but he's not the only problem. The goaltending and defense is going to be good for the next 5-7 years, at least. But the forward core needs a big time youth infusion, and there's nobody that can step up to replace Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, etc. GMBM is an anove average GM, but by going with older forwards and locking them in long term he handcuffed this team. The window closed a couple years ago IMO.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The team needs a shake up if the organization really wants to salvage this season.

I'm less concerned about this season and more concerned about the future. If this season is lost, it's lost. Anaheim could use a high draft pick. They've done remarkably well at supplementing talent without high draft picks. Having the opportunity to add a legitimate star talent would be pretty great.

What I'm concerned about is that finally moving on from Carlyle may cost us Gibson. Even if Murray pulls his head out of his ass and makes that decision, what does it say to the players that it takes so long because the GM refuses to acknowledge he f***ed up?

Carlyle is mismanaging this team, in pretty much every situation, and yet nothing is done. What message does that send to the players?

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Randy needed to go months ago and now I'm legitimately concerned he's permanently damaged Gibson. Just promote one of the assistant coaches to interim HC, collect a high draft pick, and hire an actual good coach in the off-season.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Gibson should be a big boy enough to not demand a trade because of one garbage season, and also reticent enough to know Carlyle is done after these last 30 games.

If he can't do that and wants out then that isn't a player I'd want anyway. That's ridiculous.

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
We gotta ride this out now and try to get a top 3 draft pick. I’d play Chad Johnson more so it doesn’t ruin Gibbys confidence playing every game with a team like that in front of him.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Gibson should be a big boy enough to not demand a trade because of one garbage season, and also reticent enough to know Carlyle is done after these last 30 games.

If he can't do that and wants out then that isn't a player I'd want anyway. That's ridiculous.

While I agree with you, how can you have confidence in an organization that allows your coach to do so poorly? To embarrass your goaltender like that? When even the players are trying to protect the goaltender from the decisions of the coach?

It's not just about Carlyle. It's also the decisions and the inactivity of the General Manager.

I think the players need to feel like the team wants to take care of them too, and in more ways than just a paycheck.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Supporters of RC have cited his ability to have a good defensive system and play matchups well. The Ducks defensive system is a joke, with an average goalie would have given up 20-30 more goals this season, IMO. The matchup thing is total BS. How much intelligence does it take to just throw the same line out there against the other team's same line the entire game? Good coaches adjust to how the game is going-or how the season is circling the drain.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
While I agree with you, how can you have confidence in an organization that allows your coach to do so poorly? To embarrass your goaltender like that? When even the players are trying to protect the goaltender from the decisions of the coach?

It's not just about Carlyle. It's also the decisions and the inactivity of the General Manager.

I think the players need to feel like the team wants to take care of them too, and in more ways than just a paycheck.
Teams have bad years all the time, worse than this one. This franchise has been lucky enough to have maybe two of these, including this one, in 20 years? And we have to be worried about players demanding out because of it? That seems insane to me, and indicative of an environment that just isn't used to not having success.

Every team goes through this. The players are professionals and should know that this happens.

Reactions: Masch78

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
I'm worried about Gibson as well. A mediocre team with that goaltending is a Wild Card team, at least. This team is on pace for 80 points, it's worst full season total since the last time he got fired from Anaheim. Gibson may not want to play here for RC, and he may not care anymore. You could tell last night that he stopped trying, that last goal was especially weak, and he looked like he didn't care at all.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Teams have bad years all the time, worse than this one. This franchise has been lucky enough to have maybe two of these, including this one, in 20 years? And we have to be worried about players demanding out because of it? That seems insane to me, and indicative of an environment that just isn't used to not having success.

Every team goes through this. The players are professionals and should know that this happens.

I think the difference here is you're dismissing it as a bad year, and I'm viewing it as a year being lost due to a coach and a GM who refuses to make a change.

Bad years do happen, and if this team just wasn't good enough I'd have no issue at all. I just don't think that's the case here.

Edit: And, just to be clear, I'm not saying this is some Cup contending team being pulled down by poor coaching. It's a flawed roster, but I don't think it's so flawed that these results should be expected. Anaheim is a team that I think would benefit from a new system, and a new mindset behind the bench. The team, systemically, is a mess. It's exactly the kind of situation where I'd expect a coaching change to be made. You won't make a Cup contender out of it, but you'll certainly get better results.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

What about the behavior of BM and RC leads you to believe that this is a “one year” phenomenon? The flaws were obvious in the regular season and playoffs last year. They’ve gotten far worse this year, and the GM is on record as saying the team isn’t good enough, and appears to be tanking. Why would Gibson want to waste the next 3-5 years of his prime on either the RC shit show or (more likely) a rebuilding team?

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Wasted 3 years of prime Getzlaf/Perry on this dinosaur coach. I refuse to spend anymore money on this team until they make a change.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Gibson's been very frustrated for awhile now. Last night, after the break, when he saw the same old things going on in front of him, I think he kind of snapped. You know, frequent 2 on 1's with breakdowns, uncovered guys in front of the net, breakaways when neither D even knew the guy was behind them. He probably wanted out after 3, but RC was doing the old school red ass thing. No John, suck it up and stay out there. After 4, he was mentally done. 5 and 6 he showed little effort. If Getzlaf wouldn't have intervened, who knows how many RC would have let him give up?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What about the behavior of BM and RC leads you to believe that this is a “one year” phenomenon? The flaws were obvious in the regular season and playoffs last year. They’ve gotten far worse this year, and the GM is on record as saying the team isn’t good enough, and appears to be tanking. Why would Gibson want to waste the next 3-5 years of his prime on either the RC **** show or (more likely) a rebuilding team?
Then he shouldn't have signed.

I completely disagree with those who think this is a long term rebuilding project.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think the difference here is you're dismissing it as a bad year, and I'm viewing it as a year being lost due to a coach and a GM who refuses to make a change.

Bad years do happen, and if this team just wasn't good enough I'd have no issue at all. I just don't think that's the case here.

Edit: And, just to be clear, I'm not saying this is some Cup contending team being pulled down by poor coaching. It's a flawed roster, but I don't think it's so flawed that these results should be expected. Anaheim is a team that I think would benefit from a new system, and a new mindset behind the bench. The team, systemically, is a mess. It's exactly the kind of situation where I'd expect a coaching change to be made. You won't make a Cup contender out of it, but you'll certainly get better results.
Carlyle isn't going to be the coach next season. I view this as a one season thing because it's been the perfect storm of bad. Injuries and coaching have sunk this team.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Then he shouldn't have signed.

I completely disagree with those who think this is a long term rebuilding project.

I have no idea what Murray's goal here is. All I know is that I'm seeing a team that is being mismanaged on the ice.

It isn't unreasonable to want to consider player satisfaction here. Anaheim can be a struggling team, and you can still send the right message to your players by trying to encourage a good environment and giving them a sign you give a shit about them, and putting together a competitive team.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Carlyle isn't going to be the coach next season. I view this as a one season thing because it's been the perfect storm of bad. Injuries and coaching have sunk this team.

Then we simply disagree on that, in large part due to an issue you yourself are admitting: Coaching.

Coaches are routinely fired mid-season for the benefit of the team. Calling the season a loss and sticking with a coach who is a problem is not smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad