Randy Carlyle's return to Winnipeg

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Subplot of tomorrow's game against the Leafs is Carlyle's return to Winnipeg. Do you know if there's a "tribute" or anything planned by the team? I hope he gets a warm welcome.

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Subplot of tomorrow's game against the Leafs is Carlyle's return to Winnipeg. Do you know if there's a "tribute" or anything planned by the team? I hope he gets a warm welcome.

Don't expect any video tributes.

They will probably show him on the scoreboard screen for a bit so the crowd can give him a nice appaluse.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
He can have a warm welcome, but we already gave him a fishing boat.

Wouldn't mind if the ref gave him 2 minutes for hooking, for old time sakes.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
He can have a warm welcome, but we already gave him a fishing boat.

Wouldn't mind if the ref gave him 2 minutes for hooking, for old time sakes.

Gil - when did he get the fishing boat? I remember from his playing days that he enjoyed fishing - and especially ice fishing in the winter...

One thing I recall about Carlyle is that he enjoyed his time in Winnipeg and has never said a bad word about our city.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Gil - when did he get the fishing boat? I remember from his playing days that he enjoyed fishing - and especially ice fishing in the winter...

One thing I recall about Carlyle is that he enjoyed his time in Winnipeg and has never said a bad word about our city.

I can't recall the exact reason...maybe his retirement gift? I was at the game, and so was the boat. Randy wasn't playing though, so I think it might have been after he announced his retirement.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I could see them giving a quick acknowledgment during a TV timeout, similar to what they did with Hedberg and Grabner (I'm pretty sure?)

RonJon

May 18, 2011
I could see them giving a quick acknowledgment during a TV timeout, similar to what they did with Hedberg and Grabner (I'm pretty sure?)

Or similar to what they did for Doan. Acknowledge him as a former player and coach, but kitty doesn't reach Teemu status :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Worked with his son for a bit when he was with Anaheim, here in Winnipeg. Obviously didn't mind the city too much as he kept a residence here. Hopefully they do something for him.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems to me there was a stretch during the Moose years when Carlyle was pretty much the face of Hockey in Winnipeg.

I hope we honor him... by beating his Leafs 8-0. :naughty:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The last time I saw the Leafs play the Jets was in the early to mid eighties. We won 7-1 or 7-0 and Ed Stanowski was in net.

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
The last time I saw the Leafs play the Jets was in the early to mid eighties. We won 7-1 or 7-0 and Ed Stanowski was in net.

I remember that game!! One of my few childhood memories, think that was my first game, my family was more a "Shmockey Night in Canada" type.

Just looked it up, 7-0 in March 1982, Eddie was in the nets, before Soetart took over the starting job. I remember one save he made was a scramble in front and he turned around facing the net cuz he thought the puck was in, and they shot it and it hit the back of his skate and went off to the corner.

Interesting - in 83-84 we played the Leafs 3 times and scored 8 goals...in each game! Those were the days...

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I can't recall the exact reason...maybe his retirement gift? I was at the game, and so was the boat. Randy wasn't playing though, so I think it might have been after he announced his retirement.

I think it was for his 1000th NHL game, but this is a LONG time ago, so my memory's likely off.....

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Chipman loved the Moose so there may be a small announcement to the fans at the game during one of the commercials.

I don't think anything big like a video tribute would happen.

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
I'm looking forward to his return. I've got a lot of fond memories of Randy, both as a Jet 1.0 and his time with the Moose.

I always picture him in the pre-game skate. He always had to be the last skater off the ice. He would do one last circle, give the goalie's pads a whack with his stick then skate off. I remember one game where one of his teammates snuck back onto the ice and gave the goalie a tap after Randy did his ritual. He was not pleased and did another circle and tap himself.

:laugh:

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
I hope they give him a Video Tribute cause he will hate it!!:laugh:

GRUMPY KITTY!
34503396.jpg

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He'll definitely get at least a moment on the scoreboard during a TV timeout, if not for his time with the Jets, then for his time with the Moose. If Hedberg got a warm reception, Carlyle absolutely will.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
The way Chipman spoke about Carlyle in an article today, won't be surprised if there's a Carlyle tribute. Was at the Doan, Teemu nights and will be at tonights game. Nice to experience those moments live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad