Randy Carlyle's "Defensive" System, or "Why we allow 50 shots a game"

• Thread starter Kessley Snipes*
  • Start date

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
I don't understand why, when a Leaf player, defencemen or forward, has the puck low in our zone why more times than not the other players aren't in a position to give them an outlet. More often than not I've actually seen the open player skate right towards the puck carrier. What the hell is he suposed to do with it. Even if a pass is made to the player skating deeper into the defensive zone, his momentum is going the wrong freakin way. By the time they could turn up ice the fore checking players would be on top of them. By not giving the original puck carrier an outlet it gives the forecheckers ample time to pressure the puck carrier forcing them to make a bad play and quite often giving the puck away. I can't believe this is part of any system. Puck support, learn it.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Forget about advanced stats.

When every line and every D pairing can't break out of their zone, every game for an entire season - that's a system problem.

Wilson had a similar problem. The leafs were hemmed in their own zone. This problem is what started "to the line and not out" by Bowen.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Stop blaming every thing on Carlye. Even Gleason said, "It could be mental preparation. It could be physical preparation, or just focus maybe. Who knows?.."

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
It's not the system it's the parts. DP is a 2nd line D, not a first. He has far too many lapses. The rest apart from Gardiner are average at best.

If Nonis can't see that, then it's not a new coach but a new GM you need.

I watch every Leaf game and quite honestly their defence is one of the easiest to put under pressure because they just will not find outlet passes quick enough. They fanny about too much in their own end and that is a sign of lack of quality imo.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Wilson had a similar problem. The leafs were hemmed in their own zone. This problem is what started "to the line and not out" by Bowen.

In defensive zone time was slightly below average during Wilson's tenure. It has been rock bottom under Carlyle. Just significantly worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad