Randy Carlyle's "Defensive" System, or "Why we allow 50 shots a game"

• Thread starter Kessley Snipes*
  • Start date

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
I agree with PPP. Wingers are the least important position defensively. They shouldn't be dropping back so deep when the game is tied or you are losing. Even if you are winning, a lot of fans criticize the wisdom of defending a lead early in the game. If you changed the team's overall tactics, I think the team's Corsi ratings would improve dramatically. Without any change in personnel. If you look at the career Corsi ratings of each of the Leafs players without Carlyle, you can see that the Leafs players are better at possession play than the current stats suggest.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Our shots against is only 36.6 per game? When did all these sub-35 shot games happen to even out all the 40 and 50 shot games?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Our shots against is only 36.6 per game? When did all these sub-35 shot games happen to even out all the 40 and 50 shot games?

most of our 40+ have started in November (right around our slump)
we had 1 in October, and then 1 50 in November and last night.
everything else was around 34ish or so.

so that kinda means out to 36

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
i'll sum up the defensive zone problems right now:

Both wingers (strong-side and weak-side) collapse far too low in an effort to protect the front of the net.

There are two potential outcomes when the puck is down low in our end:

1) the opposition wins the puck battle.
Points are left wide open. Puck goes back to the point and the opposition is able to generate a shot/scoring chance due to increased time and space due to collapsed wingers.

2) we win the puck battle
Now our defensemen or center has no outlet option as, again, our wingers are too low. They end up chipping the puck off the boards which results in an icing or opposition gaining possession of the puck

Rinse. Repeat. Tear hair out of head.

The solution is fairly simple. Wingers should be much higher towards the point. As long as the centers or defense don't miss assignments they don't have to worry about the front of the net so much. This gives us better outlet options and decreased opposition shots from the point.

Revolt

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto
I've said it a few times and this article illustrates it. Just stop having the wingers collapse down so low and it would solve so many issues.

The biggest problem is that we let opposing teams point men control the game since we collapse so far down. Eliminate that and i'm sure half of the crap we see will go down drastically.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006

Both wingers (strong-side and weak-side) collapse far too low in an effort to protect the front of the net.

There are two potential outcomes when the puck is down low in our end:

1) the opposition wins the puck battle.
Points are left wide open. Puck goes back to the point and the opposition is able to generate a shot/scoring chance due to increased time and space due to collapsed wingers.

2) we win the puck battle
Now our defensemen or center has no outlet option as, again, our wingers are too low. They end up chipping the puck off the boards which results in an icing or opposition gaining possession of the puck

Rinse. Repeat. Tear hair out of head.

The solution is fairly simple. Wingers should be much higher towards the point. As long as the centers or defense don't miss assignments they don't have to worry about the front of the net so much. This gives us better outlet options and decreased opposition shots from the point.

I've been waiting for this for years. It is mind boggling how this team is entirely unable to clear the puck, and it's almost always because the wingers are in no man's land (either middle of the ice covering no one or far too low)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Shots don't bother me as much as how badly outplayed we are in 3rd periods. This does bother me.

Scoring chances does not equal shots at times, and can be misleading. Being outplayed, losing puck battles, playing listlissly, no mistaking this.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
I've been waiting for this for years. It is mind boggling how this team is entirely unable to clear the puck, and it's almost always because the wingers are in no man's land (either middle of the ice covering no one or far too low)

Ron Wilson had a similar philosophy. "Protecting home plate" as he called it. Again leaving points far too open.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LOL. Man, some Leaf fans sure can act stupid.

Carlyle, the HORRIBLE Coach, is 41-28-8 since last season, with this club. We're not the best team out there, but that's a PLAYOFF TEAM.

The shots against are all HIS fault apparently, but the good record has NOTHING to do with him, right? It's just a coincidence?

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Shots don't bother me as much as how badly outplayed we are in 3rd periods. This does bother me.

Scoring chances does not equal shots at times, and can be misleading. Being outplayed, losing puck battles, playing listlissly, no mistaking this.

I get your point, but it's actually quite incredible that the Leafs have only outshot the opposition in just 3/29 games this season.

Feb 24, 2004

I agree with that. I also wonder if people notice this happening on the penalty kill frequently as well? I hate to go all Grapes on everyone, but our forwards are far too close to the net.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Wasn't there an analysis of Carlyle's system that showed why we're good and that its not an anomaly as to why they win games? Could have sworn not 2 weeks ago there was one

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
LoL at this thread.

Leafs are 4 -1 -1 since 2005 when allowing 50+ shots per game.

#corsiisbad

allowing on average 30+ shots per game is bad, being badly outshot is bad, being badly outplayed is bad. Bad=losing more than winning #willfullblindnessisbad

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Wasn't there an analysis of Carlyle's system that showed why we're good and that its not an anomaly as to why they win games? Could have sworn not 2 weeks ago there was one

Well, we've been around 4-6 in the conference for over the last two seasons, so it could make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad