Random off-season talk about Datsyuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Thornton is easily on the same level as Datsyuk. The dude put up 1 less assist as Datsyuk's best season point wise and although Datsyuk probably has the more impressive hardware collection Thornton still has a Ross and Hart so it's not like he is chopped liver, and the argument could definitely be made that Thornton is a superior player amd Datsyuk is far amd away my favorite player.

Talking about right now, But ok.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Talking about right now, But ok.

Okay. Thornton is easily on the same level as Datsyuk right now. Datsyuk may have had the better season PPG wise but San Jose was a disaster this year and Thornton is historically pretty much apg player so this season could easily be an anomaly. Plus Thornton has durability on his side. The last time he missed significant time was... Never. He has never had a season significantly barred by injury except for 2001-2002 when he played in 66 games. Plus Thornton is a year younger. I love Datsyuk, but he and Thornton are easily "on the same level".

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I was thinking today, how many more years, if any, can we expect Datsyuk to maintain his elite level of play (when healthy)? He was top ten in PPG this year while being the best possession center in the game. That's clearly elite, but he's 37 now. Is it already over for him (playing at an elite level) or can he keep it going this year? Next year? A few years? Obviously a lot of this depends on his health, which has been a big issue for him.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I was thinking today, how many more years, if any, can we expect Datsyuk to maintain his elite level of play (when healthy)? He was top ten in PPG this year while being the best possession center in the game. That's clearly elite, but he's 37 now. Is it already over for him (playing at an elite level) or can he keep it going this year? Next year? A few years? Obviously a lot of this depends on his health, which has been a big issue for him.

People are probably going to blast me for this but I think that Datsyuk's play takes a dip in production this season due to the fact that he had surgery and wasn't able to do his regular offseason training. I think he'll start off fine but as the season progresses he'll become less and less consistent maybe akin to Zetterberg this past season.

Barring any more injuries I think we'll see a "return to form" in the following season, but he isn't going to be sniffing around any of his career highs.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
People are probably going to blast me for this but I think that Datsyuk's play takes a dip in production this season due to the fact that he had surgery and wasn't able to do his regular offseason training. I think he'll start off fine but as the season progresses he'll become less and less consistent maybe akin to Zetterberg this past season.

Barring any more injuries I think we'll see a "return to form" in the following season, but he isn't going to be sniffing around any of his career highs.

Datsyuk relies less on his physical abilities than Zetterberg does though. Zetterberg's style is very taxing on the body. Datsyuk is more like a Lidstrom at forward. Not saying that Datsyuk's production won't take a hit, but I don't think he'd follow the same progression as Zetterberg.

Actual Thought*

Datsyuk relies less on his physical abilities than Zetterberg does though. Zetterberg's style is very taxing on the body. Datsyuk is more like a Lidstrom at forward. Not saying that Datsyuk's production won't take a hit, but I don't think he'd follow the same progression as Zetterberg.
I agree. Pav's game relies on an economy of movement and smarts. I could see him producing beyond 40 if he chooses to. The surgery could actually be a blessing and repair what has been a lingering issue. If the team is playing well I could see them holding Datsyuk out for extra time while he gets his conditioning up to par. I expect Hank will be better this year with a healthy offseason.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

I do agree with that, and I think in many ways Datsyuk will be "better" this year. And let me explain: Towards the end of last season we now know Datsyuk was dealong with a pretty serious injury. You could tell as he wouldn't chase down loose pucks nearly as quickly or as often--- I think it's one of the reasons he liked Helm on his line. He was noticeably hurt, and he just wasn't quite as explosive. Those dump and chase plays you could kind of see this in, but he was still very productive.

I don't think he's going to mirror Z in any more than the sense that he doesn't have an offseason of conditioning under his belt and if vets are to be trusted it gets harder to maintain that level as you get older. I don't think he's going to struggle as mightily as Z did towards the end of last year, but I think it's fair to expect him to wear down towards the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Because Datsyuk is a possession driven player and he's very cerebral and he's smooth as silk I think he'll remain productive, but I don't think he'll be putting the team on his back either. It's fortunate that Tatar and Nyquist have the opportunity to take on a larger role here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Detroit Red Wings trainer Piet Van Zant went to see Pavel Datsyuk last week "at some place warm" and liked what he saw, general manager Ken Holland said.

Not much, but I'll take it.

People are probably going to blast me for this but I think that Datsyuk's play takes a dip in production this season due to the fact that he had surgery and wasn't able to do his regular offseason training.

Might not be his "regular training" but at least the article from Khan says this:

"He's had no setbacks. He's doing lots of training. He's excited. He wants to feel 100 percent. He's happy about the surgery, what he's able to do at this point."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/08/detroit_red_wings_pavel_datsyu_12.html

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
That's some positive news. I wonder if there's any chance he starts the season.

I doubt it, from all reports just after Pavs surgery he was never expected to suit up in the month of October and at least a good chunk of November. I don't see anything in the article that states hes suddenly 6-8 weeks ahead of schedule.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's some positive news. I wonder if there's any chance he starts the season.

It looks like... it's totally possible. That surgery was at 26th June and now they are talking about a 3-month rehab. That's July+August+September, And season will start in October, there's 3 and a half months between.

Pavel was talking by himself of the worst case-scenario, 4-5 months rehab (late october or november return), but it doesn't look like that now.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Datsyuk, who notched 26 goals and 65 points in 63 regular-season games, was bothered by the ankle injury late last season and missed eight of the Red Wings final 14 games. And although it might be an unpopular opinion in today’s play-through-the-pain culture, Dr. Goldbaum speculates that Datsyuk’s attempt to tough it out likely only served to exacerbate the issue.
But he was so selfish! He played through injury for Russia!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It looks like... it's totally possible. That surgery was at 26th June and now they are talking about a 3-month rehab. That's July+August+September, And season will start in October, there's 3 and a half months between.

Pavel was talking by himself of the worst case-scenario, 4-5 months rehab (late october or november return), but it doesn't look like that now.
The way it sounds is that he may be cleared to start going on ice in September. That would likely put him at least 1 month behind the curve in terms of being ready to actually play considering you should be on the ice right now probably in order to be ready for the start of the season.

MooMiN

Mar 5, 2011
Göteborg
So if it is on schedule does that mean late october or late november?

That mlive article states 4-5 months, just thinking which it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad