OT: Random D&D talk

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Certainly not d&d but the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings themed The Green Dragon Pub suddenly closed today in Murfreesboro. Supposedly permanent. The place was always packed every time I visited so no idea what the heck happened. Huge blow as there really aren’t any cool unique spots here now.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Certainly not d&d but the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings themed The Green Dragon Pub suddenly closed today in Murfreesboro. Supposedly permanent. The place was always packed every time I visited so no idea what the heck happened. Huge blow as there really aren’t any cool unique spots here now.
there are still some decent spots in murfreesboro.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
there are still some decent spots in murfreesboro.

I've never found anything either in the Boro or in Nashville as geeky as this place. Oh well. Some additional info came out in the DNJ that, while it was always packed on the weekdays, they died due to the work week lull.

Reactions: hockey diva

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I, too, had made several visits to the Green Dragon. It was a fun little place and the atmosphere was lovely. I almost started crying when I saw the news on FB.

Speaking of Tolkien, I help organize the local Tolkien group. Please message me if any of you would like more info.

Hoping to get a gaming session scheduled in the next 2 weeks.

And finally, the Radio Rivendell music stream is great for gaming.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I've never found anything either in the Boro or in Nashville as geeky as this place. Oh well. Some additional info came out in the DNJ that, while it was always packed on the weekdays, they died due to the work week lull.
all places will struggle during the week. people just don't want to spend $40-50 for food and a drink or 2 on a tuesday per couple.

maybe not as geeky but there are some decent spots on the square. mayday brewery is a cool vibe sometimes. food trucks out back. i like the goat over by the avenue too.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
all places will struggle during the week. people just don't want to spend $40-50 for food and a drink or 2 on a tuesday per couple.

maybe not as geeky but there are some decent spots on the square. mayday brewery is a cool vibe sometimes. food trucks out back. i like the goat over by the avenue too.

I do all of the places. The Goat is run down (the TVs really need to be refreshed, at least as of March Madness 2019 timing) and Mayday is cool but just another brewery. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both and do go to both (plus Hop Springs), but none of them make you geek out like the Green Dragon!

And in reference to Toot's, yep love Toot's (they just opened one on the Blackman side of town!). But there are lots of places in the world like Toot's and I have never been to anything like the Green Dragon.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I do all of the places. The Goat is run down (the TVs really need to be refreshed, at least as of March Madness 2019 timing) and Mayday is cool but just another brewery. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both and do go to both (plus Hop Springs), but none of them make you geek out like the Green Dragon!

And in reference to Toot's, yep love Toot's (they just opened one on the Blackman side of town!). But there are lots of places in the world like Toot's and I have never been to anything like the Green Dragon.
No one has Chicken fingers like Toots, and they have the best fried dill pickles. Toots existed before most of those others did, and it's a Murfreesboro original.

Green Dragon was ok, but I never just wanted to go.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

absolutely. the goat would be the spot for preds game if they would update the TVs. they have potential.

i agree about mayday being blah in the sense. still cool for the "boro".

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

toots is also blah but one of the best bang for the buck spots in town. just not for sports viewing.

how is the new one by toots?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
First, sorry for derailing the D&D thread with my loosely related Green Dragon / LOTR connection there.

Second, the new Toot's on 96 is awesome. Decor is pretty refined relative to other Toot's location and I prefer that for the area.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ok, so thanks to this thread I just ordered 5e and we'll see if I can get the kids to put at least part of their summer into trying this with me as DM. It might be a bust. No idea. It might be unfair to even think they could get into it. But worth a try and the starter kit was only like $15. :crossfing
This btw did not pan out. The intrepid cleric Porter Stoutheart - who has taken a vow of silence and exists only to provide healing to a party that otherwise had no plans of deploying a cleric in their party - doubled as DM and The BamaClan made a brief weekly foray into realms of legend. But alas, it is really a game for buddies to play... as a family Game Night activity it was a bust with too much infighting in the party ranks.
:confused:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’m sorry your campaign didn’t take bama. Maybe try another time?
I think it's just a format that is kinda blocked by sibling rivalries and family stuff. I thought 2 of my 3 kids were kind of "into it" in general, as a concept anyway. But they can't really play together as a team. In a group of their own buds they might be totally fine and run with it. As a family-game-night experience... ok, not exactly a shocker it didn't pan out. That would have fit entirely with my own experiences as a teen... there is no chance I could ever have played it with my family. Finding my own group of outcasts at school to play is really where it fit best. I could see them playing it outside the family group, and my oldest actually went off and started binge-watching Critical Role once the campaigns fell through. So there's hope. Just not in this setting. Fair enough and worth a try! :)

Reactions: hockey diva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad