OT: Random D&D talk

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Just started rewatching Stranger Things and get such a kick out of the first episode where the kids are playing in the basement. Good flashbacks to my childhood though admittedly most of my play ended up being on the SSI PC games in the late 80s/early 90s (pool of radiance, Krynn games, etc) due to not having many people around to play live with. Commodore 64!

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am in an all female player group. The DM is male and the husband of one of the players. We've been going for about 2 years, usually meeting once a month. We've reached 7th level. I need to watch Stranger Things for sure. I have also heard good things about Critical Role.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Been contemplating getting into D&D ever since I started playing the game Dark Souls. I live in Memphis right now, and I have a bunch of friends here who are open to playing.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Been contemplating getting into D&D ever since I started playing the game Dark Souls. I live in Memphis right now, and I have a bunch of friends here who are open to playing.

Seriously you need to do it.

I really recommend anyone even remotely interested in the fantasy genre check out critical role. You don't have to be a DND need to appreciate it.

It's honestly the best story telling I've ever seen from a TV show (with maybe Haunting of Hill House being the exception).

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Never that enamoured with the D&D system (or any d20 system)/universe itself, but do really enjoy Critical Role when I can catch it. Would love it if they did one of the more elegant RP systems (I always loved stuff like 7th Sea and Legend of the Five Rings, or even the White Wolf systems-I do know there's a regular Vampire show).

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I had no idea D&D was still a thing people did, tbh... but I'm happy it is, brings back a lot of memories. I wish I could get my kids out of the basement and... well, back into the basement - but to play stuff like D&D instead of stupid little phone-app-looking-games or watching YouTube videos or whatever it is they do all day.
:wally:

Shout out to Zork on the TRS-80 and The Bard's Tale and making all those maps on graph paper while taking one step at a time crawling through those dungeons! Soooo much better than whatever kids these days waste their time on!
:propeller

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Love me some D&D. I practically grew up playing at Blackthorn Gamecenter in Dickson (or some CCG or another; loved Spellfire).

With the wife, kids, kids' activities, church activities, and work- well, there just isn't the room any more. lol

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I feel so old. I grew up saving my quarters so I could play Asteroids, Missile Command, Galaga, and Tempest at the arcade in the mall.

One really rich kid had a Commodore 64 at the fraternity house and I played those Zork type games on it. I was frequently eaten by a grue.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I had no idea D&D was still a thing people did, tbh... but I'm happy it is, brings back a lot of memories. I wish I could get my kids out of the basement and... well, back into the basement - but to play stuff like D&D instead of stupid little phone-app-looking-games or watching YouTube videos or whatever it is they do all day.
:wally:

Shout out to Zork on the TRS-80 and The Bard's Tale and making all those maps on graph paper while taking one step at a time crawling through those dungeons! Soooo much better than whatever kids these days waste their time on!
:propeller
The Bard's Tale trilogy recently got a remake with redrawn portraits and an automap and other additions (and it's on sale at GOG at the moment ;) ), and I am not ashamed to admit I recently started playing the hell out of it. (Keeping track of graph paper was never my thing. But I otherwise love those dungeon crawls. :D )
And if you insist on graph paper, you can switch to "legacy mode"...

And D&D and other tabletop roleplaying has been a mainstay of my social life for decades. Heck, it bears partial responsibility for my being a hockey fan - I got hooked by hearing George Matthews call Jackets games on the radio while driving home from playing GURPS with friends in Washington Court House. ;) Currently only have one going on, tho; a D&D 3.5 setup with several folks that I've been playing with for years, and who are nearly all co-workers here at AWRINCH.

* * *​
I play Pathfinder and am looking at 5e D&D
And a semi-annual Numenera game, which we started after finishing that D20 Modern campaign...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The Bard's Tale trilogy recently got a remake with redrawn portraits and an automap and other additions (and it's on sale at GOG at the moment ;) ), and I am not ashamed to admit I recently started playing the hell out of it. (Keeping track of graph paper was never my thing. But I otherwise love those dungeon crawls. :D )
And if you insist on graph paper, you can switch to "legacy mode"...

And D&D and other tabletop roleplaying has been a mainstay of my social life for decades. Heck, it bears partial responsibility for my being a hockey fan - I got hooked by hearing George Matthews call Jackets games on the radio while driving home from playing GURPS with friends in Washington Court House. ;) Currently only have one going on, tho; a D&D 3.5 setup with several folks that I've been playing with for years, and who are nearly all co-workers here at AWRINCH.

* * *​

And a semi-annual Numenera game, which we started after finishing that D20 Modern campaign...
I wouldn't say I liked doing the graph paper thing... just it was the only way to really know what I was doing in the game. Mapping the dungeons and towns on the first pass just made everything flow much easier after that. And I don't know how one would solve some of the puzzles or get around the teleports etc without doing it. :confused:

The maze of twisty little passages in Zork was one thing. But the big multi-level dungeons in BT was something else.

I am now trying to figure out from Google if the Bard's Tale IV for consoles is actually a thing or not... I can't seem to find anywhere to actually buy it...

Oh this whole subject is just dangerous. It might just end up merging with the "what are you going to waste your whole summer doing now that there's no hockey" thread for me. :eek:

Reactions: Viqsi

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
I play the Starfinder version with a handful of my friends, and we have a damn good time

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
So what character classes should we use for said one shot avys? :thumbu:

I am currently playing a paladin. Go figure lol.

Of note, I do not play online or console games. Not my cup of tea.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I currently DM for a group. When I played, I was a Ranger that was basically inspired from the Penny Dreadful show's Ethan Chandler.

Now, I just spend all my free time weaving my players' backstories in and create town maps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad