[Randall] How the Golden Knights went from risky ploy to model franchise.

Nov 24, 2006
I think the expansion draft rules were great. I would much rather see a competitive expansion team than one that is the league's doormat. This one may win the Stanley Cup.

It's not Vegas' fault that some of these other GM's (hello Columbus and Florida) didn't recognize what they had on their roster either.

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Nope. Opposite. It has been an amazing story this year. And if they magically win the cup, it will be easily one of the best moments in NHL history. If that happens, well then you will realllly hate Vegas. :P

If Vegas wins the cup we should all really be happy we were alive to witness it. I doubt we will ever see what Vegas did this year repeated in the future (near or far).

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You shouldn't follow it any more. You shouldn't even watch hockey any more. It's ruined.

Well the NHL has been ruined for a while now, which is why I am more of a CHL fan. This Vegas farce is just more dirt on the pile.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Well the NHL has been ruined for a while now, which is why I am more of a CHL fan. This Vegas farce is just more dirt on the pile.

Sorry it is ruined for you.

I am enjoying the heck out of it! Maybe the NHL lost a few (seemingly already disgruntled) fans, but they gained quite a bit more in Vegas.

Reactions: the

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Vegas hasn't even made SCF yet. I'd wait a bit before proclaiming they're here to stay. Could just be a fluke year.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
To me, LVGK is one of the best stories of the past decade. A gang of REJECTS, superbly coached, are playing exciting hockey and winning! Kudos to them. I hope they lose to Ovechkin in the Finals.

That said, I hate both their name and their uniform. And Las Vegas is at the very bottom of my places to visit list.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's funny that the old sabres guy believes St. Louis made the finals honestly in 1968 by being the best team in the contrived West Division, but Vegas didn't earn anything by winning a division of established NHL teams populated by super stars and award winners, despite building a team with cast-offs and cap dumps.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm meh on the whole thing. It's a nice story but it will make the league look bad if an expansion team wins the Cup in year 1.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If LV wins it all. I propose every 3 years they reshuffle the teams. Fantasy draft every 3 years! Spice it up

Actually...that's an intriguing idea.

Every three years everyone goes UFA. Draft positions are 100% randomized. New teams every three years.

I don't think it works in the NHL, but for some foreign league or minor league, why not? Entertaining at least.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Five years.

Vegas having a Stanley Cup caliber roster makes a farce of the league and really makes me question what is the point in even following it.

I think its more that Vegas was able to exploit the ineptitude of the people running many of the NHL franchises(Florida in particular) that allowed Vegas to ice a team that is this good. Arguably any other team could have hired Gallant and easily acquired Karlsson or Marchessault if they wanted

Reactions: ChanceVegas

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
[MOD] In my eyes it is more a hate for Bettman and the league as a whole. Bitter on my part? I don’t think so. I think the VGN have taken a bit of my love away from the NHL after being a fan for over 40 years. I don’t care how it came. Success, in my eyes, should be a process.

I guess that’s just in my DNA so if that’s petty, fine.
This has absolutely zero logic, sense, or reasoning behind it.

Reactions: shinchanyo

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I wonder how the tone towards Vegas will be if Seattle is a basement team in their first year.

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Five years.

Vegas having a Stanley Cup caliber roster makes a farce of the league and really makes me question what is the point in even following it.

Are you sure Vegas has a Stanley Cup caliber roster? Did that happen when the picked up Reeves and Tatar, because at the beginning of the season, the ALL the pundits thought they had a 31st place caliber team in Vegas.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Why are people so upset over losing the 9th/10th-worst players from their teams? If you had made better decisions with your protected lists, Vegas wouldn't be this good.
This is not necessarily the case. The expansion rules were way too favorable especially when you consider expansion drafts of the past. Teams were forced to protect players with "NMC" and "NTC"
Many of those players were ones teams didn't want to protect.
Because of things like that teams had to negotiate trades so that Vegas wouldn't take certain players. Columbus may have made a bad choice or a tough choice for instance but other moves by teams weren't so obvious.
Some teams gave up first rd picks. That sucks for fans. I rather have given up my ninth or tenth best player instead but couldn't. At least the NHL could do is give compensation by way of draft picks to help teams that lost significant talent. I'm not sure what Florida was doing though. J marsh was productive with them.
I really don't think Bettman planned out the draft and the consequences. I doubt he figured Vegas would be a final four team.
I don't want Vegas to win but I don't begrudge their success. McPhee deserves a ton of credit for pushing all the right buttons. Bettman enabled Vegas to compete right away but management knocked it out of the park.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
This is not necessarily the case. The expansion rules were way too favorable especially when you consider expansion drafts of the past. Teams were forced to protect players with "NMC" and "NTC"
Many of those players were ones teams didn't want to protect.
Because of things like that teams had to negotiate trades so that Vegas wouldn't take certain players. Columbus may have made a bad choice or a tough choice for instance but other moves by teams weren't so obvious.
Some teams gave up first rd picks. That sucks for fans. I rather have given up my ninth or tenth best player instead but couldn't. At least the NHL could do is give compensation by way of draft picks to help teams that lost significant talent. I'm not sure what Florida was doing though. J marsh was productive with them.
I really don't think Bettman planned out the draft and the consequences. I doubt he figured Vegas would be a final four team.
I don't want Vegas to win but I don't begrudge their success. McPhee deserves a ton of credit for pushing all the right buttons. Bettman enabled Vegas to compete right away but management knocked it out of the park.

I have zero sympathy for teams that painted themselves into corners with NMCs and NTCs. The league cannot be expected to be complicit in allowing those teams to void the conditions of those contracts for the sake of the expansion draft.

Vegas are the benefactors of bad decisions: bad decisions made around giving out NMCs/NTCs, bad decisions around acquiring players with NMCs/NTCs, bad decisions made at UFA time prompting teams to literally pay (with picks) for their mistakes, and bad decisions around protecting certain players based on archaic ways of building teams. Vegas' success is a referendum on the quality of team building in today's NHL, and also an indication of just how many inefficiencies go undiscovered. I love it.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Love the Golden Knights. Well deserved run for this franchise that a lot of people counted out

Hope they win the Stanley Cup, Go Knights Go!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad