Confirmed with Link: Rampage out, Pirates in at the end of season

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
For all those QC worriers this might have put a twig on the paranoid fire no?

Portland is a lot closer for them than San Antonio.

No, I don't think so. Would be too obvious. Cifu reaffirmed (for the millionth time) the ownerships commitment to South Florida just last Saturday vs. the Isles at the PanthersPalooza event. Unless something really drastic happened within the last week, I don't see this being a sign of a relocation at all.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
No, I don't think so. Would be too obvious. Cifu reaffirmed (for the millionth time) the ownerships commitment to South Florida just last Saturday vs. the Isles at the PanthersPalooza event. Unless something really drastic happened within the last week, I don't see this being a sign of a relocation at all.

I don't either. They (FLA) want lowered travel expenses and more practice time. Bottom line.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
yeah we switched from rochester to SA not too long ago didn't we? was it because we was getting moved to las vegas perhaps? :sarcasm:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I'm in Maine. Welcome to Portland! Any big prospects to look forward to next year?

You have big shoes to fill in our prospect updates. ;)

In all seriousness, any updates would be greatly appreciated. You'll most likely be getting our two highly touted NCAA blue liners Mike Matheson and Ian McCoshen, both currently at Boston College. You may be seeing some of the electric 5 foot 6 Rocco Grimaldi, currently the AHL leader in OT goals because of his speed and skill. You'll be getting the first extended professional look at Kyle Rau, another solid NCAA player, this time for Minnesota, who we hope will end up as a good 3rd liner in the NHL. Other than that we'll have to see who will be in the NHL and how the offseason goes.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates to join forces with the Florida Panthers
By Chris Roy | March 17, 2015

PORTLAND – It’s out with the dogs and in with the cats.

According to multiple media reports out of Florida, the Portland Pirates will be American Hockey League affiliate of the Florida Panthers, starting next season.

An announcement is expected Wednesday.

READ MORE>>>>

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Isn't McCoshen only in his second year though?

I just noticed Jayce Hawryluk turns 20 on Jan. 1st. He won't be able to play in the AHL next season because his birthday is ONE day too late.

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Hey All.... My name is Chris Roy and I'm one of two beat writers that covers the Pirates on a regular basis. You'll be able to read most of my stuff at Maine Hockey Journal or the Bangor Daily News. This is my 10th season following the team and this will be my fifth affiliation since my first job with the Journal Tribune. You can also follow me on twitter at @chris_mhj.... I like to use message boards to interact with readers so if you have any questions fire away!

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Isn't McCoshen only in his second year though?

Still a chance he comes out, no? I'm not sure how likely it is honestly.

Hey All.... My name is Chris Roy and I'm one of two beat writers that covers the Pirates on a regular basis. You'll be able to read most of my stuff at Maine Hockey Journal or the Bangor Daily News. This is my 10th season following the team and this will be my fifth affiliation since my first job with the Journal Tribune. You can also follow me on twitter at @chris_mhj.... I like to use message boards to interact with readers so if you have any questions fire away!

That's great. Thank you in advance for all of the coverage.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Hey, thanks for stopping by. Looking forward to having you around here

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
You have big shoes to fill in our prospect updates. ;)

In all seriousness, any updates would be greatly appreciated. You'll most likely be getting our two highly touted NCAA blue liners Mike Matheson and Ian McCoshen, both currently at Boston College. You may be seeing some of the electric 5 foot 6 Rocco Grimaldi, currently the AHL leader in OT goals because of his speed and skill. You'll be getting the first extended professional look at Kyle Rau, another solid NCAA player, this time for Minnesota, who we hope will end up as a good 3rd liner in the NHL. Other than that we'll have to see who will be in the NHL and how the offseason goes.

I'd add Hawryluk and Hyman to the list.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I'd add Hawryluk and Hyman to the list.

Forgot all about Hawryluk. For our new guys he was last year's 32nd overall pick who is solid offensively and a guy who likes to go the dirty areas. Hyman is a questionmark. Great senior season this year at the University of Michigan but it remains to be seen how his game will translate. You guys will have to let us know there.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

No lol, San Antonio is far away is the problem, I don't know who said it, but the Rampage spend 90 days in a hotel compared to the Pirates 18.

Welcome

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida

tumblr_mugux2rumf1rdh9azo1_400.gif

I'm kidding... but no really. :p:

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
No lol, San Antonio is far away is the problem, I don't know who said it, but the Rampage spend 90 days in a hotel compared to the Pirates 18.

Welcome

The distance from San Antonio is irrelevant, especially because San Antonio is closer to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale than Miami is. Also more direct flights from San Antonio.

Again, it's all about travel expenses for the AHL team and practice time. Nothing more, nothing less.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The distance from San Antonio is irrelevant, especially because San Antonio is closer to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale than Miami is. Also more direct flights from San Antonio.

Again, it's all about travel expenses for the AHL team and practice time. Nothing more, nothing less.

I should have clarified, I meant far away from other AHL teams.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
This is probably a dumb question, but do our prospects from SA just switch over to Portland next year ?

Do they have to be signed to contracts with FL ? What if there are players that are signed with SA ?

How does coaching/management work ?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
This is probably a dumb question, but do our prospects from SA just switch over to Portland next year ?

Do they have to be signed to contracts with FL ? What if there are players that are signed with SA ?

How does coaching/management work ?

Everyone just moves over. Our players and SA players will move over. I'd imagine coaching moves as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad