Confirmed with Link: Rampage out, Pirates in at the end of season

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Interesting.

Portland...could they of found a farther team for the affiliate?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I thought the Panthers don't own their affiliate so they can't move just like that? I'll wait till I see an actual source report this. Not Harv.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
I thought the Panthers don't own their affiliate so they can't move just like that? I'll wait till I see an actual source report this. Not Harv.

I think that means that they can't move the location of their affiliate. Not that we can't change affiliates.

They aren't moving the Rampage to Portland, just ending the affiliation with the Rampage and starting one with Portland. Although I don't like the idea of this happening, I guess it would make logistical sense for the org.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think that means that they can't move the location of their affiliate. Not that we can't change affiliates.

They aren't moving the Rampage to Portland, just ending the affiliation with the Rampage and starring one with Portland

Apparently this is old news and was reported yesterday. Nate knows the AHL way better than me, but this was his post:

Neither Tampa or Florida own their AHL teams which is what would need to happen before they could move them anywhere. As we saw with Anaheim strong arming Norfolk, anything can happen, but it would take an awful lot for this to happen any time soon.

I think this is a non-story.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Apparently this is old news and was reported yesterday. Nate knows the AHL way better than me, but this was his post:

I think this is a non-story.
Like Panthersfan94 said, they are simply going to end the affiliation with San Antonio (who will still own a franchise) and begin a new affiliation with the Pirates. In this case, Florida isn't moving anything so they wouldn't need to own an AHL team.

This is also coming from more than just Harvey. I've seen it reported in about 5 different places. We are pretty much already bracing for Colorado or Arizona to move in once Florida leaves.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Like Panthersfan94 said, they are simply going to end the affiliation with San Antonio (who will still own a franchise) and begin a new affiliation with the Pirates. In this case, Florida isn't moving anything so they wouldn't need to own an AHL team.

This is also coming from more than just Harvey. I've seen it reported in about 5 different places. We are pretty much already bracing for Colorado or Arizona to move in once Florida leaves.

:( That sucks.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Apparently there is something to these rumors and Dale might want an affiliate in the same time zone. It looks like it might save the org some money too because of the reduced travel costs of the Pirates compared to the Rampage.

The Panthers, who are the only Eastern Time Zone team with an affiliate in another time zone, are in the final year of a four-year affiliation agreement with the San Antonio Rampage. Panthers GM Dale Talon has signaled that if the opportunity arose they would like to move their affiliation to a location in the Eastern Time Zone. There has been speculation circulating around the AHL that the Panthers and Coyotes would simply swap AHL affiliates, but sources within the Coyotes organization say that while San Antonio is an option, it’s not the only option and not a forgone conclusion that Arizona returns to the Rampage.

The Coyotes moved their affiliation to Portland in 2011, leaving San Antonio, Texas after six seasons. The Coyotes cited lower travel cost and better development for their prospects as a primary reason for the move.

Former Coyotes’ Assistant GM Brad Treliving, now General Manager of the Calgary Flames, said that San Antonio spent over 90 nights in hotels over the course the season. That is compared to Portland, who averages 18 nights in a hotel over the same period.

Found a great article on it here:

http://bangordailynews.com/link/pirates-to-have-new-nhl-affiliate/?ref=moreInstate

Pirates-logo-on-black.gif

http://portlandpirates.com/

For those that forgot, the Pirates are the AHL team that Dineen coached for 5 seasons before coaching the Panthers.

Last edited:

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
this is awful.

Nate has been a great fan and source. Dan as well. fans have bonded.

Only one thing left to o for the Rampage...win! (hat tip to major league)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
this is awful.

Nate has been a great fan and source. Dan as well. fans have bonded.

Only one thing left to o for the Rampage...win! (hat tip to major league)

I too thought of them immediately as well. ****.

Hope they stay with us as Cats fans.

Anyone here in Maine?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Nate and Dan are the best. San Antonio was a treat to watch over the last few. I don't like this change from a fan's perspective.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
I've never understood why farm teams get passed around like they do. Can't be good for business.

Are they looking to acquire a franchise maybe and Portland is a better bet? That would be a silver lining.

Not even the right damn Portland! I can't go to Maine but Portland is driving distance.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I've never understood why farm teams get passed around like they do. Can't be good for business.

Are they looking to acquire a franchise maybe and Portland is a better bet? That would be a silver lining.

Not even the right damn Portland! I can't go to Maine but Portland is driving distance.

Well in this case it's logistics, and in regards to business, most AHL players only last a year or 2 on one team, so it's not like fans aren't used to a relatively different looking team every year.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Looks to be confirmed. This will help with call ups not switching time-zones. It's difficult to leave an affiliate like that, but its all about business as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad