Confirmed with Link: Rampage out, Pirates in at the end of season

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
This is probably a dumb question, but do our prospects from SA just switch over to Portland next year ?

Do they have to be signed to contracts with FL ? What if there are players that are signed with SA ?

How does coaching/management work ?

Everyone on NHL deals will move to Portland. AHL deals are typically year-to-year so those players will just become free agents at year's end. Most coaching staffs, including the Rampage's, are employees of the NHL parent team so they will also move to Portland.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
welcome Florida fans.....

there's been a change within the Pirates hierachy in regards to organizational or front office duties per se, which the Panthers are going to fill... the current coach, which some of you remember from the Arizona stint in San Antonio, has or was given a dual role after the hiring by Calgary of Brad Treliving... Ray Edwards remained w/ Arizona for those of you remember him w/ the Rampage.

so Florida likely will have to hire a 'GM' for Portland. sorry to see Mike Joyce join the exodus from SSE, as he was also confirmed as G/Director of Hockey OPS, and it's a 4 year deal, which ties into the next lease cycle for our CEO Ron Cain.

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Florida Panthers to be Pirates new NHL affiliate
By Chris Roy | March 18, 2015

PORTLAND – When the Portland Pirates hit the ice next season it will be with the franchise’s fourth National Hockey League affiliate in 11 seasons.

The Pirates announced Wednesday they would be affiliated with the Florida Panthers for the next four seasons, beginning in 2015-2016.

While the affiliation agreement coincides with the lease agreement with the Cross Insurance Arena which expires following the 2018-’19 season, Pirates Chief Operating Officer Brad Church believes the four-year agreement is a prelude to a longer partnership between the two organizations.

READ MORE>>>>>

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
welcome Florida fans.....

there's been a change within the Pirates hierachy in regards to organizational or front office duties per se, which the Panthers are going to fill... the current coach, which some of you remember from the Arizona stint in San Antonio, has or was given a dual role after the hiring by Calgary of Brad Treliving... Ray Edwards remained w/ Arizona for those of you remember him w/ the Rampage.

so Florida likely will have to hire a 'GM' for Portland. sorry to see Mike Joyce join the exodus from SSE, as he was also confirmed as G/Director of Hockey OPS, and it's a 4 year deal, which ties into the next lease cycle for our CEO Ron Cain.

Eric Joyce is the current GM of the Rampage and will continue the same duties in Portland.

okay. So when do we make the play offs?

Rampage? This season!

Last edited by a moderator:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Portland's a hell of a lot closer to me than San Antonio, but still...I thought the affiliation with San Antonio has been working out well. I don't think a change was really necessary, but that's a surface outsider's look. Maybe there's a reason for it. :dunno:

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Portland's a hell of a lot closer to me than San Antonio, but still...I thought the affiliation with San Antonio has been working out well. I don't think a change was really necessary, but that's a surface outsider's look. Maybe there's a reason for it. :dunno:

Lower travel costs seem to be the main driver. I thought I saw someone say that San Antonio spends 80 nights in hotels compared to just 17 for Portland.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

Didn't read the thread eh? ;)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
SSE (Rampage) released short statement regarding Florida/Portland announcement...

in short, "We enjoyed our time as the Panthers affiliate, are committed to hockey in San Antonio, and will announce a new era of our next endeavor at a future date/time"....

sources are indeed reporting it will be Colorado being their next affiliate.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Nate, I also just wanted to say a quick thank you for all the insight you provided for us, best of luck in the future and lets hope for a long playoff run this year!

I echo this sentiment. Always enjoyed your updates and found you to be a quality poster. The Portland posters certainly have big shoes to fill.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I can't be a PortlandNate, but I can be a Wildcat....

And this guy is legit. I am leaving you all (at the end of the season) in good hands with wildcat.

Us Rampage fans are disappointed to see another team leave SA, but it's just the nature of the AHL these days. So, to quote my favorite sports comedy of all time, we turn to Jake Taylor from Major League.

"Well...I guess there's only one thing to do then"

"Yeah, what's that?"

"Win...the...whole...****ing...thing"

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
And this guy is legit. I am leaving you all (at the end of the season) in good hands with wildcat.

Us Rampage fans are disappointed to see another team leave SA, but it's just the nature of the AHL these days. So, to quote my favorite sports comedy of all time, we turn to Jake Taylor from Major League.

"Yeah, what's that?"

Excellent quote Nate and thank you, Kate, Jessica, KaylaJ and anyone else for keeping us well informed, hope the Rampage continue to do well after the Panthers leave.

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007

"Yeah, what's that?"

I'm nominating Nate for poster of the year lol. This guy is a f***ing legend around here.

And welcome aboard Wildcat!

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Enjoyed every insight Nate and the other Rampage posters gave us. We're all going to miss you!

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
What does Portland's division look like next season? Seems like with all the moves there's only two teams left in the AHL Atlantic.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Just remember, whenever you feel alone like there's no one you can rely on this is all you need to know: You are fans of the Florida Panthers.

Sorry, that's what happens when most of your posts are on the Simpsons board. Anyway, I'm not ready to say goodbye yet, but just in case this falls off I wanted to say thanks to you guys. I'm a Penguins fan and remember 1996, but these last few years have helped me get over that. If you have to leave us, at least you'll be in good hands with wildcat and don't mind if we visit every now and the to see how some of the kids are doing. Also, if you're ever in SA let us know, if we still have $1 drink night maybe someone will buy you one ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad