Confirmed with Link: Raman Hrabarenka signed to PTO

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
miso-ramen-recipe-feature-20912.jpg

First thought. Not spelled quite the same but meh. Now I'm hungry.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Just by looking at the numbers, he's a late-blooming RHD that is coming off a down year (that much anyone can figure out). I'm actually a bit surprised in that he fits that mold of over-aged, under-appreciated ilk of players the Leafs are trying to take advantage of. Alls I know is that he has a real good shot and his AHL numbers aren't too shabby...
If anyone can get more enhanced penalty count trackers, it would do wonders in explaining whether the off year was due to getting into more of the rough stuff (fighting, roughing, cross-checking penalties) or whether he couldn't keep up (tripping, holding, hooking penalties). Could be an interesting depth option, especially since Lou liked him enough to bring him over here. one of the few RHDs on the Marlies and unlike many of our prospects, he's physically "filled out".

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Just by looking at the numbers, he's a late-blooming RHD that is coming off a down year (that much anyone can figure out). I'm actually a bit surprised in that he fits that mold of over-aged, under-appreciated ilk of players the Leafs are trying to take advantage of. Alls I know is that he has a real good shot and his AHL numbers aren't too shabby...

Think this might be one of Lou's gut calls opposed to the advanced stats late bloomer approach, not that its a bad thing.
If this guy comes to camp and is defensively responsible, physical, provides a bit of net presence then great, id give him a shot.

Not every prospect will be a top 6/top 4 player, if we can develop a young reliable bottom pairing guy who can play a shut-down role without giving up any assets then why wouldn't we?

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Not every prospect will be a top 6/top 4 player, if we can develop a young reliable bottom pairing guy who can play a shut-down role without giving up any assets then why wouldn't we?

Well said. He'll probably get an ahl deal, then if they like him with the Marlies they'll sign him like they just did with Holl.

randym1

Dec 29, 2013
question

On this AHL site the leafs have signed 15 ahl contracts for the marlies more than any other team by a long shot. Also 2 PTO's Now with the leafs stacked with prospects and not wanting to put them with the leafs until there ready, and can only take so many with the big club anyway why all the farm team signings.
If even half play in the ahl that does not leave many spots for development.(rychel,lindberg,leipsic,johnson,froese,gauthier,sosknikov, brown ,lievo ,kapanen ,valiev,loov,campbell,nielson,holl. that's with marner Matthews, nylander hyman,zaitsev and carrick corrado making the leafs. I'm sure theres a few more that are ineligible for junior as well.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He had a concussion last season. And then seemed to lose his spot on NJD depth and what seemed like reoccurring injury issues. Seemed pretty decent like he could be an nhler until injuries hit.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
On this AHL site the leafs have signed 15 ahl contracts for the marlies more than any other team by a long shot. Also 2 PTO's Now with the leafs stacked with prospects and not wanting to put them with the leafs until there ready, and can only take so many with the big club anyway why all the farm team signings.
If even half play in the ahl that does not leave many spots for development.(rychel,lindberg,leipsic,johnson,froese,gauthier,sosknikov, brown ,lievo ,kapanen ,valiev,loov,campbell,nielson,holl. that's with marner Matthews, nylander hyman,zaitsev and carrick corrado making the leafs. I'm sure theres a few more that are ineligible for junior as well.

Only the veteran players on AHL contracts will stick at the start of the season.

The rest will be Solar Bears and will be playing for opportunity with the Marlies.

I believe they do it because the players make more under an AHL contract than an ECHL deal, which gives them an advantage in getting the best players. The Leafs are rich, so the pay difference is peanuts to them.

https://artfulpuck.wordpress.com/2014/10/10/how-much-do-minor-league-hockey-players-make/

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He projects as a RHD version of Martin Marincin?

I just look at him like Petter Granberg or Korbinian Holzer. Typical stay-at-home RH defenseman with a little bit of offensive skill and extra size to boot.

Consistency seems to be his issue, like the other two, but he may have the most upside of any of them, especially offensively.

For those who are upset with the Leafs losing Granberg last year may be happy to have this guy around on an AHL deal, which I definitely see happening.

Fun Fact: Hrabarenka is only 3 days older than Granberg, which means it's his Birthday as of 8 minutes ago. So Happy 24th Birthday Raman!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Why do people dislike Corrado? He played fairly well as a bottom pairing defender.

I don't get people sometimes...

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Can we agree on Spicy Noodles as a nickname if he sticks around?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
A Lou project maybe?

SCOUTING REPORT

Assets: Has excellent size for the blueline position in the National Hockey League, plus he displays all-around ability. Owns a good point shot, so he can be an asset on the power play (in the minors).

Flaws: Is still somewhat raw in all facets of the game of hockey, so he needs to become more game-to-game consistent. Also needs to avoid taking bad penalties that hurt his hockey club.

Career Potential: Raw, intriguing defenseman with a little upside.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?8442

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad