GDT: Raleigh Hurricanes vs. Sunrise Panthers

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Wonder if the tracking data is good enough that they're looking at that now. Remember, it's where the puck contacts the stick that matters, not how high the end of the stick is. If the puck never goes above 4 feet high, it's a good goal.
I want to know the person who thinks this (how high the end of the stick is), so I can point and laugh at them.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Rod post game pointed out that his best players were missing tonight. That tells me he is pissed off. He mentioned “want to” that Canes were known for past five years has been very spotty this year.

He’s telling facts. Outside of KK, top 2 lines were meh (Aho scored but was a non factor much of game) and bottom two lines don’t try to score.

Aho, despite scoring his goal, spent a lot of time standing still waiving his stick.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Disappointing loss.

IMO, Carolina should've had a lot of motivation to beat Florida after they eliminated us in the playoffs last season; even if it was just a regular season game.

For Rod to say our top guys didn't show up last night, that's unusually critical of his players.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Disappointing loss.

IMO, Carolina should've had a lot of motivation to beat Florida after they eliminated us in the playoffs last season; even if it was just a regular season game.

For Rod to say our top guys didn't show up last night, that's unusually critical of his players.
It makes one wonder if he is starting to lose the room a little. Or the team is so used to success that they are lazy.
He all but called them lazy. "gotta put your work boots on, its not easy"

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Keep blaming tda.

Where's svechammer to tell me they need to trade him? This loss is on Orlov. 2 goals on his shitty presence. That's 3 games I blame on him.

He's about to fall into the same category as Darling and Samsonov. There are very few canes players I've disliked. Orlov is fast coming to that list. What a mistake.
What made you dislike Samsonov? He was pretty solid for us. Seems weird to lump him in with the likes of Darling.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Updated Goals Against / 60 at 5v5 for Canes defensemen as of today:
DeAngelo: 3.86
Pesce and Orlov: 2.59
Slavin: 2.3
Burns: 2.15
Chatfield: 2.02
Skjei: 1.74

Updated Goals For / 60 at 5v5 for Canes defensemen as of today:
Pesce: 5.18
Skjei: 2.98
Burns: 2.96
Slavin: 2.56
Orlov: 1.73
DeAngelo: 1.16
Chatfield: 0.81

GF% at 5v5:
Pesce: 66.7%
Skjei: 63.2%
Burns: 57.9%
Slavin: 52.6%
Orlov: 40%
Chatfield: 28.6%
DeAngelo: 23.1%

Reactions: Tryamw

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
We need TDA to have a Power Play that is respectable and possibly inside the top 10. You guys can hate him but we just do not have anyone else on the roster that can work it like Tony does.

Also that has an effect on how teams play us. If they know our PP is weak and ineffective they will play us harder and take more penalties just because they arent scared of us.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We need TDA to have a Power Play that is respectable and possibly inside the top 10. You guys can hate him but we just do not have anyone else on the roster that can work it like Tony does.

Also that has an effect on how teams play us. If they know our PP is weak and ineffective they will play us harder and take more penalties just because they arent scared of us.

The switch from TDA to Orlov on the top unit was surely noticeable. Also, Chatfield didn’t do himself any favors last night.

They have a good bit to figure out on the back end. Outside of Skjei, none of them have looked like the “elite” group they were billed to be.

Personally, I think that TDA needs to be a fixture. They figured out how to mask his defensive miscues 2 seasons ago (Slavin). Time to go back to that pair imho. Mix and match with the rest. Easiest to keep Skjei-Pesce together, however, Skjei-Orlov looked good together and I suppose Pesce could play opposite Burns if need be.

Even with putting TDA with Slavin and mush-mashing the rest, you have the problem of what to do with Chatfield. I’d look to move one of Chatfield or Pesce (maybe with Drury attached)to add another forward who could take Martinook’s place on the Staal line and a proper depth D.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

People don't "hate" him (at least most people). People just know that he's been a liability 5v5, so his positives on the PP has to overcome his negatives the rest of the game. That's the equation. This isn't new news.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
People don't "hate" him (at least most people). People just know that he's been a liability 5v5, so his positives on the PP has to overcome his negatives the rest of the game. That's the equation. This isn't new news.

Some people definitely hate him and will hate him regardless of how he plays. However, the people on this board don't take that stance and instead take the stance you pointed out, which makes the weird irrational defending of him stand out even more.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

This doesn't sound like coasting to a playoff spot is the current mentality. Still feels like a bit of ennui has set in..hope it's not the weight of expectations.

As for the Metro Crown or the President's Trophy, etc. looks like the Rangers or Vegas/Bruins may be claiming those spots and are comfortable doing so.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There’s no need to worry about the Metro/whathaveyou. Obviously, having home ice would be best for the team (especially given their struggles historically on the road), but you’ve got to win 16 no matter how it plays out.

Focus on winning the games now, and cross the playoffs bridge when that comes about.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The switch from TDA to Orlov on the top unit was surely noticeable. Also, Chatfield didn’t do himself any favors last night.

They have a good bit to figure out on the back end. Outside of Skjei, none of them have looked like the “elite” group they were billed to be.

Personally, I think that TDA needs to be a fixture. They figured out how to mask his defensive miscues 2 seasons ago (Slavin). Time to go back to that pair imho. Mix and match with the rest. Easiest to keep Skjei-Pesce together, however, Skjei-Orlov looked good together and I suppose Pesce could play opposite Burns if need be.

Even with putting TDA with Slavin and mush-mashing the rest, you have the problem of what to do with Chatfield. I’d look to move one of Chatfield or Pesce (maybe with Drury attached)to add another forward who could take Martinook’s place on the Staal line and a proper depth D.

I could get behind this.

Burns is also getting old...we should try to decrease his minutes.

Skjei - Orlov
Slavin - TDA
Pesce - Burns

Burns eye test looks worse than the fancy stats. I'd be willing to try TDA with someone other than Orlov or Chat.

Slavin or Skjei ideally.

Reactions: Daeavorn and Borsig

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

This doesn't sound like coasting to a playoff spot is the current mentality. Still feels like a bit of ennui has set in..hope it's not the weight of expectations.

As for the Metro Crown or the President's Trophy, etc. looks like the Rangers or Vegas/Bruins may be claiming those spots and are comfortable doing so.

It could be a lot of things. I don't think it's coasting, but they definitely didn't bring the effort required. I mean they're human too. Even if you want to get up for a game, it doesn't mean you will. It's Rod's job to be pissed. He'd be doing them a disservice if he just gave them a pass. They need to come out guns blazing tonight. I've never seen Rod pissed about a loss if he believes the effort was there.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Not buying the PP wizardry of DeAngelo narrative. It wasn’t that long ago that he was a QBing a PP that converted at just 13% in the playoffs. We’ve seen a variety of quality D on the PP in this era (Faulk, Hamilton, DeAngelo, Burns, Gostisbehere) and the story has been the same in the end. How much of an impact can a player make from that spot on the ice?

If they can afford defensively to dress him, great. Otherwise, to the pressbox he goes.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
You must have loved Eric Staal in his final years with the team :laugh:
Ask my wife. I was literally shouting qt him calling him a lazy mother f***er. In fact Staal was lazier than Samsonov. The difference was he did a lot for us. Samsonov not so much

Not buying the PP wizardry of DeAngelo narrative. It wasn’t that long ago that he was a QBing a PP that converted at just 13% in the playoffs. We’ve seen a variety of quality D on the PP in this era (Faulk, Hamilton, DeAngelo, Burns, Gostisbehere) and the story has been the same in the end. How much of an impact can a player make from that spot on the ice?

If they can afford defensively to dress him, great. Otherwise, to the pressbox he goes.

A lot. Orlov was on his off side and missed several keeps. 1 ppg and one of orlovs stupid mouth breather gaffes less and we win that game.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I mean, last night at least, it was very noticeable that replacing DeAngelo with Orlov did not work out. There were a couple times that a setup for a one-timer was obvious, but because of the handedness difference between TonyD and Orlov, there was enough time for the opposing PK to block the shooting lane. One of those times led to Aho taking a penalty immediately after.

Now, that could have been simply because he wasn’t used to playing the PP, or that the team was playing like shit in general, but it definitely wasn’t the same PP we’ve seen the past few games

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
The problem is that Burns orlov and tda all need component partners right now. You're going to have to split up skjei and pesce. Chatty can't make up for Orlov’s uselessness.
Honestly I wish they'd sit orlov and see what happens.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The over exaggeration of Orlov’s play is funny.

The best available FA isn’t typically ‘lazy.’ But the narrative has to be formed to ensure you can somehow raise TDA on a pedestal.

Is he perfect? Nope. Is he making mistakes in the system like everyone else did? Yep. Everything else? Nope.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad