GDT: Raleigh Hurricanes vs. Long Island Islanders

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I always thought Mike was insufferable on the aftermath. Now that he only has to talk to one person (Tripp, Shane, etc) who is generally sticking to his same talking points he’s much more palatable. You can tell when he’s dropping lines he’s planned out in advance and they’re usually pretty funny but keeping up with the action isn’t exactly his strongest suit. No matter what no one was going to replace forslund and that’s not his fault and I still mourn that John isn’t part of the hurricanes anymore
John probably has regrets too leaving his Apex home for Seattle. He still calls occasional National games and is always a good listen

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Was lurking around here last night, damn it was toxic. Remember the days when being above .500 didn’t have everyone on suicide watch? Pepperidge farms remembers.

I’ll admit I turned off the game after the second to do more productive things, but turned it back on seconds before Orlov scored. Y’all can thank me for the OT win.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
For me it's not the rehearsed lines, it's the affected pronunciations after goals, shots and what not that he can't quite sell as genuine heat-of-the moment stuff. They sound like requisite building blocks of your average play-by-play.

"Sebastian Aho ooo-winns it in ohhhhvertime!" etc.
Yeah I like big rig enough but.... yeah

My god do I miss Chuck Kaiton. Way more than Forslund. WAY more. Those lonely nights of riding back from the OBX after fishing all day and listening to him, just make me long for his voice. SamSOnoc SHOOOOTing. The moments where he'd speed up so fast you couldnt understand, and his sadness at a pause from a word from our sponsors lol... I do miss that guy.

Tripp is okay until we start to suck and he makes excuses and spouts bullshit. We are going to have Maniscalco for a while I think. Shane seems too chill. If bally goes Tango Uniform who knows if that changes.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
That's fair, but if we are going to attribute losses to singular plays, should we also attribute wins? Without Orlov's assist against Philly and without his goal last night, we don't win those games, so shouldn't he then be directly responsible for 2 wins as well?

Secondly, on top of +/- being a terrible stat, he's not -10, he's -8; and we need point out that 3 of those minuses are when the opponent scored an EN goal. Here are the goals against 5v5 for all of our defensemen:

DeAngelo: 9GA in 149 minutes
Slavin: 8GA in 200 minutes
Burns: 7GA in 179 minutes
Orlov: 7GA in 172 minutes
Skjei: 6GA in 179 minutes
Pesce: 3GA in 75 minutes
Chatfield: 2GA in 120 minute

Your comment about his salary is fair.

Still can’t believe Chatfield started this season in the press box. 2GA in 120 minutes of 5v5 is fantastic, even if it’s against easier opponents. He plays some fantastic D

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Still can’t believe Chatfield started this season in the press box. 2GA in 120 minutes of 5v5 is fantastic, even if it’s against easier opponents. He plays some fantastic D
I'm inclined to try to re-sign Chat over Pesce and Skjei. Of course there's a chance all 3 walk but my priority has always been Pesce, that's shifting to Chat now. Nikishin-Chatty long term seems like it'd be a great 2nd pairing. Morrow fits well with Slavin skillset-wise, although it wouldn't surprise me at all if Burns plays another 4-5 years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

He has been solid.

The question also: Is how the team playing defensively partially because of Chatfield? or is he reaping the benefits of a team that has tightened up more recently as his playing time increases since Pesce got injured.

Early in the season, the Canes were bleeding goals against overall giving up 30 goals in their 1st 5 games. Chatfield played only 4 of those games and his TOI was low in 3 of the 4. Since then, they've gotten back to playing the type of game we've become accustomed to and given up only 12 goals in the last 6 games and Chatfield has played in all 6 and his TOI has increased as well.

Either way, he's done well.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Hopefully the app sucks a little less after this.

Screenshot_20231105-105642.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm inclined to try to re-sign Chat over Pesce and Skjei. Of course there's a chance all 3 walk but my priority has always been Pesce, that's shifting to Chat now. Nikishin-Chatty long term seems like it'd be a great 2nd pairing. Morrow fits well with Slavin skillset-wise, although it wouldn't surprise me at all if Burns plays another 4-5 years.
Yeah, I've resigned myself that it's a foregone conclusion that probably both (or at least 1) of Skjei and Pesce will move on after this year. The Canes MO has been to not sign guys like that to a big deal in the late 20s. Unless they take some kind of deal to stay, but if I was them, I'd try to cash in while I still can.

Chat will depend on what he wants.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

I almost posted yesterday afternoon that all things considered, I'm thinking there's a greater probability that Chat ends up as a Canes regular going forward than Pesce. Chat is only 18 months younger but it seems to me like he's going to hold up physically a lot better than that difference might suggest. Some may say that he hasn't yet proved that he can successfully hold down a second pair spot, but I haven't seen anything that suggests he can't, either. Canes can't pay market value for all the D currently on the roster; between Chat and Morrow (hopefully), seems like they might be able to stock 2/3 of the right side at a pretty reasonable cost.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I almost posted yesterday afternoon that all things considered, I'm thinking there's a greater probability that Chat ends up as a Canes regular going forward than Pesce. Chat is only 18 months younger but it seems to me like he's going to hold up physically a lot better than that difference might suggest. Some may say that he hasn't yet proved that he can successfully hold down a second pair spot, but I haven't seen anything that suggests he can't, either. Canes can't pay market value for all the D currently on the roster; between Chat and Morrow (hopefully), seems like they might be able to stock 2/3 of the right side at a pretty reasonable cost.
Id rather keep Skjei at this time and Chatfield.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If Chatfield continues to shine some team will entice him with top-4 money. Seems to me he'd like to stay here but prime-age contracts only come once in a career.

Skeji is good as gone, Pesce is an unknown but it'd be easier to convince him to stay.

Morrow/Boom will be factored in one way or another on the futures of the above 3.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If Chatfield continues to shine some team will entice him with top-4 money. Seems to me he'd like to stay here but prime-age contracts only come once in a career.

Skeji is good as gone, Pesce is an unknown but it'd be easier to convince him to stay.

Morrow/Boom will be factored in one way or another on the futures of the above 3.

Unless the Borg signs him to a decent contract before his shine (if it happens) is fully apparent and he hits UFA. While that might be a bit of a gamble, it seems like the type of gamble the Borg has hit on a couple times already. I fully agree about Morrow and Boom.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I kept getting an error on my Xbox last night. Had to use the app on my phone and send it to my tv.

I was getting errors on all my Rokus until I updated the Roku software via the system settings. It also updates any apps that need it, which in my case Bally needed it. After that it worked. So stupid though. All it said was sign-in failed instead of any useful error message.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Was lurking around here last night, damn it was toxic. Remember the days when being above .500 didn’t have everyone on suicide watch? Pepperidge farms remembers.

I’ll admit I turned off the game after the second to do more productive things, but turned it back on seconds before Orlov scored. Y’all can thank me for the OT win.

You'd think last year would have taught us not to react too harshly too early but I think we have some members with emotional Tourette's, lol. I suspect there's stuff that gets posted in the heat of the moment that doesn't necessarily reflect opinions the next day. Of course, we also have a couple worst case scenario / sky is falling members, as well. :D

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I still think we are, at the moment, a borderline team. See how we do against Boston (already lost to NYR) NJD, TML, Vegas, Dallas.

I think some of the angst is that we KNOW we are in our window and don't want it squandered

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Re: Chat
I think this is the kind of player that if he hits free agency someone will try to lure him with term. For example, I could see the Blackhawks offering him 7 years, $3M per. It sounds loony but I could see it. I'd hope we can work out a team friendly 5 x $2.5M, but with each passing game that seems low. In truth he offers little offense, so that will help keep the dollars down.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah I like big rig enough but.... yeah

My god do I miss Chuck Kaiton. Way more than Forslund. WAY more. Those lonely nights of riding back from the OBX after fishing all day and listening to him, just make me long for his voice. SamSOnoc SHOOOOTing. The moments where he'd speed up so fast you couldnt understand, and his sadness at a pause from a word from our sponsors lol... I do miss that guy.

Tripp is okay until we start to suck and he makes excuses and spouts bullshit. We are going to have Maniscalco for a while I think. Shane seems too chill. If bally goes Tango Uniform who knows if that changes.
The treatment of Chuck was disgraceful. For all the good TD has done that was something that even a bumbling simpleton like Terry Pegulia knew better than to do.
20210717_160848.jpg

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Id rather keep Skjei at this time and Chatfield.
Skjei has been our best and most dependable non-Slavin D lately honestly but I just don’t see any spot for him long term with Slavin a lifetime Cane and Nikishin coming in (with Orlov as the bridge to him). Plus with his offense he will probably get the biggest contract of any of these guys.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Chat's wheels seem to less milage on them through less NHL seasons.

I'm a fan but also of Pesce and Skjei. I hope Canes sign 2 of the 3 and get Morrow to sign an ELC after his season and stay with the big club.

You'd think last year would have taught us not to react too harshly too early but I think we have some members with emotional Tourette's, lol. I suspect there's stuff that gets posted in the heat of the moment that doesn't necessarily reflect opinions the next day. Of course, we also have a couple worst case scenario / sky is falling members, as well. :D
Game threads for any team in any sport have emotional highs and lows along with irrational comments (I certainly have made a bunch of them). 24 hours of cooling typically take someone off the ledge (unless you are right now an Oiler or Leaf fan).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad