Raleigh and the Triangle Guide and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
BTW forgot to mention a heads up - AC/DC if you're reading this, remove Duck and Dumpling from the list. Empire Eats pulled the plug on it on 12/31. No announcement as of yet as to what's going in that space, but from what I understand, after Chef Mao defected to start David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar (http://www.ddandnb.com/) in the space that was Darryl's and later Red Hot and Blue on Hillsborough St., quality at Duck and Dumpling went downhill. Shame I never got to try it...oh well, guess I'll just have to hit up David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar sometime. :nod:

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
Sup guys, I'm going to Raleigh on Superbowl weekend (work, don't ask me why) and was wondering what tickets are like if you just walk up to the window? Guess I'm asking if anything decent is avaliable, I've only been to a Canes game once before and they gave us some upperdeck seats for 20 a pop with Student IDs, does that still roll?

Thanks a lot, the game is against the Thrashers so I guess I can be a Canes fan for a day. :laugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
they're pretty decent usually the day of the game. Though we have had a couple recent weekend sellouts and Atlanta might not be an exception to that. You might want to call the arena ahead of time so they can hold the tickets at willcall. In fact giving them a call ahead of time knowing you'll be here is the best bet, I think the prices go up a bit the week of the game.

I know they do the student ID thing on select nights, but not sure it's every night. Then again it's almost 10 years since I was eligible for that.

CertainShadeOfGreene

Oct 8, 2010
Westchester
Hey guys
A friend moved to Youngsville, NC (northeast of Raleigh, by Wake Forest) recently (from NJ), so I want to get down there to see him and get to the Hurricanes/Devils game on 2/19. He's new to the area, and I've never been, so any advice on the drive there (best roads to take, shortcuts, places to get lunch along the way), tailgating (time, acceptable or not acceptable items, best sections in the lot to), bar hopping (for out of towners) before and/or after the game would be greatly appreciated! Google maps looks like it's pretty easy (US-1 to I-440, and there will hopefully be signs leading up to the place)
I need to re-read through the first post on this thread again more clearly (it's quite a long one!) and I'm gonna take up some of those ideas, too.

Also, would you know where the visiting team's entrance/exit would be? Do the visitors usually sign autographs at the arena?

Thanks for the help!

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
2/19 is a saturday... It's easy on a Sat...

If you are near WF, I would take US-1 (Capital Blvd) to I-440 (take first exit for 440), Go to Wade Ave to I-40 exit (Immediately after Lake Boone Trail), merge onto Wade avenue, go to your second exit (Edwards Mill), Turn left on Edwards Mill, Stadium on the left

If it's nice out... Get there at 4, you won't pay to park at first, but they will come collect... $10, cash only... I would park on the side that faces Edwards Mill Rd, where you come in... Go in the parking lot immediately after the VIP entrance... Park out by the road, there is a ton of grass in that area to set up..

There are tons of bars to choose from, what kind of places are you looking for?

iggyDDS

Nov 15, 2005
Brooklyn
What's the best way to get from RBC center into the city since I read the stadium is sort of on the outskirts (at least outside of the downtown area)?

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I'll try to post here if I find anything out, as I am coming in by train myself and staying downtown. If there is no frequent transit constantly running back and forth then it is a major oversight IMO. I emailed someone at the convention center and they forwarded it to someone else to get back to me, but I haven't heard anything yet.

The News and Observer seemed to indicate that most special guests will be using limos and taxis, but mentioned nothing about transit for the average fan.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
I was thinking 115/190, but close enough. It's in that ballpark.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
$125 for a blank, I got mine a week ago, but with tax it comes out to $135ish. Just as much money to buy a blank one and get it embroidered as it is to buy a pre-embroidered one, but I'm sure what that price actually is.

CertainShadeOfGreene

Oct 8, 2010
Westchester
2/19 is a saturday... It's easy on a Sat...

If you are near WF, I would take US-1 (Capital Blvd) to I-440 (take first exit for 440), Go to Wade Ave to I-40 exit (Immediately after Lake Boone Trail), merge onto Wade avenue, go to your second exit (Edwards Mill), Turn left on Edwards Mill, Stadium on the left

If it's nice out... Get there at 4, you won't pay to park at first, but they will come collect... $10, cash only... I would park on the side that faces Edwards Mill Rd, where you come in... Go in the parking lot immediately after the VIP entrance... Park out by the road, there is a ton of grass in that area to set up..

There are tons of bars to choose from, what kind of places are you looking for?

Thanks!! $10 isnt bad at all, considering everything in NY/NJ is $20 or more, and on-site parking sometimes can be +/-$30.

I'm looking for a place to grab a beer and mingle with the fans (although i'll be wearing the opposing team gear). I did realize its $1 hot dog night, so I don't think I'll be looking for food before the game!

Also, is it worth it to get there really early and go anywhere else around the arena? Sights, things to experience, etc? I heard there's a museum nearby, is that a good stop?

After the game, what is the usual last call for bars in the area? 2AM like up here?

Thanks again!!!

Cognitive Dissonace

Dec 11, 2010
South Bay
Figured I'd come here to see if any of my old favorite food joints were listed, since I moved away from the Raleigh area a few months shy of a year. A. Whoever put Balihai on that list, I love you. :) B. El Rodeo on 329 S Blount St, Raleigh is absolutely delicious and not too expensive Mexican food, if my memory serves me right. It is right there by Artspace in the Moore Square area. There are also Char Grill burgers on Hillsborough Street.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Figured I'd come here to see if any of my old favorite food joints were listed, since I moved away from the Raleigh area a few months shy of a year. A. Whoever put Balihai on that list, I love you. :) B. El Rodeo on 329 S Blount St, Raleigh is absolutely delicious and not too expensive Mexican food, if my memory serves me right. It is right there by Artspace in the Moore Square area. There are also Char Grill burgers on Hillsborough Street.

The words "El Rodeo" and "absolutely delicious" do not belong in the same sentence. Ever. There's too much good Mexican in this town to slum it at El Rodeo. Dos Perros, Dos Taquitos/Dos Taquitos Centro, or Chubby's all make El Rodeo look like the hole that it is. If you're looking for authenticity, Durham's got more taquerias than you can shake a stick at.

Do you guys ever go out AFTER the game? Any hotspots other than Bistro?

You could always try the Village Draft House or The Flying Saucer. Personally I'm a fan of Fullsteam in Durham. Not a lot of 'Canes fans hang out there, but it's a good place to get some good beer after a game and they usually have a food truck or two parked nearby. Friday's you've got the Farmhand Foods Sausage Wagon there, Saturday's you've got Klausie's Pizza, Only Burger heads out there sometimes too.

Similarly Big Boss' Horniblow's Tavern is a possibility though I'm not sure how late they're open.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
How do your fans treat visiting fans? I am thinking of coming down for the Jackets game on the 12th. Also what would be a good place to take my wife for her birthday dinner? Nothing real expensive just some where nice. Thanks

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
what would be a good place to take my wife for her birthday dinner? Nothing real expensive just some where nice. Thanks

Do you know where are you going to be staying? Thinking it'd be best to recommend something nearest the place you're staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad