Confirmed with Link: Rakell to re-sign with the Penguins (6 years, $5 million AAV)

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'll get you one with my name on it........ much better value, high character talent.

lf

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve warmed up to this. I hope we see more of him on PP1 too. Like maybe alternate him & Rust. Rust can retrieve pucks but I think Rakell can actually score from the half-wall with his shot.

Kind of think he’s a better fit for Sid too with his size.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’ve warmed up to this. I hope we see more of him on PP1 too. Like maybe alternate him & Rust. Rust can retrieve pucks but I think Rakell can actually score from the half-wall with his shot.

He *is* a better fit for what Sid/Jake need out of their other winger than what Rust brings. Rakell actually brings a "bigger" body who can almost fit the dirty role better than Rust and his skating around the perimeter fast game that he's developed since he learned how to score.

Reactions: Jacob

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@Empoleon8771 follows our/the Rust structure.

Yeah I saw that, the contract was definitely structured the same way we were thinking, we were just assuming that Rakell wouldn't be making as much as $6 million in some of those years.

I think I had him at something like 3 years at $5.5 million, 1 year at $4.5 million and 2 years at $3 million. The Penguins did the same thing, he just made a bit more money each year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It cost the Avs 6.125 x 8 to re-sign Nichuskin. Rakell is overwhelmingly the better player of the two and both contracts end when they are 35. Just for some context of what the market looks like outside our little bubble.

Imagine your hometown discount as defending champs was 6.125 on max term for a player who scored more than 14g and 34pts for the first time as a 27 year old?
Yea, but he had a monster playoffs for the Avs. Rakell’s career playoff numbers are pretty weak outside of one season in 2016-17.

We don’t know what Rakell is capable of in the playoffs here. I suspect he will be a 45 point player this season if we can find a decent center for him. The deal seems a little pricey for those type of numbers.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

I think he's a better fit for L1 as well but we know Rust works there and (big if) I would rather give the better guy to Geno if he comes back.

I think RR is our 2nd best winger behind Jake

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Can anyone blame him? I'd ask for the most money as well. This is his BIG contract.

He ain't handing out discounts to any team.

5M for his services is acceptable. He was comparable to Rust on the top line so I'm more than happy paying Guentz, Rust, Rakell in the 5-6M range. It's fair.
Jake will likely double Rakell’s points if he can stay healthy. The fact that he only makes a million more is crazy.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I want him tried with Crosby and Malkin.

Whichever line works better gets him and the other gets Rust. Both are top 6 wingers and if Malkin works better with Rust break up GCR for GCR.

We need line 2 moving this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad