Confirmed with Link: Rakell to re-sign with the Penguins (6 years, $5 million AAV)

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

I forgot how long this new contract was. 6 years, dear lord.

Imagine we get Zucker 2.0 from this?
200w.gif

Reactions: Pens x

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The guy is instantly our best defensive top 6 forward, is a right-hand shot, can play both wings, hangs around the net, and can create on his own. He's a really good player and he fits anywhere. Getting that for 5m is exactly what we need for the rest of the window. And he only makes 3.6m per the last two years, making his contract attractive to the cap floor teams when he's older.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The guy is instantly our best defensive top 6 forward, is a right-hand shot, can play both wings, hangs around the net, and can create on his own. He's a really good player and he fits anywhere. Getting that for 5m is exactly what we need for the rest of the window. And he only makes 3.6m per the last two years, making his contract attractive to the cap floor teams when he's older.
Contract's small enough money that it doesn't preclude adding another good top 6 forward this year either.

Bertuzzi anyone?

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker's contract is problematic right now because the Penguins are trying to win right now and Zucker isn't pulling his weight at $5.5 million.

No one is going to give a crap if Rakell is the next Zucker in 4 years because the team is going to suck in 4 years.

Reactions: BillPrep

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I feel like people are expecting Rakell to put up big numbers, but he’s only scored more than 51 points one time, and scored 18 or more goals in a season three times.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t see him as a passenger. I think he’s an all-around guy with a good skillset. We saw him generate chances on his own and set up Sid with chances too. Cycles well, physical, goes to the net. He should be on L1 with Sid.

Yeah Rakell is a roided up version of Simon, basically a very smart player with just a very well rounded all-around game. He's an intelligent jack of all trades guy that was actually talented enough to stick as a top-6 forward.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah Rakell is a roided up version of Simon, basically a very smart player with just a very well rounded all-around game. He's an intelligent jack of all trades guy that was actually talented enough to stick as a top-6 forward.
Being like Simon is good???

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I feel like people are expecting Rakell to put up big numbers, but he’s only scored more than 51 points one time, and scored 18 or more goals in a season three times.

But who were his previous linemates? He'll be with Sid or Geno mostly- that should be good for at least 20 goals

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think Zucker 2.0 is off the table at all. They actually have pretty similar career trajectories. 40-50point player with a big season thrown in there. Came to the Pens at the deadline and looked great. He's hurt a lot (never played a full season). He's making less money in a world with a presumed bigger cap and they gave up less to get him, but $5M is still a decent chunk of change. If he's not a consistent 50+ point guy, people will start to sour on him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy to have him back at this contract, but there's a world where he is Zucker 2.0. Signing players of his ilk are always a risk.

Reactions: Andy99

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I think he'll be a reliable 20G/30A guy here, with a ceiling of 30/30 if he stays healthy & finds his game from a few years ago. Happy to pay 5 million for that when the guy is defensively responsible to boot.

In a small sample size we already saw he can play with 71 or 87 so hopefully he catches fire with one of them in the coming years. If he does he can easily pot 25-30 and add a lot of value to this team.

I'm not expecting "big" numbers but I'm expecting consistency, and I'm expecting a guy who is not Kapanen/E-Rod levels of frustration to watch. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, at 29 years old he still has a good chance to find another gear.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Some notable Rakell highlights in his time here so far:

at 0:50 - Strong effort by 67 on the forecheck, nice positioning to get the puck, then a sick dish to 87 for the goal.
at 5:50 - 67 gains the zone and makes a sick drop pass to Sid, then Zucker for the goal.

Rakell's first snipe as a Pen; Bob Errey is dumbfounded by the curve of his stick on the replay.

And this has gotta be his best one. Just sick awareness and reaction time by 67 on the setup.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think he'll be a reliable 20G/30A guy here, with a ceiling of 30/30 if he stays healthy & finds his game from a few years ago. Happy to pay 5 million for that when the guy is defensively responsible to boot.

In a small sample size we already saw he can play with 71 or 87 so hopefully he catches fire with one of them in the coming years. If he does he can easily pot 25-30 and add a lot of value to this team.

I'm not expecting "big" numbers but I'm expecting consistency, and I'm expecting a guy who is not Kapanen/E-Rod levels of frustration to watch. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, at 29 years old he still has a good chance to find another gear.
Yea, everyone finds their game at 30. I know Dupuis did, but that’s unusual.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
No way will the Pens suck in the near future after they sign MacKinnon to an 8-year deal worth $13M per.

[Pens traded assets to Colorado for Mac's rights to get that 8th year]

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Stepping back from the mania of free agency, this feels like an overpay at least in years.

Just looking back to his Anaheim career after 2017-2018...not that inspiring. I like him as a player and wanted him back, but I don't think someone else would have thrown $30M at him.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Stepping back from the mania of free agency, this feels like an overpay at least in years.

Just looking back to his Anaheim career after 2017-2018...not that inspiring. I like him as a player and wanted him back, but I don't think someone else would have thrown $30M at him.
Agree…we got him in a contract year too…players play harder in those years…you have to look overall at his body of work…he was worth $4.5M/5 years at the top end…he’s not a special enough player that the Pens should have thrown more salary and term at him…RH should have let him test the market if he was asking for $30M

Now that his diet issues are in the rearview, anything is possible. Plus he is now a daddy
Do children help you become a better hockey player? Someone should tell Sid that…

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I don’t see him as a passenger. I think he’s an all-around guy with a good skillset. We saw him generate chances on his own and set up Sid with chances too. Cycles well, physical, goes to the net. He should be on L1 with Sid.
Agreed. I was surprised how much he threw his body around. I don’t know how anyone can have a problem with this deal while Zucker is still on the books.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania

I mean, Gretzky himself wouldn’t have inspired on those Ducks teams.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad