Confirmed with Link: Rakell to re-sign with the Penguins (6 years, $5 million AAV)

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Stepping back from the mania of free agency, this feels like an overpay at least in years.

Just looking back to his Anaheim career after 2017-2018...not that inspiring. I like him as a player and wanted him back, but I don't think someone else would have thrown $30M at him.

Who cares about the years overpay? We're gonna suck in 3 years anyway.

Someone above me hit the nail- he's got Chemistry with both our top centers. Considering the wingers we've cycled through, that's got a ton of value on this team.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean, Gretzky himself wouldn’t have inspired on those Ducks teams.
He sure inspired this Ducks team

CG0C.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Who cares about the years overpay? We're gonna suck in 3 years anyway.

Someone above me hit the nail- he's got Chemistry with both our top centers. Considering the wingers we've cycled through, that's got a ton of value on this team.

Off of a very small sample size.

Even if we suck I want good contracts or no contracts (so we can be bribed to be a cap floor team).

I'm not excessively worried about it but figured since the thread got bumped may as well weigh in. He did a good job securing the bag.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Off of a very small sample size.

Even if we suck I want good contracts or no contracts (so we can be bribed to be a cap floor team).

I'm not excessively worried about it but figured since the thread got bumped may as well weigh in. He did a good job securing the bag.
The salary cap will probably take a really sizable jump up in 3 or 4 years time. The only reason the cap is flat lately is the players have to "pay back" their share or the revenue loss from COVID.

Five years from now a 5MM cap hit will feel more like a 4MM cap hit today.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Yea, everyone finds their game at 30. I know Dupuis did, but that’s unusual.
As a dude in his 30's I take offense to this clear ageism. Seriously though, he just turned 29. If he was Jeff Carter age sure I hear you but he's nowhere close. 29 is peak hockey years for most skill players. I have a good feeling about Rakell, and for Sleepy to pay market value I think the org does too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've worried he'll be another Zucker too - hot start, subpar continuation - and I also don't like what we paid for him. Can live with it, but don't like it.

But what was the alternative? Any guy can go sour, particularly if they have Zucker's luck. We needed another top six forward. He got the price we'd have paid for such a guy in UFA unless we'd waited and waited and won the "underpay Niederreiter" lotto. The team could have targeted cap casualties but all the cap casualties I like came from our division and wouldn't have been offered here.

I'd say it's a good rule of thumb that teams pretty much never want to be in the position where they're doing this contract for this player. They want a steady stream of undercosted RFAs who they wave goodbye to when they hit this period of their career unless they bring something unique or are willing to take big discounts. We don't have those RFAs though.

So now to hope it works and the team can have enough RFAs and wriggle out of enough cap next season to chase some serious mofos.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If it wasn't for Captain Elbow, I doubt anyone would really have much concern.

The biggest concern to me is that he's shoehorned away from Sid even though he's shown he plays great like him. So in that respect, I could see him being Zucker2.0. Cemented on a line with Geno and Zucker1.0.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I've worried he'll be another Zucker too - hot start, subpar continuation - and I also don't like what we paid for him. Can live with it, but don't like it.

But what was the alternative? Any guy can go sour, particularly if they have Zucker's luck. We needed another top six forward. He got the price we'd have paid for such a guy in UFA unless we'd waited and waited and won the "underpay Niederreiter" lotto. The team could have targeted cap casualties but all the cap casualties I like came from our division and wouldn't have been offered here.

I'd say it's a good rule of thumb that teams pretty much never want to be in the position where they're doing this contract for this player. They want a steady stream of undercosted RFAs who they wave goodbye to when they hit this period of their career unless they bring something unique or are willing to take big discounts. We don't have those RFAs though.

So now to hope it works and the team can have enough RFAs and wriggle out of enough cap next season to chase some serious mofos.
I’m just worried about that concussion he sustained against the Rags being a problem going forward.

Rakell looked like a ghost in game 7. Hopefully the summer off let’s him fully recover.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If it wasn't for Captain Elbow, I doubt anyone would really have much concern.

The biggest concern to me is that he's shoehorned away from Sid even though he's shown he plays great like him. So in that respect, I could see him being Zucker2.0. Cemented on a line with Geno and Zucker1.0.
Injuries will happen so I imagine he will get time with both eventually.

I'd be interested in a Rakell-Crosby-Rust line and then Guentzel-Malkin-Zuck/Hein/Kappy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Injuries will happen so I imagine he will get time with both eventually.

I'd be interested in a Rakell-Crosby-Rust line and then Guentzel-Malkin-Zuck/Hein/Kappy
Jake and Sid are never going to be separated, but since camp and pre-season is the time to screw around with things. I'd actually like to see a Zucker-Sid-Rakell line with GMR. In theory, it could work. In theory.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jake and Sid are never going to be separated, but since camp and pre-season is the time to screw around with things. I'd actually like to see a Zucker-Sid-Rakell line with GMR. In theory, it could work. In theory.
What if Jake got hurt?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's true, I know a guy who got a concussion once that destroyed his brain so much he started posting here. The doctors said shooting him like a horse would be the humane thing to do, but then he got an account.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Between Sid's preference and Sullivan, this is never happening. But I think it's absolutely something we should be trying. But back to reality, I am just hoping they do Rakell and Heinen with Geno, and then let Zucker/Carter/Kapanen do what they are going to do in sheltered and limited TOI. What an awful line defensively, you'd just have to shelter them heavily.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's true, I know a guy who got a concussion once that destroyed his brain so much he started posting here. The doctors said shooting him like a horse would be the humane thing to do, but then he got an account.

I can count to potato

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad