Online Series: Raised by Wolves (HBO Max)

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
They were dropped yesterday.

Everyone looks so different. I get obviously the kids are going to grow up, but man its a pretty big difference, really throws you off at first. Even mother and father look slightly different too for some reason. They also just decided to change like half of the cast's hair.

First two episodes were alright I found, but kinda a step under season 1. Everything seems kinda crammed and rushed, hopefully that doesn't continue the rest of the season.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Really liked the last episode, kinda felt more like season 1 did. Hope that continues for the rest of the season. Really sucks that it looks like their CGI budget took a big hit for this season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I enjoyed it warts and all. Too high concept though IMO. Very tough to see a vision like this through start to finish. Too many questions that never get answered. You then rely on macguffins and deus ex machines to tidy things up which isn't satisfying. Hope it gets picked up though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Canceled by HBO Max

That's curious because the critic and audience scores at RT are both higher for Season 2 than for Season 1. I guess that HBO determined that it wasn't bringing in enough subscribers to be worth the cost.

I still haven't gotten around to Season 2. This news puts a little damper on my incentive to now.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That's curious because the critic and audience scores at RT are both higher for Season 2 than for Season 1. I guess that HBO determined that it wasn't bringing in enough subscribers to be worth the cost.

I still haven't gotten around to Season 2. This news puts a little damper on my incentive to now.
Its a casualty of the Warner Brothers/Discovery acquisition. Season one was great and HBO Max had nothing to do with the production or anything, just bought the show. Season 2 they drastically reduced the budget and it was really noticeable on the end product. With it being such a niche type of show, it clearly doesnt make enough profit for them considering Discovery just pumps out mainly reality TV nowadays because its so cheap to produce and has a broad audience.

I'm sure a bunch more HBO Max shows will be cut in the near future.

Reactions: Osprey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The show was a mess, so I'm hardly surprised. I kept waiting for answers and the plot just kept introducing more mysteries without ever answering any of the previous ones.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah I don't mind. It's a tough concept to work with with too many themes and mysteries to work around. I lost interest close to the end of season 2 and never picked up the remote to keep watching. I just don't think there's enough there to compel the viewer to stick through it. For all its high minded concepts, it ultimately comes down to walking dead-esque "society on the brink" conflicts. Plus the whole "let's see who the next character to hear voices and think they're having a religious revelation is" was getting downright exhausting.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yeah I don't mind. It's a tough concept to work with with too many themes and mysteries to work around. I lost interest close to the end of season 2 and never picked up the remote to keep watching. I just don't think there's enough there to compel the viewer to stick through it. For all its high minded concepts, it ultimately comes down to walking dead-esque "society on the brink" conflicts. Plus the whole "let's see who the next character to hear voices and think they're having a religious revelation is" was getting downright exhausting.

It is nothing like The Walking Dead. Part of the reason it hasn't found a wide audience is that unlike the walking dead it doesn't keep telling the same simple story on a loop with different sets. Season 2 is nothing like Season 1 and the way Season 2 ended, Season 3 was gonna be nothing like Season 1/2. Personally I think this is in the top-3 sci-fi shows of the last 10 years (perhaps only The Expanse is better) and one of the most original shows ever.

In an era where Superhero/Star Wars garbage which had infested big blockbusters and is now infesting what is sci-fi on tv, this show was a breath of fresh air. I'll take this any day over another tv show about a spinoff character Captain McAwesome Underwear superhero or some random tangential character from Star Wars.

I hope Ridley Scott exercises his hollywood influence and it gets picked up someplace else... this seems like a pretty good fit for Apple TV who are spending a gazillion dollars on Foundation that no one seems to have any passion for. Unlike that show, this show atleast has a passionate fanbase and is cheaper to produce.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It is nothing like The Walking Dead. Part of the reason it hasn't found a wide audience is that unlike the walking dead it doesn't keep telling the same simple story on a loop with different sets. Season 2 is nothing like Season 1 and the way Season 2 ended, Season 3 was gonna be nothing like Season 1/2. Personally I think this is in the top-3 sci-fi shows of the last 10 years (perhaps only The Expanse is better) and one of the most original shows ever.

In an era where Superhero/Star Wars garbage which had infested big blockbusters and is now infesting what is sci-fi on tv, this show was a breath of fresh air. I'll take this any day over another tv show about a spinoff character Captain McAwesome Underwear superhero or some random tangential character from Star Wars.

I hope Ridley Scott exercises his hollywood influence and it gets picked up someplace else... this seems like a pretty good fit for Apple TV who are spending a gazillion dollars on Foundation that no one seems to have any passion for. Unlike that show, this show atleast has a passionate fanbase and is cheaper to produce.
I wasn't making a point for point comparison. Juzt one aspect.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought the show jumped the shark after season 1 finale. It somehow managed to do it again in season 2. At least season 2 was more enjoyable to watch. Season 1 was one of the most unpleasant looking show that I can remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad