Online Series: Raised by Wolves (HBO Max)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I watched the first 3 episodes (the next 2 arrive on the 10th). It's not bad and is even fairly good if you like smart sci-fi. If you care for a minimum of description of what it's about, here's a one-sentence outline of just the first 30 minutes of the first episode:
A couple of androids take a handful of human embryos to an uninhabited planet and raise them, but the humans that they belong to find them eventually.
I like the visuals and direction and how creative the story is. I like that the characters say and do intelligent things. In other words, the plot isn't advanced by characters acting dumb (ironically, the opposite of Ridley Scott's Alien/Prometheus movies). I don't really like the characters, themselves, so I'm not really invested in anything that I'm watching, but they're interesting enough. The story can be a little hard to follow because the backstory and world building are doled out little by little as it goes along, sometimes via jumps in time, but it's not too bad and requires you to think. Anyways, I'm not blown away, but the series is good enough and scratches my sci-fi itch enough that I'll keep watching.

BTW, since we have a lot of Canadians here, I'm reading that it's on CraveTV and CTV Sci-Fi Channel up there.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
How many times is Scott going to rehash his robot fetish? What is this, the 6th or 7th time now?

I'll likely be watching this at some point, but Scotts recent outing with Covenant left a bad, bad, bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: Jussi and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How many times is Scott going to rehash his robot fetish? What is this, the 6th or 7th time now?

I'll likely be watching this at some point, but Scotts recent outing with Covenant left a bad, bad, bad taste in my mouth.

The series does sort of feel like just about every Ridley Scott movie ever made rolled into one. There are elements of Covenant, Prometheus, Alien, Blade Runner, The Martian, Black Hawk Down and even a little Exodus: Gods and Kings and Kingdom of Heaven. I'm half expecting to see something from Thelma & Louise in Episode 4 :laugh:

I'm a little burned out on Scott, as well, which is why I wasn't excited by the trailer and not loving it, but it's been watchable so far. Users over at RT seem to like it even more (89%), are gushing over it and seem to like it better than Prometheus and Covenant, FWIW.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Haven't finished all 3 episodes yet. Intrigued, but not entirely bought in. The stark differences between the relatively high effects budget (even if by no means a "major studio release" budget) compared to the seemingly empty costume and wardrobe budget can be quite jarring at times.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Haven't finished all 3 episodes yet. Intrigued, but not entirely bought in. The stark differences between the relatively high effects budget (even if by no means a "major studio release" budget) compared to the seemingly empty costume and wardrobe budget can be quite jarring at times.

That sums up my feeling so much better than I managed to communicate. As for the stark differences, there's also one between advanced technology in some parts and then the total lack of it in others (especially all of the "back to basics" living and farming), which you might say is common with Ridley Scott sci-fi. Also, the whole religious conflict feels very out of place for the 22nd century and more like something out of the 16th century, IMO. That said, I think that all of the stark differences do contribute to it being intriguing, even if they hurt the buy-in.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Watched the first 3 episodes and generally well done holy shit does it have a lot of bad vibes from Prometheus and Covenant. Also that blue/grey filter is making it duller than it is.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I have watched the 1st two episodes and I feel like there is definitely something here, in this story that is intriguing but I'm not fully invested. When she started flying around I thought I might turn it off. I don't care for the human's wardrobe, it looks crude and just downright goofy and out of place for everything else in the show.

They are doing a great job with that creepy droid vibe and not knowing what they are up to and I guess that's very similar to Alien.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My wife's been watching it and she's been bugging me to get into it as well. Just watched the first two episodes tonight. Yeah, not bad. However:
Unless there are a lot more people hanging out somewhere, the Mother bot killed the human race when she brought down the Heaven arkship. Yeah, six people isn't enough to start a new colony for the human race. They'll be inbred and sterile within five or six generations.

D'oh.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just watched episode 5 and it was the best so far. Fleshing out more of the back story. It's gotten better as it's gone along.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Unless there are a lot more people hanging out somewhere, the Mother bot killed the human race when she brought down the Heaven arkship. Yeah, six people isn't enough to start a new colony for the human race. They'll be inbred and sterile within five or six generations.

Yes, but they'll be inbred, sterile atheists. It's ironic that the characters are fixated on religion when extinction is the greater threat. It originally felt like the show was a critique of religion, but I'm starting to wonder if it's a critique of dogma in general, since both sides want to eliminate the other for the sake of the human race, but are dooming it in the process. It's an interesting, tragic theme.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm enjoying this. It's not perfect, but it's very appealing visually and I think the story has legs with a lot to potentially explore going forward.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm enjoying this. It's not perfect, but it's very appealing visually and I think the story has legs with a lot to potentially explore going forward.

I think the bland/colorless visuals are not doing this show any favors. Story is also moving reeeeeaally slow occasionally with things happening without any attempt by anyone to figure out/explain why.

But let's address the real issue: Travis Fimmel feels like he's doing Ragnar Lothbrok again. The exact same manerisms! Even talks like him!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think the bland/colorless visuals are not doing this show any favors. Story is also moving reeeeeaally slow occasionally with things happening without any attempt by anyone to figure out/explain why.

But let's address the real issue: Travis Fimmel feels like he's doing Ragnar Lothbrok again. The exact same manerisms! Even talks like him!

Totally disagree on the visuals. Definitely feels like they're on another planet. Fine with the pace too as the story is coming together more and more, yet they still have to offer few details on the mystery character.

As for the other thing, I assume from looking him up on IMDB it's from that Vikings show. Never watched it and I really didn't know of him before this.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I read that this was filmed in South Africa. They probably had to drain the color out just so that it wouldn't look like, well, South Africa. I'm not a fan of it (in this or any movie/show), either, but I suppose that it's effective in making the setting look otherworldly.

As for Fimmel, I've noticed the same thing. He's acting almost exactly like his Vikings character. The strange thing is that I recently watched the 2019 movie, Danger Close, in which he plays an Australian soldier in Vietnam, and he acts very differently, more "normal." Perhaps the producers of this show encouraged him to play this character like Ragnar and he obliged.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I read that this was filmed in South Africa. They probably had to drain the color out just so that it wouldn't look like, well, South Africa. I'm not a fan of it (in this or any movie/show), either, but I suppose that it's effective in making the setting look otherworldly.

As for Fimmel, I've noticed the same thing. He's acting almost exactly like his Vikings character. The strange thing is that I recently watched the 2019 movie, Danger Close, in which he plays an Australian soldier in Vietnam, and he acts very different, more "normal." Perhaps the producers of this show encouraged him to play this character like Ragnar and he obliged.

Yeah, I get the purpose of the effect. If they some day get to that tropical zone on the planet, I hope there's more color there.

Viking and this show are the only one's I've seen Fimmel in and it feels like there's no difference in his acting. Even the characters feel similarly written.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
lol my wife and I were just saying the other day how similarly the Marcus/Caleb and Ragnar characters were. Travis is pretty much just doing a little more restrained Ragnar for this role. He was in that Warcraft movie that came out a few years ago, and I don't remember him Ragnaring out so much there.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm enjoying it so far although the increasing intrusion of the mysterious voices and the creature/whoever was tracking the settlement and placing the tarot cards everywhere is getting annoying without any other explanation.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If no one else is going to say it, I will: Campion is one annoying kid. It feels like they mean for us to like him and care about him, but all that I ever want to do is strangle him.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If no one else is going to say it, I will: Campion is one annoying kid. It feels like they mean for us to like him and care about him, but all that I ever want to do is strangle him.

He is really turning into one annoying kid. Not sure if it's because he began dangling with the religion...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm a couple of episodes in and am really like the world building so far. Agreed on Campion though. Kid is super annoying.

* Edited to say all of the kids with the exception of Paul are super annoying.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad