OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Uh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Shouldve never traded dickerson for that bum deker. Also, cutch sucks. Marte should be in CF.

2-0

Shouldve been over and 0-0 but cutch cant play defense anymore.

Cutch has been the third-best center fielder on this team for over a year now. It's pretty obvious to everyone except him and Hurdle.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Shouldve never traded dickerson for that bum deker. Also, cutch sucks. Marte should be in CF.

2-0

Shouldve been over and 0-0 but cutch cant play defense anymore.

Again, it was one of those NH trades that left you scratching your head. I like Dickerson, but I lost touch with his status. I thought he would be good there immediately, looks like he is now getting his shot and may be a heck of a player.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Again, it was one of those NH trades that left you scratching your head. I like Dickerson, but I lost touch with his status. I thought he would be good there immediately, looks like he is now getting his shot and may be a heck of a player.

I remember Dickerson not being that well-regarded as a prospect (I think the knack on him was that he lacked the "power" needed to be a corner infielder). His numbers were solid, but not eye-popping, so I'm happy that he's made it. It looks like he exceeded the expectations by a decent margin, so far.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I remember Dickerson not being that well-regarded as a prospect (I think the knack on him was that he lacked the "power" needed to be a corner infielder). His numbers were solid, but not eye-popping, so I'm happy that he's made it. It looks like he exceeded the expectations by a decent margin, so far.

I have to note that Dickerson has 7 HR's in 111 AB's.

Marte has 7 HR's in 383 AB's

I understand Marte had a different toolset, but all you had to do was look at Dickerson's build to project some power.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

I understand Marte had a different toolset, but all you had to do was look at Dickerson's build to project some power.

Id take him over jaso thats for sure. He looks like a 20 homer guy no problem year in year out.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009

Not sure what role Dickerson would have when this guy is sitting in AAA right now

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
You can't use today's knowledge to judge a player's value in the past. Dickerson developed beyond what the Pirates expected. It happens.

FTR, I was disappointed when Dickerson was traded because I thought he had decent potential. I don't blame them for moving him, though. Decker was a risk that didn't work out. That also happens. The Pirates aren't worse today for it, so I don't even really care.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Alex Dickerson has done what exactly to be different than Chris Shelton? he's had a nice 40 games this year as a 26 year old

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Sword!!! Oh yeah, and it's a joke that they didn't charge Cutch with an error in the first. I think Joyce should play in his place the rest of the year or until further notice.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

He was a marginal prospect that missed time every year with back issues. He's just now getting his feet wet as a 26 year old and has never hit more than 17 HRs in a year and only more than 13 once.

Even if he keeps hitting at the (very small sample and unsustainable) pace he is right now he's still only on pace for a 2.4 WAR.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He was a marginal prospect that missed time every year with back issues. He's just now getting his feet wet as a 26 year old and has never hit more than 17 HRs in a year and only more than 13 once.

Even if he keeps hitting at the (very small sample and unsustainable) pace he is right now he's still only on pace for a 2.4 WAR.

War?? What is it good for, absolutely nothing, I'll say it again......

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Dickerson developed beyond what the Pirates and most people saw in him, while Decker just stopped developing. Decker was a former sandwich round pick Top 100 prospect who showed more power in the low minors (seasons of 16, 17 (in half a season), and 19) to go along with decent wheels, a solid glove, and a great eye...meanwhile Dickerson looked like he was going to fill out as a AAA caliber pure 1B without the power to break through to the Majors. From our POV it was trading a guy with a higher (but still minor league) floor and a limited ceiling for a guy with a low floor and a high ceiling...it wasn't a head-scratcher of a trade at the time and I think most of us would advocate deals like that more often than not.

105 at bats is a minuscule sample size. Remember when Chris Shelton hit 9 home runs in the first two weeks of the season about a dozen years back? He fell off the map almost as quickly.

Dickerson would never have gotten the 'value' he has now, because he'd be blocked not just in Pittsburgh, but in Indianapolis. The Padres also got extra value out of him by turning a guy that profiled as a pure 1B into an outfielder...but that would have never have happened in Pittsburgh because he isn't athletic enough to play in our outfield (save your snarky McCutchen comments, McCutchen was ungodly athletic when he came up). Any time you trade a prospect for a prospect you risk this happening...but who knows if Dickerson will even keep this up once a book is written about him.

And things change...at the time of the deal 4th outfielder was a far bigger near-future need than 1B.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I guess Bell's recent struggles aren't just in the field. Only hitting .230 since returned to Indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad