OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Tis the off season, Pirates are in port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Agreed with DJ…Varsho for Moreno + is good news for Buccos, if BR is actually moved…and I too think it’ll happen in the next week, given how much smoke there is and how fast things are moving. There was a lightly-sourced rumor today that Pirates are asking for Cortes from NYY. So I see a few scenarios I’d be for:

1) Volpe, Pereira, Warren/German/Gil + lotto
2) Cortes, Peraza, Pereira/Sweeney (similar 6-10), Beeter, + lotto

I don’t see Yankees giving both Volpe and Cortes in any deal, and frankly don’t think they’ll give Volpe and another org top 10, but wishful thinking above.

This is the Pittsburgh Pirates we're talking about. Not an actual real or smart organization.

To add on the Varsho-Reynolds discussion, I've seen a lot of people say Reynolds has a significant risk of not being viable defensively in CF, which I think is very valid. I think he'll likely be able to stick in CF in the short term, but players like him almost always end up in the corner outfield as they age. I think that is completely valid. The one thing I don't understand though is why Reynolds gets docked for his potential defensive regression risk going forward, but Varsho doesn't get docked for his potential offensive regression risk going forward.

Varsho is an above average hitter right now, he has a 107 OPS+ in the last 2 years. But that OPS+ is heavily driven by his power, because he's not a good hitter for average (.239 in the last 2 years) and he's not good at taking walks (50 walks per 600 PA). Reynolds has an OBP of .368 in the last 2 years, compared to .308 for Varsho. If Varsho's power decreases at all, he doesn't have any other tools at the plate to negate out those losses.

That's a good point re: Varsho vs. Reynolds. I also think it's just the case that Reynolds is completely viable in CF for the next 2-3 years when he's cost controlled, so it's mostly a concern in a prospective extension scenario.

I like the idea of getting Gil as a third player in a Yankees deal. The other Yankee who I like a lot is Spencer Jones, but my guess is that the Yankees might not want to put him in a deal that is also headlined by the players who need to headline.

Just focusing on Volpe vs. Dominguez+Peraza, there are some different possibilities there. Volpe is so appealing because of the premium bat, and whether he's moving off shortstop isn't a huge concern since Cruz needs at minimum a full year in MLB to further establish himself or show that it might not be viable full-time. The other package would give us a plus-glove immediate option in the middle infield along with the top OF prospect that we won't have until we hopefully draft Crew 1.1. I think there's a lot to like with both approaches, and despite the fact that either option is the right value for Reynolds, I do think it's an open question whether Cashman will do it. He just hasn't paid the prospect cost in big deals at all.

I think it's probably the biggest longshot, but my preferred option is a deal centered on Kirby. It would actually be interesting because although it would be a colossal blow to your lineup, you'd get back an impact pitcher and your rotation might actually become more of a weapon. DiPoto is the most unpredictable of anyone still for my money, so while I see all the reasons he wouldn't do it, he's the GM I almost expect to get in the mix, as he's been quiet outside of the Hernandez trade.

I definitely like the abstract possibilities out there, but I don't want to stray too far away from the reality that this move is happening because the owner (and perhaps GM, it's hard to say) doesn't want to make a relatively modest and low-risk investment in Reynolds. A trade that returns Kirby+ would be a lot easier to stomach as a trade that reshuffles the deck of young talent, because even these premium headliners we're all throwing around are still unproven. Look at how people talked about Kelenic prior to debuting vs. now for just one obvious and cliche example. If Cherington could both pull off a trade for Kirby+ and then get Cruz signed to an extension before the season, I'd be swinging back over to the side of more positivity towards the front office.

Not Pirates related but this just came out:

People dunked on the GIants for backing out of the Correa deal, but it looks like there are legitimate concerns with Correa's right ankle.

In more Pirates related news:

This hurts the "Varsho has more value than Reynolds because Varsho will stick in CF" claim.

Pirates signed Rich Hill

As you were

The Pirates and left-hander Rich Hill are in agreement on a one-year, $8MM deal, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN. The deal is pending a physical.

The Pirates signing Hill is bizarre because Hill has been a good middle rotation starter for a very long time, but he's so old that I fundamentally don't understand why he wanted to come here.

He had a 4.27 ERA with a 3.92 FIP in 26 starts last year, which are both pretty solid numbers. Now consider that the 4.27 ERA was his worst ERA since 2013? Yeah, the dude can pitch. The only question I have is why he'd want to sign here to be a #3 starter over being a #5 starter for a contender, but he is a very good starter.

Hard to complain much about adding an 8M pitcher as competent as Hill who really pushes guys like Wilson and Thompson away from the rotation (and Thompson still has 3 options left, so he'll definitely be ticketed as starter depth in AAA if that matters). I do have some scattered thoughts that are probably something like nitpicks:

1) Hill has never been the most durable pitcher, and innings stability is the biggest thing the rotation definitely needs IMO. If he can give you 160 (or the rough equivalent pace, assuming he's ticketed to be traded), that's perfectly workable, but there is a little bit of risk that he could be out of commission for a month or so early in the year.

2) Again with the one year deals, though obviously Hill is probably not getting 2-year deals anywhere. This is a bit of a separate issue, but I almost wonder if Reynolds' trade request threw a slight wrench into the plans. It's well within the realm of possibility that BC never intended to sign a multi-year guy, but the way things are shaping up right now has this season looking like a "let's improve while also having some veterans to trade off, our best player to sort out, and a lot of money coming off the books next winter".

3) I'm resigned to it, but a little bit worried/frustrated at how the rotation depth seems lined up to push Ortiz to AAA until Super Two clears for him. I'm sure there's an argument that with his lack of experience in the upper minors, the polish will be good for him, but based on stuff, he's a better option than Oviedo and certainly Velasquez, who it sounds like has a handshake deal to start here.

We'll see - I'm not too worried about depth questions because they have a way of working themselves out with pitchers. I do have to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just take some combination of these moves and invest the money into a mid-rotation workhorse type guy over 4 years. The payroll space should be there, or we're just joking around.

I'm open to the argument about flexibility and at the end of the day I guess there's no getting around the reality that we're a back-to-back 100 loss team who is chasing 75 wins as a start. There's only so much excitement that is possible in an offseason... finding some way to get back to the table with Reynolds, or full and completely pivoting to get Cruz signed long-term are about the only things that can do it. Otherwise, I am looking forward to a team that will be more watchable on paper, knowing that it will be frustrating if guys like Endy and Ortiz are held down in AAA. Flexibility should also give you the option of rewarding prospects with MLB playing time, and I don't think there's a better use of a "meh 75 win" season than starting to get some experience for guys who have to be big contributors ASAP.

Final thing is that I am pretty curious if we'll make one more somewhat notable position player signing. The OF is crowded, but Cutch still seems easily doable on a 1-2 year deal. Maybe a guy like Pollock has some upside left and will be looking at one year offers.

Oldest player in baseball. That’s an interesting signing, but I’ve always liked how he throws and we need starters.

Braves get another longer but not insanely long extension at a bargain price. No real comparison between Murphy and Reynolds beyond the years of control, but the Braves do manage to pull off these deals where the team control looms large to likely get a big discount. I think part of the generalized team collusion that happens is centered around this kind of thing. Maybe too quick to say, but I can't think of anyone in a similar boat as Reynolds who got the kind of extension that he's presumably seeking.

Every one I can think of either is for a much younger player and doesn't necessarily buy out their full FA years or it does buy them out at a much more modest price. In short, Reynolds at 6/85 or something like that is the "best" compromise possible under the current status quo. I don't want to retrace this old ground, but I am pretty curious if we'll ever get full reporting on what the offer actually was that ended negotiations. My sense is still that such a deal or similar is still a pretty good one from Reynolds' side... there's a fair bit of risk in not becoming a FA for 3 more years. If you assume that his 3 arb years are 30M, then 3/55M or so might be a conservative low bar for him, but if he has a bad injury or a couple mediocre power years, then it might not, especially if he doesn't run a high AVG/OBP consistently.

My gut feeling is still that the Pirates' last offer to him was in the ballpark of what I'm sketching out here, i.e., the relatively team friendly longer-term extension, but also included some kind of wrench that gave the Pirates more flexibility or advantage somehow. Something like this deal but with an additional team option for cheap tacked on, which might cut into the possibility of Reynolds nailing down another 30M+ on a final 2-3 year deal. I could be way off, but if it's just 6 years for 85-90M, then compromise reasons on both sides make that pretty viable. If you do something like add a 7th year at 12-15M or so, or the FA years aren't all guaranteed, then there's less reason for Reynolds to sign up.

One final scattered thought on this front is that Cherington doesn't really have any reason to be worried about the term for Reynolds. If he signs him for 8-9 years, he might not even be around in those final years, and so I think Reynolds ultimately has to be more of a Nutting thing. That said, given that Cherington's contract is up somewhat soon, I think it's in his interest to keep Reynolds around in order to guarantee as much improvement as possible in 2023. This might be a thing where ownership prerogative vs. GM in a bind really conflict and lead to a botched job on an important player, though this could also be a moot point if Cherington already has more or less a verbal agreement that he'll stay. He had full authority to do a teardown/tank job, and so despite the lack of demonstrative progress in MLB, I don't think his job will be in jeopardy. Maybe if the team loses close to 100 games again, it will be a different story, but regardless I think this still plays some role here (and also maybe with the preference for one year deals).

Also wanted to throw this up here. I think it's a nod in the right directly and without fully checking, Mackey's report from late in the season or early offseason about us spending 20-30M has turned out to be true. However, this is the kind of thing that I am pretty skeptical about because the Pirates completely punted on a pretty deep free agency market in order to prefer one year deals that should help them have a fighting chance to be more competent (a new projection dropped today or yesterday that has us 3rd in the NL Central, which I think is possible) but then have to reinvent the wheel next offseason.

Sure, it is nice to get some clearer nods about future spending, and I think Mackey is even-handed in terms of not just wildly speculating when it comes to specifics like this, but it's also still empty rhetoric. Weirdly, this now makes me basically want Cherington extended ASAP because otherwise, it might even be more empty. If the 2023 team underperforms badly and Cherington is fired, then the transition will end up giving more cover for the same old BS.

If we sign one more player, again without looking, I'm guessing that the payroll will be closer to the quasi-respectable range of 80-85M, so even though I find the lack of longer-term commitment to be frustrating, I'll pipe down and watch the games. But even with the recent news... I have nothing against going for Hill for one year and will truly be looking forward to watching him pitch. However, Boston just signed Kluber for one year and a club option, and that would have been a perfect kind of scenario for the Pirates to get some stability for their rotation in terms of innings. Maybe he doesn't want a team like the Pirates having a club option with him, but 2 guaranteed years is really low risk. I hope I will be eating crow about Velasquez, since it certainly seems like he'll have a strong chance to be in the rotation, but we pretty easily could have just not done that signing, still signed Hill, and then spent whatever it would have taken to also get Kluber.

A final random thought for a typical offseason triple post from me is that I wouldn't discount the Rangers as emerging in Reynolds talks. They've now signed Eovaldi, which gives them rotation depth like this: deGrom, Gray, Heaney, Perez, Odorizzi, Eovaldi, Dunning, and Otto/Ragans as further depth. That's a pretty deep group and although not all of them are locked up long-term, they clearly are in an aggressive, win-now mode.

They have a deep farm system that has the top echelon pitching talent in Leiter to headline a deal. Their outfield is weak and they don't really have much in the way of OF prospects, either. It might be the perfect sweet spot where they'd really want to be in on Reynolds and would consider the longer-term extension that Reynolds might sign as a bargain relative to what their payroll can be. A deal that was headlined by Leiter and Cole Winn would line up pretty well with injecting pitching into the system, and they have ample depth to add good third and fourth players to a deal.

The thing that makes me hesitate with Leiter a bit is that he was horrible in the minors last year. I think that is in large part due to the Rangers rushing him straight to AA, but it's still worth noting. He was walking way too many guys and hitting a batter about once every 11 innings, so he was definitely having control issues there. He was above a 5 for both FIP and ERA.

I am skeptical that Leiter is a legitimate 55 FV prospect with his walk and control issues (5.4 BB/9), Fangraphs currently has him at a 50 FV control. Bobby Miller is a 50 FV overall and only has a 45 FV control, despite him having pretty damn good walk numbers in the minors over his minor league career (2.7 BB/9).

I'm not scoffing at Leiter at all, I just think that he's not as good of a prospect as he's hyped up to be in some places. I think he's closer to a 50 FV prospect ranked around 40 than a 55 FV prospect ranked around 20.

Yeah, I agree that there are things not to like about Leiter's profile given the early issues, but without watching him at all I don't have much more to go on. For me, there are inherent risks to all pitching prospects, but I also get the desire and need to prioritize it potential deals. Getting both Leiter and Winn plus maybe someone like Josh Smith or Ezekiel Duran as immediate infield possibilities and a fourth depth piece further away spreads out some of the risk well enough, giving you a rotation candidate in pretty short order, and at least if things go well, an impact pitcher by 2024 or so, but ultimately I still prefer the position player prospects due to risk.

For me, I think the Yankees still offer the best possible options. I'd push for either Volpe + a number of players, including Cabrera or I'd push for Dominguez + Peraza and lesser additional pieces. You either end up with a really premium RH bat in Volpe or the OF prospect and plus middle infielder in Peraza. I can see how the fit isn't perfect, but these are potential impact guys at important positions who are also immediately ready or ready within the next 1.5 seasons. There are other viable packages from other teams, but the conjunction of the kind of talent they have plus the seeming mandate to have an impact offseason makes me the most hopeful about the Yankees.

At the end of the day, though, I think there's still the looming question of why we can't commit to Reynolds for the long haul. It's possible that a trade helps us more after the initial hit, but simply extending him "solves" a lot of the problems. If Cherington is potentially not going to be retained (which I think is a huge assumption, and I'd be skeptical -- the MLB product has been atrocious, but he got the green light to tear down and tank for multiple years, so I have to assume he'll at least get some security through 2025 or so), then you would think that however long Reynolds wants is not much of an issue to him and is being stopped completely by ownership.

And I still come back around to the cynical idea that you could extend him long-term and even then bail after 2026 or so, leaving another team on the hook for most of the actual money. If he performs, you might even get the kinds of packages that I bet are on the table right now anyways. The only way it even makes sense to think about trading him is for potential immediate impact prospects. I worry that he's being held onto in order to save face and salvage some of 2023 for Cherington's sake, but I do think that the price with an impact player at the front of the package is going to be met. There are just too many possible suitors still. If I had to guess, talks will heat up over the next few weeks and he'll be dealt by mid-January.

Wilson DFA'd to make room for Garcia.

Anything that leads to Wilson being DFA'ed is good with me.

Wilson was a real let down by the end, though I am not sure we were ever going to get much for Rodriguez anyways. It's extremely minor, but from a roster and depth chart standpoint, I think it makes sense to try and pass Wilson through waivers now instead of DFAing Swaggerty or someone else. I'd be floored if someone claimed Wilson, but he's not the worst player in the world to keep in the organization as emergency depth like 9th or so on the depth chart as a AAA starter.

One thing I don't really get is the current front office really souring on Swaggerty. He seems to have carrying skills in speed and defense that at least make him a viable 4th OF type. Again, this is extremely minor, but unless we make a meaningful addition to the position group, I hope Swaggerty will survive until spring training so that we can see what he does. I would even rather DFA Vilade ahead of him.

Based on how candid Cherington has been, I am sort of expecting at least one more minor addition. It seems like infield is what could be useful, but I can see it being an OF, doubly so if we will actually trade Reynolds. The depth isn't as certain as what you might want, but Bae and Castro can probably cover the 2B spot and backing up at SS and 3B. I've still got my fingers crossed for Cutch a bit.

I was on the Letter train for a bit in 2021 but then I started looking at some of those called third strikes with the fastball. A lot of the calls were absurd. Reputation calls. Safe to say with robot umps he will struggle.

You really believe Oviedo is ready? I don't. He needs to finish developing that 3rd pitch in the minors IMO.

You can't count on the control we saw his 1st couple starts. And his 100mph heat is too hittable without good location and an effective Change.

For me, the question is not so much who is definitely ready as it is that if a player has cleared a threshold to debut in MLB, they should have the opportunity to earn a spot based on performance in spring training and the general depth chart. Cherington has repeatedly staked out a position that AAA isn't a meaningful developmental league, so I'd just like to see it followed with some consistency.

To answer more directly, I am totally willing to accept the argument that Ortiz needs more time to polish his sequencing and expand his arsenal in AAA, but I don't think it's open and shut. He could probably benefit from MLB experience and the ability to interact with the veterans on the team, or even someone with a little bit more experience than him in Contreras. I also don't think there's a straight line between developing a pitch in AAA successfully and then coming back to MLB. The pitch still needs to be good enough to get MLB hitters out, and IMO he should be working on a pitch over the offseason so that the situation can be assessed in spring training.

That said, even if we just assume he'll go down to refine his approach for a bit, I have a hard time seeing it as a viable option until after Super Two, which I suspect might be the plan. There's probably a window of viability where they gain an extra year of control over the course of 6 weeks or so to start the season while they see what they have with Oviedo and/or Velasquez, but if they do a repeat of how they handled Contreras last year, it is going to be ridiculous.

I've been extremely vocal and annoying about how I don't think service time manipulation is actually worth it in most cases. I think the more obvious example of this right now given the current roster construction is Endy Rodriguez. There will be the excuse that he doesn't have a ton of time above A ball, but he crushed it last year and right now, there's an easy path to playing 5 times a week to start the season in MLB even if Hedges is catching 3/4ths of the games at first. If we add a viable starting option in the OF, then there's more cover to be worried about his playing time in addition to becoming a better catcher, but at the end of the day, I would just like to see a team try to win by playing its best players.

Just to expand a bit, I think the rotation is relatively locked down as we head into spring training, assuming no weird injuries:

1) Keller -- not a "#1 starter", obviously, but I'd give him the slight edge as someone who might still take further steps forward. One thing that will be interesting to watch with him are the rumors that he and Brubaker were available for the right price at last year's deadline. Keller might be a low-key smart extension candidate, since we are going to need pitching and he's only under team control through 2025. The time to gamble on that kind of extension is really this offseason, leveraging the control to get some cost certainty through the arbitration years and buy out maybe two years of free agency.

2) Hill -- don't think this is too complicated. We'll have to see how the order lines up, but I presume Keller and Hill will start Opening Day Road and Home in some capacity.

3) Contreras -- again, don't think it's too complicated, as he's obviously a lock. The main thing with him will be health and managing his innings somewhat, as he only had 130 last year. I can see them trying to push that up to 160 or so depending on how things are playing out, so he might be someone who actually gets slated as the "#5 starter" in the order to start the season, in order to possibly delay his start by a few weeks.

4) Brubaker -- same as above. I don't think he's as sure of a lock, but it would take surprising developments in spring training for a guy who threw 144 innings and put up a 2-win season to lose his spot. I've long gone back and forth on whether he's a rotation guy or better as a multi-inning weapon, but at this point I think he's been a starter for so long that trying to complicate things doesn't make sense

5) Oviedo or Velasquez -- the way the VV signing went down makes it seem like he has a handshake agreement to have a chance to start, so I think at minimum he will be able to earn this spot in spring training. Oviedo's stuff really popped in a couple of outings, so you have to think he's in the mix. I think both are probably locks to make the team and given their fastballs, the one who is more of a long reliever might make a ton of sense as a piggyback partner for Hill.

That leaves Ortiz pretty clearly on the outside looking in, and I think from a roster construction standpoint it's ok to have him back in AAA as the likely outcome of the spring. If he comes in with a new pitch that looks good, he should be able to play into the competition for the 5th spot, but as long as it isn't full blown "he's down until Super Two passes no matter what", I'm not going to be up in arms.

One of Oviedo or Velasquez is likely slated as the long-man, with Ortiz and then Thompson being in the AAA rotation as starters 6 and 7 on the depth chart. AAA shouldn't be so crowded, so Wilson likely figures there as 8th once he passes through waivers.

I think there's still room for a NRI to spring training that could also be in the mix for the 5th spot, especially if that player can also work as long relief. I'd be floored to see it happen, but signing Fujinami (to a real contract, he's not coming from Japan to be a NRI on the Pirates obviously) would be an interesting way to give yourself another option at 5th starter and a bullpen boost if not.

I can't find where Morosi actually said it, but apparently his speculation/reporting after the Blue Jays acquired Varsho is that the Mariners, Yankees, and Dodgers are the strongest candidates for Reynolds, with it being more promising for the Mariners. If you remember, he thought there could be a matchup for the Jays and Reynolds, which did make sense. Since I can't find where Morosi did say this, I am not sure if it's more informed speculation or an updated rumor, but it also seems relatively obvious that these three would be strong candidates to go for Reynolds.

Thought it was worth quickly tagging on in light of the rotation ramble I threw up yesterday. For the Mariners, I think any deal pretty much needs to include Kirby or Gilbert, and I would imagine that rightfully makes them buckle. I had been leaning more towards Kirby on the assumption that his ceiling might not quite be as high as Gilbert, but glancing through Mariners' fans posts almost gives the opposite suggestion, with the few I am seeing who are willing to entertain one of these two guys including Gilbert instead (maybe because Kirby is controllable for longer).

If we did get one of the Mariners starters, that immediately makes the rotation a lot more interesting with Brubaker pushed to 5th starter.

Any talk of the Dodgers has been speculation, but there are rarely rumors about them and I think they could really be the frontrunners. They have the ammo to have the impact pitching talent in a package which is also supplemented by good and immediately ready bats. If they would do Miller, Pages ++, I think that might be the best all-around type of thing, and the Pirates may even prefer that kind of package because you'd easily be able to keep the best two prospects in AA/AAA until Super Two clears this year, as they are more in line with Endy/Davis than obvious immediate candidates (even if these players could theoretically make a team out of spring training).

The Yankees situation is a bit peculiar with the lack of SP headliners. I don't even regard the idea of Nestor Cortes as worth thinking about, because I don't get why they'd deal him. The latest from Heyman suggests that they want to avoid going into the next luxury tax bracket, which they are currently 3M away from. Maybe there's the possibility of taking Hicks and his contract back in a deal, and thereby getting the true top flight talent as a headliner (I think Volpe is probably better than any other single player who could be acquired, with the exception of Kirby/Gilbert), but that's really a stretch to me.

Finally, in light of the Hill signing, if the Marlins would move both Cabrera and Rogers, then our SP suddenly becomes a deep group. I think it would be surprising to see Brubaker on the outside looking in, but acquiring both of these guys might set up a scenario where Brubaker goes to the pen where his stuff plays up and he and/or Keller are potential trade chips at the deadline for a big haul. I think this makes a matchup with the Marlins overly complicated, as the Pirates need to improve their roster so much that multiple big deals involving some of the only important younger guys they have seems like a bit much... in other words, if you are already going to trade Reynolds, it will be hard enough to get to that 75-win plateau or whatever. Cabrera+Rogers would help you a lot, but then subtracting Keller might be risky for the 2024 team.

tldr; is that I think the Dodgers are now best poised to make a deal happen. What worries me is if they are willing to trade Miller given all of his hype, that's a bit of a yellow flag. Especially with Buehler's future a question mark, it would make sense to hang onto Miller for now. It's not like they desperately need Reynolds right away. The only potential caveat that might make them care less is if they are absolutely going to top whatever anyone else will do for Ohtani next winter, in which case getting Reynolds and his cost-controlled years might be very appealing.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't trust Bowden too much. If he's right that the Yankees are basically dead set on not trading either Volpe or Peraza, then I doubt whether they really have the chips to make the trade. Warren is definitely an interesting arm, but Pereira, Warren, and Schmidt is laughably bad (almost as bad as the proposed Red Sex trade of Bednar+Peguero for Mayer+Houck+Rafaela, which the Red Sox would laugh at). If we considered Dominguez a 55FV for the sake of argument, I think you still need 2-3 good pieces surrounding him, and I'd insist on Oswaldo Cabrera as the second piece along with maybe Warren and one other arm.

That wouldn't be an awful return, but it's the type of trade I might want to wait until the deadline to really consider. It's premium front line player in a deal or bust for me right now, and I think Volpe is the only one who fits the bill from NYY.

The x-factor in some of this right now might be how pitching prospects are valued across MLB teams. There's the longstanding and I think true idea that there really is no such thing as a pitching prospect, but also when you look at how free agency tends to play out, I'd bet the possible impact pitching prospects are really hard to pry away from teams. That's how I'd situate Bowden's comment about TInk Hence, who is definitely very good, though also Bowden might just be completely talking out of his ass.

For my money, the biggest wish/hope if a deal is to happen is still the Mariners. Reynolds would change the nature of their lineup and turn them into an even bigger threat in the division, but if they were to meet the supposed rumor and headline a deal with Kirby, then obviously that's an important player on their 2023 roster. That said, they still have very strong pitching depth. I'm not sure I really like the idea of combining Reynolds and Bednar together in a deal, but I would be tempted to pull the trigger if that's the return that could get DiPoto to budge on Kirby.

I think the other x-factor is how secure Cherington's job is. If his job is secure, then if the ownership is not going to pony up to sign Reynolds for 7+ years, he should aggressively be trying to secure the best package with close to ready talent that allows for a quick reset. If his job isn't secure, then I don't really think any speculation matters that much because trading Reynolds is the quickest way to undermine whatever progress the 2023 team would have shown (though in theory, if you did get Kirby, that's at least something that adds definite impact in a key position).

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Newest from Mackey, which contains the strongest worded stuff I've seen about Reynolds from him or anyone else.

It’s hard to project timing on these things, but in talking to folks, here are two conclusions I feel comfortable drawing:

1. Reynolds will be traded ... and probably before the 2023 season is finished.

2. The majority of people I’ve spoken with would be surprised if he winds up playing at all for the Pirates in 2023.

That's not too shocking, but it's clearer than I've seen from anyone else. This is a little bit more interesting:

The disconnect, honestly, is the composition of a potential extension. The two sides aren’t close. The Pirates offered more money than Ke’Bryan Hayes (though fewer years), yet it’s roughly $50 million below what Reynolds wants.

Can’t begrudge Reynolds. That’s the market. He’s earned it. I do see why that potential deal (which is longer) doesn’t work for the Pirates. Think about it this way: Would you rather the Pirates spend $60-$70 million on two players on potentially shorter deals, or wind up with one for longer?

Setting aside the obvious questions most of us would have about whether or not the Pirates would indeed sign not just one but two players to the biggest FA contracts in team history (I'll believe it when I actually see it), this seems to all but confirm the speculation a lot of us have had that the offer was something like 5 or 6 years at Hayes' money, which buys out a few FA years and pays decently well for the arbitration years.

If this is the case, I still don't really get why they can't just add 2/50 to the end of the deal and get him signed, even if they fully intend to move him in 3-4 years. It's not like that contract has a high chance of becoming an albatross, as even a worst case scenario would mean he could be dumped. Unless he just turns into a pumpkin overnight, the worst case scenario is that he's an above average corner OF who does a lot well and is a bit prone to streakiness.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the question is the term. Hayes got 70M. The rest of Reynolds' arbitration is 30, maybe 35M if you want to be generous, and perhaps 40M if the team wanted to spread some prospective dollars out and front load a bit.

If you add a roughly market rate of 20M per FA year, then that gets you something like 5/75 or 5/80. At 5 years, there's just no way that a 50M gap could exist, because Reynolds' arbitration years put a fairly clear ceiling on what that kind of deal could be.

Once you get to 6+ years, you are talking about a deal that takes him through the age 33 season. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Pirates offer might be something like 6/85 or even 6/80. I still don't think that accounts for the reported money gap, but it's closer. The earlier reports all suggested that it was term that was the sticking point, so based on this newest bit of information, I suspect it's a combo. In the end, Reynolds' age makes him a weirder extension case than some. He could sign a 5 year deal and get the guaranteed money and likely another big payday, but it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Something like 7/125 represents both a slight discount and a lot of guaranteed cash. That's 3/40 for the arbitration and then something like 20, 20, 20, 25 for the FA years. I.e. a bit of a raise over the normal arbitration estimate and a bit of a team shave for the FA years. I don't really think we have any reason to assume that any money at all will be invested back into the team, so even though I think there's room for debate about just how valuable Reynolds is, it's not a box I want to open again. If you just assume he's a 2.5/3 win player, then he'd still make market rate in those FA years.

Anyways, it's all well trodden ground at this point. I think most agree that we need to see some decisive action, but it's hard to get a precise read as we enter the new year. The next two weeks or so should clear things up a bit... IMO the Yankees would still very much like to make a big splash, and the Dodgers have been awfully quiet for the most part.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Imagine experiencing an off-season where Brandon Nimmo got $162 million and saying that Reynolds asking for probably around $125 million is “way too much money.” Nutting loves the fact Pirates fans feel this way.
Nimmo is a free agent and Reyynolds has 3 arb years. Its a completely different scenario.

Still believe its a fair ask, just a complete false equivalency.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The longer I chew on the 50M figure, the more I think it makes sense that 5 years would basically be pointless and a gap might exist between 6 and 7 years in terms of team vs. player. If the years are the same, it's hard to see how Hayes' dollar figure is topped and the gap is that sizable.

If 6/125 or 7/150 so is "too much", then the only Pirate-friendly way to interpret that is that the FO thinks 2021 was a huge peak and Reynolds is much more of a 3+ win player who won't ever get close to that again. That might be a reasonable assessment of him, I honestly go back and forth. But even at that price, getting that kind of player who does a bit of everything and likely won't have a steep age curve really positions you well to navigate out of rebuild mode. All you would need to really "hit" in terms of value is for him to have one or two 4-5 win seasons in 2024-2026 -- depending on what else happens, in that case we're talking about a possible deep playoff run.

At the end of the day, I am skeptical that the front office had too much of a say here. It's Nutting who has never proven he'll spend in this manner. And we should be crystal clear that this manner is a sustainable output on par with a team like the Brewers as opposed to being stripped to nuts and bolts after a season or two.

There's a little bit of possible calculation involved by a potential FO who has a green lit budget (and in fairness I guess, it has creeped up to 85M), but unless Cherington still has 2 more guaranteed years basically, he needs to demonstrate results ASAP, so I doubt he'd have a problem signing Reynolds to a market value but slightly team friendly extension.

I'm hoping for the long shot at this point that Seattle will budge on moving Kirby, and we can hit on Kelenic or something. Failing that, I'd be happy just getting a deal from the Dodgers headlined by Miller.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Nimmo is a free agent and Reyynolds has 3 arb years. Its a completely different scenario.

Still believe its a fair ask, just a complete false equivalency.
The situations aren't the same, but it's hardly a false equivalency. If you'd be buying out 4-5 years of Reynolds post-FA and getting 3 arb years, that's going to cost waaaaay more than $125M on the open market given where salaries are. The idea that this is not only not fair but is a gross overask as was suggested is just weird.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I agree that 125 million is completely reasonable in the current market. BUT:

The comp to Nimmo is what you based your comparison on. Which is a completely different scenario to the point where the comparison is basically worthless.
The situations aren't the same, but it's hardly a false equivalency. If you'd be buying out 4-5 years of Reynolds post-FA and getting 3 arb years, that's going to cost waaaaay more than $125M on the open market given where salaries are. The idea that this is not only not fair but is a gross overask as was suggested is just weird

Reactions: Empoleon8771

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I agree that 125 million is completely reasonable in the current market. BUT:

The comp to Nimmo is what you based your comparison on. Which is a completely different scenario to the point where the comparison is basically worthless.

No, it's not. Nimmo's contract reflects where the market is, and the market in 2022/2023 is that a good but not star OF got $20M a year with term. Yes, the years of control affect value, but then again, by the time he's eligible for free agency that $20M is probably going to $25M+. The real point I was making, and you seem to know this and agree with it but want to argue anyway, is that if Reynolds was asking for something like 7/$125M, that's in no way asking for "way too much money."

Reactions: ChaosAgent

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the other wrinkle that is probably in this concerns the Pirates preference for team options and possible buyouts. Even Hayes' deal has this on the end of it, and Hayes' deal is about as safe as they come in terms of value.

If the Pirates are willing to do something like a 6 year deal that's lower than what Reynolds would want, and also includes an option year or two along with buyouts, then it becomes much easier to see how big of a gap could exist. For example, if Reynolds (rightly) wants 8 guaranteed years and the Pirates are doing 6 and 2 option years, then at a certain point it becomes a losing gamble to not just bet on himself and go to free agency.

I still have a hard time not seeing how a cynical, guaranteed extension for 8 years or so couldn't be an option for them. If the current offer is 6/90 and Reynolds wants 25M for the final two years for 8/140, then it should be viable to ride out the first 4+ years of that contract and never pay a big chunk of the 140M anyways.

Easier said than done, but unless Reynolds' performance absolutely falls off a cliff, he'd be an early 30s switch-hitting OF with an all around game who makes around market value or even a bit less. You take your shots in 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, and perhaps 2027, and during that 2027 season consider dealing someone making a 20M salary who is owed 3/75 or so afterwards. It's not a situation where you'd get any kind of haul for him, but he would certainly be movable for something and you'd end up paying less than half of the actual total money.

In any case, I haven't seen anything specific to lead to that guess about option years and buyouts, but it's totally the Pirates MO and I think helps explain how a 50M gap could exist that can't really be negotiated much further. As ever, I think the Pirates either have to suck it up and get something done, or they have to find a way to get immediate impact talent in a return for him.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Imagine experiencing an off-season where Brandon Nimmo got $162 million and saying that Reynolds asking for probably around $125 million is “way too much money.” Nutting loves the fact Pirates fans feel this way.
Just think about the player they will sign with the money they save on trading Reynolds. I mean $125 million gives them the ability to sign so many reclamation projects and cheap vets man

Reactions: domaug

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Just think about the player they will sign with the money they save on trading Reynolds. I mean $125 million gives them the ability to sign so many reclamation projects and cheap vets man

Don't forget 43yr old players either.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
No, it's not. Nimmo's contract reflects where the market is, and the market in 2022/2023 is that a good but not star OF got $20M a year with term. Yes, the years of control affect value, but then again, by the time he's eligible for free agency that $20M is probably going to $25M+. The real point I was making, and you seem to know this and agree with it but want to argue anyway, is that if Reynolds was asking for something like 7/$125M, that's in no way asking for "way too much money."

Nimmos situation is completely different and thats where any comparison breaks down.

The end result is completely reasonable (125 mil over 7) but comparing 3 arb years and 4 FA years to 8 FA years is incompatible and silly. Especially when this year is locked in at a team friendly 6.75 as the starting point. Not to mention its a single bidder environment.

Theyre just completely different situations.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ignoring arb years and acting like all that matters is how similar 2 players are just shows how uninformed someone is.

I think 6x105 or 7x125 are both entirely reasonable contracts considering Reynolds' ability and his remaining arbitration years. But for a $50 million gap to exist with that, that would require the Pirates to be offering like $75 million or less to Reynolds, which seems very unlikely to me. Mackey said the Pirates made a good faith offer to Reynolds, so I find it extremely unlikely that they were offering so little for Reynolds and Reynolds just wanted a fair deal. The only way the $50 million gap makes sense is either Reynolds is asking for too much a year or the Pirates and Reynolds are off by multiple years on the length of the contract. It's probably the latter if I had to guess, the Pirates are probably offering something like 5x90 while Reynolds wants 7x140.

I also have major questions if any team would actually give Reynolds the "fair" extension he wants right now, if he actually wants 7x125 right now. A huge chunk of his value comes from his ability to play CF, and he had a downright horrendous season defensively in CF last year. Him sticking in CF or not is the difference between him getting a Nimmo contract or a Benintendi contract. To add, people fairly bring up the Nimmo contract, but Nimmo had a 5 WAR season last year and hasn't shown the massive question marks Reynolds has shown both offensively (terrible 2020 season) and defensively (terrible 2022 season). Why would a team give Reynolds a contract with Nimmo-like UFA years value when he's coming off a year where he just didn't perform to that level?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Message boards are a wonderful thing sometimes. Literally I've said 4 times that I referenced the Nimmo contract as an example of the marketplace in 2022 and literally I've said 4 times that I know that Reynolds and Nimmo aren't in the same position and yet two people continue to argue a point that no one is making. It's particularly ironic since both people who are so vehement in arguing actually seem to agree with the point that a 7/$125M type of demand is, in fact, not "way too much money" but ok, I'm the one who is uninformed. Man do people like to argue just to argue.

I honestly hope that Reynolds gets traded soon and extended immediately thereafter.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Message boards are a wonderful thing sometimes. Literally I've said 4 times that I referenced the Nimmo contract as an example of the marketplace in 2022 and literally I've said 4 times that I know that Reynolds and Nimmo aren't in the same position and yet two people continue to argue a point that no one is making. It's particularly ironic since both people who are so vehement in arguing actually seem to agree with the point that a 7/$125M type of demand is, in fact, not "way too much money" but ok, I'm the one who is uninformed. Man do people like to argue just to argue.

I honestly hope that Reynolds gets traded soon and extended immediately thereafter.
Your example is useless. Thats whats being argued. Its just completely useless.

Instead of admitting it, you’d rather have a passive aggressive pissy fit about.

4+4=8

So does

X = 32/4^2+(cosine 45 degrees)+5.2929

Are these a good comparison?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I was right regarding Reynolds. I was right about him not extending here (been saying it for TWO years, mainly due to Boras/Nutting). I was right about the monies/term/AAV of the contract needed to lock him up and I'll be right in regards to a middling return. Teams are simply waiting BC out until he caves w/a Cole like return. Book it.

MLB is broken. Pittsburgh, under Nutting and the current structure will never be able to afford a Devers like contract.

This is a well organized crime syndicate and the Pirates are simply not a made family member.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

That's a decent price on Miley. He's had some health issues, but he still looked like his older self a bit last year, and so I wouldn't be too surprised if he had a modest bounceback. I would have taken that to further bolster the rotation options and let Oviedo and Velasquez be more swingman types. You can't truly have two permanent piggyback setups but in this hypothetical scenario both would match well to follow or precede Hill and Miley.

In terms of acquisitions, I think we could still use a reliever, but I'd really like to pluck Mancini. Playing time might not be completely obvious on paper, but if he's going to come at a relatively decent price, it would really solidify the weakness vs. LHP. Getting him for 2 years and then letting the playing time work itself out would be a decent late savvy move. You'd create competition among the young players and Andujar for OF playing time and you'd also have a fallback option at 1B lined up in advance for next year.

Getting too ahead of myself, but besides the general annoyance at a lack of commitment, I don't like the one year deals because next year's FA class is really bad. Adding Mancini right now would practically make for platoons at all of LF, RF, 1B, and DH, but that's really not the worst outcome, and I bet he'd be handy to have. It seems like the market really thinks 2019 was an outlier for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad