OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Spring Training! Spring Training!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
If Brault can have a good ST then he should have the inside track for the #5. The starting rotation really could use a lefty. Its too RH top heavy. Its not a priority of course but it would at least make the other club have to adjust their lineup once in awhile.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The Orioles have never been a team to really emphasize defense...but this is just patently absurd. Taking an immobile third baseman with zero accuracy and put him in the outfield...best case scenario he's still turning singles into doubles with his lack of mobility, worst case scenario he's throwing the ball into the dugout half of the time.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Upshot to the whole outfield being in the WBC is that Meadows should get tons of spring training playing time. He's already hit a double today.

Frazier is also going to make it hard to cut him, so maybe Osuna will end up being the odd man out until a spot opens up. Frazier has seen 18 pitches today in two at-bats, and doubled in a pair just now. Though I guess there is potentially room on the roster for both of them if we assume that Kang being on the restricted list means that his road back to MLB will be a bit slow (i.e., he won't start the season in MLB because he will need to do his own spring training after he gets the visa).

Last edited by a moderator:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
The Orioles have never been a team to really emphasize defense...but this is just patently absurd. Taking an immobile third baseman with zero accuracy and put him in the outfield...best case scenario he's still turning singles into doubles with his lack of mobility, worst case scenario he's throwing the ball into the dugout half of the time.

Yup it makes no sense. Of all teams to take him initially and then bring him back, it's the Orioles who already have Davis and Trumbo pretty much forcing Pedro onto the field defensively. And they are forced make it even worse at a new position with Machado at 3B already.

That team is lucky they happen to have Machado and Hardy on the left side of the infield so they at least have defense from somewhere because they obviously have no interest in doing anything to improve it anywhere else.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Upshot to the whole outfield being in the WBC is that Meadows should get tons of spring training playing time. He's already hit a double today.

Frazier is also going to make it hard to cut him, so maybe Osuna will end up being the odd man out until a spot opens up. Frazier has seen 18 pitches today in two at-bats, and doubled in a pair just now. Though I guess there is potentially room on the roster for both of them if we assume that Kang being on the restricted list means that his road back to MLB will be a bit slow (i.e., he won't start the season in MLB because he will need to do his own spring training after he gets the visa).

I think both will make the opening day roster as of now, but still a ways to go and time to see both how they play as well as how the rest of the roster comes together.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Ryan Vogelsong sighting! He shut down the Buccos for a couple innings for the Twins today, but we got to him in the 3rd. Can't get shut down by Vogelsong even in the pre-season, it's too deflating.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Nice age difference on the mound today with Colon vs Glasnow :laugh:

Not watching, but Glasnow through 2 innings has allowed just a single and no walks with one strikeout. Buccos all over Colon with 9 baserunners and 4 runs through 2. Frazier, Gosselin, and Meadows have all reached based in both PA so far at the top of the order. Frazier and Osuno both keep going back and forth with productive games. I already had both making the opening day roster and only looks more that way right now, particularly with the availability of Kang in question.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

Yup, Glasnow fell apart in the 3rd unfortunately.

Gave up a single, then got 2 outs, then unraveled by issuing a walk and then 4 straight singles before being pulled. Ugly 3rd inning with 6 base runners, albeit only 1 BB and no XBH at least.

Finished with a line of 2.2 IP, 6 singles, 1 walk, 5 earned runs, 1 strikeout against not a great lineup but regular starters in the meat of the order with Phillips, Markakis, Kemp.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I was listening, but missed the leadup to the collapse because I had to run a quick errand. I tuned in just before he made things worse, and it sounded like there was some kind of mishap with a pickoff play, then two sort of fluky singles.

Still, very clear pattern of having some troubles staying composed and focused when difficulties flare up. This is not at all surprising for a young pitcher in general, especially one with a revamped delivery and entirely new pitch. I'm not concerned at all yet (that really needs to be bracketed until July/August at the absolute earliest), but it's definitely the case that he should start in AAA. Had he finished out his innings today relatively smoothly, I think he would have been back in the ambivalent status of maybe winning the #5 job, but even that would be a bit iffy.

Two real trouble spots/"collapses" in a row indicate that he should under no conditions be starting in MLB, especially when the #5 spot isn't even getting regular rotation initially, in all likelihood. He should go to AAA, work on mechanics and the walk rate, and then we'll re-assess.

The big rotation question to me now is clearly whether Brault makes his case to start in the rotation, which is coupled with 1) how Hutchison compares in general, and 2) the approach we will take to Hutchison overall. If we want to try him as a swing/long man, then it's conceivable that he could just be in that role out of camp, with Brault possibly starting in AAA and then being called up when the #5 starter is a permanent need. Conversely, if it's feasible that Hutchison could start based on his spring training performance, he could make the rotation as the swingman and slot into the #5 starter role when it's needed, and be in the rotation eventually on an earn-your-next-start basis.

If all things remain equal, and both Brault and Hutchison are giving fairly quality outings, I think the latter possibility is the most likely. I have no confidence in Hutchison in the long haul at all, but if he's solid enough in spring training, it makes some roster sense to start him out, and as long as the hook will be quick and this isn't some full month-long trial, I don't think it will hurt to see what he does as the #5 spot. In fact, it's reasonable to think that the competition will push him to do as well as possible, and also have a very ready replacement in Brault, assuming he can really be lights out in Indianapolis.

Hutchison as the initial swingman also makes sense in terms of taking an extra bench bat initially. I don't see it making a ton of sense that both Hutchison as swingman and Brault as #5 starter will make the team, but I suppose it would be possible if both would kind of get trial on the job type showcases, with the other being there as a piggyback option. Still, I think the best move is to identify whether Brault should start in the rotation or not, as well as what to do with Hutchison in the most general sense.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Yeah I came in expecting Glasnow to start in AAA even if he hopefully earns his way back up soon and that seems like a near certainty as we go forward, but it is also way too early to be overly concerned.

On a positive note, the top 3 guys in the lineup reached based 10 times in 12 PA in fighting for roster spots in (Frazier 4/4, Gosselin 3/4, Meadows 1/2 w/ 2BBs)

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, it's good to see some continued success there.

I am out of the habit of following blogs, since RTJR doesn't do much in the offseason, and whygavs is maybe done for good (?). I've been following the Rumbunter guys, but they really hammer away at certain positions that they have, almost relentlessly. Maybe the problem is more that I just typically agree with everything Pat Lackey says, but the Rumbunter guys seem to have a real hate-on for Frazier for instance, tweeting out his spring training BABIP as if it decisively proves something.

Frazier is set to be a useful utility player, and I think should fare better with the glove this year than last. He doesn't have a power tool, but everything else is basically there -- in fact, I think if you are positive enough on him, it's possible that he could displace J-Hay as an everyday second baseman, which may be one reason were were/are looking to move his contract. I'm not quite that high on Frazier yet, but he's certainly a useful guy to have around as a utility player, and extremely cheap.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd give Harrison one more look as the everyday 2B, but other than his MVP-caliber season, he hasn't been very good. So if he doesn't play well, I'd be quickly giving Frazier more starts at 2B and making Harrison the utility guy again.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Yeah, Harrison is certainly in the mix and probably gets first crack, but it shouldn't be a given and not even a particularly long leash if he isn't giving us any more than the last couple seasons. Let him play a utility role and fight for and earn his opportunities similar to the year that he really broke out and was an impact player.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I get what you're saying, and partly agree with it, but I'd be more comfortable referring to Harrison's 2014 season an All-Star season, not an MVP caliber season.

I'm not sure who you are replying to, but I agree. He was a legitimate All-Star and he did finished 9th in MVP voting, but he was never actually at the level of being a legitimate MVP candidate either on the field or in the voting.

Edit: I see it in pistols post now, but even in that case he wasn't really overly giving him credit for it. In the end, he was top 10 in MVP voting, so that is a fact, but I doubt many people consider it a true MVP-level season. But I see what you were saying now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad