OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Polanco POLANCOOOOOOOOO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

Wow, only caught the box score, but this game looks pretty brutal. What is the deal with Wilson this year? I expected a decline from Grilli, but Wilson has not been good this year.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Polanco is the quickest player in the modern era to get five hits and a HR in one game.

Obviously, that's what Grilli knew, while the rest of us were just sitting on our hands in anger and disappointment over an absolutely crucial mid-June game. I expect some more details in his next book.

Seriously, though, Polanco might be about to go full-Puig, which, when coupled with Cutch's insane-and-somehow-still-a-bit-under-the-radar current performance, might end up catapulting us in the standings over the next few weeks. With the starting pitching as it is, I definitely don't want to put the cart before the horse here, but things are looking exciting.

Another nice note is Locke's game right now. Control has always been the hugest issue for him, and what stands between at least him being a solid innings-eater type and a minor leaguer. Even if the good Locke, striking out guys etc., goes away, if we can get the 6 or 7 innings handful of runs on most nights guy, that would be a huge boost.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Another good thing from tonight: Kingham was lights out in his AAA debut. Since he's more of a middle of the rotation guy, it will be interesting to see how ends up this year. Smart money is playing most of the season in AAA with a September callup. I don't know whether he is on the 40-man roster, so this is all basically talking out of my ass, but given the way we've had to tap into depth, we might end up needing to rush him a little bit, especially if any of Locke, Cumpton, Worley or Volquez (or hell, Morton) totally flake out, assuming Liriano is out for a month plus.

Worley is obviously the biggest question mark of those guys, and with Cole back relatively soon, this shouldn't be too much of an issue. But if there's another injury in the rotation, or a disaster scenario with Cole, we might be looking at a Kingham debut sooner rather than later.

For now, though, nice to see him start out well in AAA.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Kingham is not on the 40-man roster, but he'll have to be added once the season ends anyway so I'd expect him to get a September call-up if he performs well. We have an empty spot (or two...I think it's just one since Martinez needed to be added) and a couple pitchers that have no shot of playing in Pittsburgh as easy DFA options (Obispo & Wall were acquired because of what the call-ups have done to Indy's pitching staff).

Locke does look promising right now. If he just keeps things simple there's no reason why he can't be a solid #5.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Cutch has been dubbed our worst defensive outfielder now and if last night is any indication, he'll be our worst offensive outfield as well. What a game by Marte and Polanco.

BqD--cpCMAAA_Aw.jpg

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah there is no way in hell Marte becomes a better all around hitter than Cutch. Andrew has to be pushing a .450 OBP right now (without looking up stats). That is something Marte will probably never be better than below average at. Marte is also very idiotic on the bases.
Polanco is just so calm and smooth at the dish. 4th big league game and he takes a Lefty deep with a 400+ foot shot to win the game? Yes, more please. It's way early but this is the guy we need to throw huge money down on. His inside out swings the first 2 at bats are incredibly rare to see from any 22 year old, let alone the Dominican variety. The scary thing is the power should come over the next few seasons to coincide with his high average.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
Cutch has been dubbed our worst defensive outfielder now and if last night is any indication, he'll be our worst offensive outfield as well. What a game by Marte and Polanco.

BqD--cpCMAAA_Aw.jpg

His agent should be quickly contacting Dubble Bubble for an endorsement deal! Hahaha

And we'll the Pirates do like to hit their Dubbles.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
FYI: My comment about Cutch being our worst offensive outfielder was done tongue in cheek. Cutch is too smart to be outplayed by Marte over the course of a season. Fluky games like last night are not the norm and I know that.

redmosquito

Jun 9, 2013
NC/ME
Read on ESPN that the Cubs are shopping Samardzija and Jason Hammel. Any chance the Pirates are in on either one? Starting pitching could use some help and would love to see Samardzija in Pittsburgh, even though I don't think we have/are willing to give up the pieces to get him.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Samardzija will cost four arms and three legs, we won't be in on him. Hammel is on a one-year deal, so that's a possibility...though they're selling high on him. Hammel is having a career year on a very reasonable one-year deal.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We will need at least one upgrade in the rotation moving forward. I wouldn't pay the price it would cost to get Samardzija. Being in the same division probably doesnt help our chances either. Tim Williams wrote a nice piece on why Josh Bell is moveable and should have a lot of value which I agree with on both accounts. Given our long term OF is set already and the fact we also have Austin Meadows, i think Bell makes for a nice trade piece that really doesn't affect the overall strength of our prospect pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad