OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: New season of plundering begins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Williams has been bad for the Pirates considering his role, especially with him hitting pretty well to start the year. But if he's (or his role) is going to be starting regularly, I think Peguero should be up over him.

It's not a huge issue though, Alika has a slash line of .294/.333/.412 right now so he's hitting pretty well. I just don't think it lasts for that long.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I feel like I have untreated trauma from first innings because if it's tied 0-0 after 1, I always feel like a good thing has happened.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The one positive is that we've executed the Haines special of working the opposing pitcher a ton, and there might be a fighting chance to knock him out in the sixth.

The bad thing is that it's really hard to square Quintana up, and we are experts at wasting opportunities when all we need to strike is a single. I wish we would be a little more aggressive on swings when we are way ahead in the count. It's good to run the pitcher's pitch count up but it basically doesn't matter if he's going 5-6 scoreless.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I think quintana might be done already, 93 pitches and they pulled him

That could be very good. Team has been pretty good at making the opponent throw a lot

Hell, even the swinging strikes are at least 3 pitches instead of first pitch pop outs

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
This seems like a game we have to win 1-0, and I have no confidence we can win a game 1-0. I hope I am wrong.

Ortiz coming in for Jones after 5 pristine innings.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually agree with taking out Jones and having a quick hook with him. He's prone to giving up HRs and pitchers with stuff like his (aka mainly 2 pitch pitcher) tend to do substantially worse the third time through the lineup.

I might have given him Bader and Narvaez to start this inning, but I really wouldn't want to risk Jones going up against Nimmo.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't like it. He was absolutely all over them. I am not too convinced that moderating pitch counts down to really low numbers is something that gives more durability, but it's hard to really follow all of the trends on that front. From the perspective of simply trying to save more innings for later in the summer, I can stomach the shorter outings.

I have an inkling that part of it might be an opportunity to see if Ortiz can give you three innings here out of the pen, perhaps with an eye to him filling Gonzales' spot. But based on what they are saying, this is a planned short outing, so that may have nothing to do with it.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Zero focus. Zero fundamentals. Bryan reynolds forgot how many outs there were. It’s f***ing coaching. It’s a problem an we’re wasting talent by sticking with this crew.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do think Shelton generally makes good bullpen decisions, but his reliance on Hernandez in high leverage situations is something that just doesn't make sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad