OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Jordy Mercer Isn't Completely Useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Ugghhhh....CuBs with a 4 spot on Angels in the 3rd, still batting. That lineup is tough.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Chip Hale is going to ritually decapitate some reporter after this Dbacks-Rockies game.

Would be nice to see the Cubs lose, but in fairness, the Angels are pretty much just Mike Trout plus a bunch of garbage players.

It would be very sweet to take the sweep tomorrow and at least begin on a dominant note vs the Cardinals. Their offense looks pretty lackluster, but it should be more fluid vs RHP. Mike Leake is an eminently hittable pitcher who we never seem to hit, but the offense seems pretty keyed in, except Marte.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Jordy Mercer is doing everything in his power to make me not hate him. I guess I'll just need to add more hate to Locke :laugh:

There is absolutely nothing to hate about Mercer. He is a solid MLB player. Can you upgrade?? Sure. But you can't have an all star at every position. And he was a major upgrade over the Barmes.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
There is absolutely nothing to hate about Mercer. He is a solid MLB player. Can you upgrade?? Sure. But you can't have an all star at every position. And he was a major upgrade over the Barmes.

Quoted for truth..... if we end up with Mercer as the top infield backup when Kang gets healthy, we are in great shape

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I'll take the win but pretty frustrating mistakes in that game. The one that bothers me the most is still sending Cutch home with no outs AND the runner not advancing to second on that throw. That whole play screams amateur baseball.

Luckily the Cards made some HUGE mistakes like that botched double play and pop up bunt in extras. It seems like the Cards always get the breaks so it's not to steal this one.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I woke up to a text from a friend this morning complaining about Serpico already. Yinzers are already in midseason form.

I was happy with Neise's start last night. Nothing fancy, but effective. Certainly hurt some by a lot of defensive miscues. But in term of pitching, everything looked fine. My only observation, and it's only 1 start so it could just be some preseason rust hanging around, but he could stand to tighten up his misses out of the zone. A lot of the balls I saw where Cervelli set-up on the edge of the zone missed by enough to not entice the hitters. Tighten that up a bit to get some swing and missed and/or some weak contact and I don't see much to complain about from Neise.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I agree 100%.

I'll take the win but pretty frustrating mistakes in that game. The one that bothers me the most is still sending Cutch home with no outs AND the runner not advancing to second on that throw. That whole play screams amateur baseball.

That one pissed me off...there's nothing I can't stand more than making the first out on the base paths. To be fair to Sofield on that one, though, I don't think Cutch looked at him once. He was going home from the second he saw the ball leave the bat, and that's on him for being over-aggressive. It required a perfect throw to get him, but Piscotty is the one Cardinals outfielder capable of just that.

I woke up to a text from a friend this morning complaining about Serpico already. Yinzers are already in midseason form.

:laugh:

I love how people can honestly expect the bench to be that deep, especially with a starter on the DL. The Cardinals ended the game with their only available players being their back-up catcher and a Rule 5 pitcher. Nobody is 25 men deep on April 5.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Really need to win tonight. 2 out of 3 isn't going to with the NL Central. Need sweeps all season long. Put the Cards in a 0-3 while we have a chance.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I agree 100%.

That one pissed me off...there's nothing I can't stand more than making the first out on the base paths. To be fair to Sofield on that one, though, I don't think Cutch looked at him once. He was going home from the second he saw the ball leave the bat, and that's on him for being over-aggressive. It required a perfect throw to get him, but Piscotty is the one Cardinals outfielder capable of just that.

There's some outs that are worse than others.....if you're out trying to stretch a single into a double I can probably live with it....even a double into a triple with 0 outs I can live with. Having a guy on 3rd with no outs is almost an automatic run.

3rd out at 3rd base or 1st out at home plate are my pet peeves though. Just inexcusable. The only positive for Cutch going home there is that it allowed the batter to get to 2nd base on the throw which didn't even happen so there was absolutely no benefit there. If we don't trust our 4-5-6 guys to cash in a runner on 3rd with no outs then we need to re-do our lineup.

On that note, tte way Polanco is smacking around the ball I wouldn't oppose switching him with Marte actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad