OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Jordy Mercer Isn't Completely Useless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
1374799835000-USP-MLB-Oakland-Athletics-at-Los-Angeles-Angels-jaso1-1307252051_4_3.jpg

4729506-4873439973-tumbl.gif

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I feel bad for Pedro, still a free agent into January.

I wonder if it's because of his contract demands or if teams really don't want a DH-only player or, more likely, both.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Both.

I look forward to the yinzers still complaining that we didn't spend $8 million on a guy who had to go into Spring Training as a non-roster invitee for the Athletics or something.

There is no market for any DHs right now and no team is stupid enough to think they can fix his fielding confidence issues. He's a straight-up Major League movie character, unfortunately there are no training montages in real life.

Now watch the Red Sox snag him and have him turn into Big Papi 2.0.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
So with the Cardinals ex-scouting director pleading guilty today, are they officially a criminal organization?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Damn, those list of charges that the former Cardinals dude plead guilty to are pretty insane, and definitively show how the Cardinals cheated. Even if you buy the lame ass excuse that they were looking for what Luhnow "stole" from them, that's actually a motive for their own wrongdoing, not a justification. But even in this case, they went after trade deadline rankings and other things which don't make much sense under any other rubric than simply stealing opponent information.

I have no doubt that the whole thing will just be handled quietly, but I'd love for the hammer to come down on the Cardinals, even in just a superficial way.

Dickey is intriguing, although I don't know how I'd actually value him. He's probably a good way to get 180+ innings eaten during the regular season, but I don't think he's much of a #3 playoff starter, which is what we need. We've already wasted money on Vogelsong, otherwise I'd be a lot more gung-ho. In fact, flipping Melancon for him could make quite a bit of sense, but I guess what I'm saying is that given all the circumstances, I'd rather see just how cheaply he could be acquired. I haven't thought about it a lot, but I'd rather give up a decent but not good prospect for him and see what else is out there for Melancon (or just keep him into the season, either as a deadline piece when the replacement options are more established, or as a kind of one year rental for ourselves this year if the value isn't there), although I wouldn't be horribly upset if we flipped Melancon for him.

That trade would really suck for Drew Storen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'd go to bat for Dickey to the Bucs...I think his numbers would improve greatly playing in the NL Central instead of the AL East, and Diaz is as well-equipped to catch a knuckler as anyone.

I have no idea how to value him either, but it is worth noting that one of the Blue Jays' biggest needs right now is a defensive back-up catcher...and I don't think I need to convince anyone that Chris Stewart would mesh well with Russel Martin :P

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Feels like they don't want to sign anyone who will block Bell, Glasnow, Hanson, Taillon, etc. 2016 seems to be about prepping for 2017.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well then a 41 year-old on an expiring contract makes a ton of sense.

The biggest problem here is that the Blue Jays need pitching...so...yeah...this has been a really weird/bad off-season for them and this would seemingly only make things worse.

CaptainMalkin

Dec 21, 2015
Anyone know if Neil Walker ever did a last "going away" interview with Pittsburgh media? Strange there hasn't been any word from him.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Anyone know if Neil Walker ever did a last "going away" interview with Pittsburgh media? Strange there hasn't been any word from him.

He was on Pittsburgh talk radio the day after his trade.

IIRC he also took a full page ad on in the Trib thanking the fans of Pittsburgh.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Just did a quick edit of my post. ^ that might be what you were referring to, (maybe)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That scar is wicked.

Anyone hear anything about when he's expected to be able to play? The picture definitely makes it seem like things are going well, but running, sliding, etc. are much different than throwing in shorts.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Daniel Bard's numbers from when he last played are hilarious.

He pitched two innings for old friends the Hickory Crawdads in Single-A in 2014. He gave up 13 runs on no hits, nine walks and seven hit batsmen for an ERA of 175.50. In winter ball 2013 he pitched one inning with nine more walks and three more hit batsmen for an ERA of 189.

latest

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
Daniel Bard's numbers from when he last played are hilarious.

He pitched two innings for old friends the Hickory Crawdads in Single-A in 2014. He gave up 13 runs on no hits, nine walks and seven hit batsmen for an ERA of 175.50. In winter ball he pitched one inning with nine more walks and three more hit batsmen for an ERA of 189.

latest
He throws a fastball in the high 90s. Your move Reds.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's hard to exactly dislike the Bard signing, considering that it's just another extension of the overall pitching strategy, this time in the minors. The only reason it's news is that he used to be really good, and we are good at making those types of people really good again. If he flames out, there's literally no harm.

The types of players we need to do better with (in the sense of translating them into in season success, not in the sense that we should have signed different players) are Feliz, Nicasio, possibly Lobstein. Those guys are also relatively low risk, but we're committing decent money to them and expecting them to contribute right away. I have confidence that they will, especially Nicasio, and I like the overall strategy, but that's where my skepticism comes in a little bit, because it certainly seems like we have enough money to have paid/pay for an upgrade in the middle of the rotation.

Even if Bard is lights out in spring training, he's almost definitely destined to spend part of the season proving himself in AAA. There's basically no way a player in his situation can be a bad acquisition -- it's throwing another dart at the board to see if it sticks as a depth bullpen option. I forget who it was at the moment, maybe Worley, but we had a guy who had the procedure that Bard had done recently, so I'm slightly optimistic in terms of our read on his health issues, but certainly not expecting to hear much buzz about him until late May/June at the earliest.

Re: Dickey, I'm still basically positive towards it, but I think I've soured on the idea of moving Melancon for him. I don't think that it's necessarily a bad value move, but more likely a lateral one or one that is a slight improvement if Dickey improves a bit on his recent track record. I'd rather see what prospects it would take and pay that price to improve the overall team just a bit more rather than deal from a position of strength.

I'd be fine dealing Melancon for good prospects or a solid younger player with some control (but we don't exactly have a need for those at non-SP positions), but I'd rather not move him for a one year expiring contract. I think I might move Stewart for Dickey one-for-one, but Stewart's ability to consistently get on base will actually be pretty valuable this year, so it's not an open and shut idea. But you have to figure Diaz is ready sooner rather than later, and him becoming Dickey's personal catcher is an easy way to welcome him to the league and give Cervelli consistent time off (with maybe an additional game thrown in every week and a half - a 65/70-30/35 platoon seems like a good way to roll these days).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad