OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: It's A Hard Buc Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Hurdle is not good at handling his pitchers. Everybody knows it and I agree. However:

1.) That is not what happened tonight

2.) Most of you are ignoring the many positives Hurdle brings to the table. The good far outweighs the bad. Give your head a shake if you can't see that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I agree w/ NAO about the handling of Chuck tonight. He had his stuff, movement was fantastic, and was working well. I think at the time of the first HR, he was at 80 pitches. So it wasn't like pitch count was an issue, either. In fact, if he gets his defense to play normal, it's 2 outs and the at-bat changes. It's 3-2 and MM is in here finishing the game.

I don't think Chuck was the issue. He was fine.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I agree w/ NAO about the handling of Chuck tonight. He had his stuff, movement was fantastic, and was working well. I think at the time of the first HR, he was at 80 pitches. So it wasn't like pitch count was an issue, either. In fact, if he gets his defense to play normal, it's 2 outs and the at-bat changes. It's 3-2 and MM is in here finishing the game.

I don't think Chuck was the issue. He was fine.

The Pirates traded for Soria for this very reason. Utilize him. Morton has not shown he can be trusted to go more than 6 innings tops. Thats a proven fact.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The regular season record doesnt matter if he borks a game in the post season.

That's true, but every manager has flaws and every manager loses their team a few games by making bad decisions. Hurdle gets his team in the proper mindset to play day in and day out better than 99% of managers in the league. That is crucial and it is being totally overlooked by some.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pirates traded for Soria for this very reason. Utilize him. Morton has not shown he can be trusted to go more than 6 innings tops. Thats a proven fact.

That's the life of a manager right there. If he pulls him and Soria gives up runs, people ask why he took out the hot pitcher. It's all moot if Ramirez makes his play. THey'd pull Chuck and it would have been 3-2.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah that's a whole other issue. With Hurdle I was referring to the Volquez debacle last year and the Burnett one a year before. Tomlin can't manage a clock and will punt while behind with 30 seconds left. And Bylsmas and Johnston's issues are well documented.

Atleast he pitched Cole over Burnett game 5 two years ago. The fact that Volquez pitched in the WC game last year.. indefensible. Our coaches definitely all have some major flaws. In general, Hurdle has been fantastic for this organization though. Tomlin.. I won't go off but not a fan of his. One of the worst in the business in terms of clock management, which I am HUGE on. That can win you games, steal points at the end of halves.. Johnston I'm not giving up on yet. Wannstedt for years with his conservative play style. Hell even Jamie Dixon is super conservative.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
That's the life of a manager right there. If he pulls him and Soria gives up runs, people ask why he took out the hot pitcher. It's all moot if Ramirez makes his play. THey'd pull Chuck and it would have been 3-2.

At the very least after the 1st HR Hurdle should have had a red flag. He damn well knows how Morton goes. He chose to ignore the flag and now we are tied and in extra innings once again. Morton is known to be mentally fragile when things start falling apart. If I was the manager I take my chances with the fresh arm.

I do agree however that ARam's lack of urgency and double clutch did contribute as well. But this is not like Hurdle's first time screwing up. He is not a very good game manager.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Atleast he pitched Cole over Burnett game 5 two years ago. The fact that Volquez pitched in the WC game last year.. indefensible. Our coaches definitely all have some major flaws. In general, Hurdle has been fantastic for this organization though. Tomlin.. I won't go off but not a fan of his. One of the worst in the business in terms of clock management, which I am HUGE on. That can win you games, steal points at the end of halves.. Johnston I'm not giving up on yet. Wannstedt for years with his conservative play style. Hell even Jamie Dixon is super conservative.

I'm not really a fan of any of the city's sports coaches.

As far as Dixon I couldn't care less since I detest basketball and wouldn't watch it if you "clockwork oranged" me. :laugh:

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
This park is loud, but it sounds like nobody there has ever been to a ball game because they are flipping out over 250 foot cans of corn.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Those damn Cubs. I hope they fall off in September. They are playing ridiculous right now. We need this game just to keep pace.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
My god our half innings last like 40 seconds.

SRod will be going bye bye when JHay and Jordy return, right?

If you mean going "bye bye" the bench. Then yes I agree he will be going bye bye.

Our innings last 40 seconds because hardly anyone on this team knows the definition of "taking a pitch" or "waiting for your pitch".

Very frustrating.

edit: Bob Davidson is everything thats wrong with todays umpires. ******* thinks he's God.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad