OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: (False) Hope Springs Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I kind of want them to drag the Archer thing out to the break. Give Agrazal another couple of starts to see if he's legit.

I like the idea too, although I think it'd just be one start next Wednesday. Still, given how Agrazal has performed, it seems like a decent bet to take against a division rival in a key game, where they still probably don't have much of a book on him.

It's also one more audition in the event of a more serious injury and/or a trade, although I suspect Agrazal has already done enough to earn the next opportunity. But it could open the door to moving Lyles at the deadline and going with more youth.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

Very nice numbers for Keller than I thought I'd share, although worth noting that our collective minor league K numbers are very bad. Not sure how much weight to really give the collective stat, since more often than not, what's most important is the handful of guys who will make it.

In other pitching news, the only word on Taillon is that he's scheduled to play catch at some point this weekend. So I guess we're 1/3 days down for waiting on news about him.

I'm checking out til gametime, but I'd be surprised if Hurdle makes any changes to the lineup other than swapping Diaz in for Stallings and perhaps having Diaz hit 7th. I'd like to see Osuna at 3B and Moran at 2B for at least one game this series, but Frazier had two hits last night and we won, so Hurdle isn't making any changes. In fairness to Frazier, he actually has a decent slash line for the past month... I was pretty surprised.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I like the idea too, although I think it'd just be one start next Wednesday. Still, given how Agrazal has performed, it seems like a decent bet to take against a division rival in a key game, where they still probably don't have much of a book on him.

It's also one more audition in the event of a more serious injury and/or a trade, although I suspect Agrazal has already done enough to earn the next opportunity. But it could open the door to moving Lyles at the deadline and going with more youth.

If it's only one start that makes it an easier decision I guess. Just let Archer rest until after the break. No sense risking further injury over 1 start

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Apparently the Ray's DFA Casey Sadler. He's having a good year (1.86 ERA). Might be worth it to take a flier on him. Lord knows they need more bullpen arms

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I lied about checking out til gametime... never write a dissertation...

I think Sadler would be a nice pickup, although I suspect he might require a small trade to get, and/or one of the teams higher in the pecking order will claim him. But I think getting another quality arm and allowing Hartlieb to get more experience/innings in AAA would be a useful move, whether we do it now or in three weeks. One thing I read on him is that he's had really good success in AAA going to a more strikeout approach, so I wonder if his velocity is up or something.

Also lmao:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Man, our offense has been fun to watch. Hopefully that continues.

Put up 6 runs against Woodruff on June 1st. The game Vazquez blew....lost 12-10 in the 13th.

They got wins in both of his starts against us....about time to reverse that.

As long as Lyles is not a mess...our offense will continue to have opposing pitchers thinking too much. Not many spots in the order to get around.

Thats the advantage we have rright now..only way that gets taken away is if pitching blows it early. Like we saw too often in May

Reactions: td_ice

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think the engine right now is obviously Newman-Reynolds-Marte at the top of the order. All of those guys have the ability to drive in runs sitting there from a lineup that has turned over, or get on base and start causing havoc to start an inning. I'm really curious/hoping to see if Moran can continue to step up as the #5 hitter behind Bell. Last night he got the key game-tying RBI thanks to a questionable decision/defensive play bu Jeffress, which was a nice break, but I think he needs to keep lofting the ball and hitting for power to stick in that spot.

Because of his speed, I'm almost tempted to hope that Hurdle swaps Dickerson in there, and drops Moran down lower in the order, but Dickerson's speed doesn't quite look the same to me at the moment, even if he's probably more likely to beat out a tougher double play (IMO Moran would have been out had they executed that play last night, he's just sooooo slow).

In any case, I say this at least 10x/game, but we need to power this offense with dingers. When we can get two guys on in front of Marte, Bell, Moran, then we need to punish the opposing team and score three at once. That's the kind of thing that will allow the offense to continue catapulting us to a big lead.

It seems like Lyles' rehab start was solid, but I'm not expecting a great result tonight from him or vs. Woodruff. Optimistically, the Brewers' offense has been relatively quiet in recent weeks, and Woodruff has continued to be hittable since our big score vs him, giving up 3+ runs in every start. If we can put together two or three wins of the 3-2, 3-1, even 5-3 variety this weekend, that would be extremely encouraging.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wouldn’t mind seeing a lineup of..

Newman
Dickerson
Reynolds
Bell
Marte

But the current lineup seems to be doing just fine

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah we can definitely afford to have a few power(with low avg) guys since theres so many who do have a high on base %.

Getting those 2-3 run HRs makes the difference in most games.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Wouldn’t mind seeing a lineup of..

Newman
Dickerson
Reynolds
Bell
Marte

But the current lineup seems to be doing just fine

I think Marte has to stay near the top because of his speed. Newman has proven himself to be almost a perfect leadoff hitter, since he's fast enough to cause trouble with infield hits + basestealing, and he's rarely striking out. I think I like Reynolds the best at #2, because he's the best hitter on the team IMO. There's probably a good case to be made to put Marte there due to the speed, and with Reynolds behind him he might get even better pitches to hit, but I think it's working fine as it is.

But if Dickerson continues to hit well, it makes this a really good problem to have... in a sense I sort of feel like we might benefit even more from Dickerson selling out for more power, but his reinvention has largely been driven by doubling down on his approach to hitting just about anything, and adequate power will still probably come.

I've been pretty outspoken about the risks and futility of keeping Dickerson around after his age 30 season, but if he would sign to a reasonable three year deal, it's not the worst idea in the world. I'm a fierce Polanco backer, but even setting aside that, I don't think he's tradable right now in the kind of trade you would want to make. Still, having 4 good outfielders is hardly a problem, especially since all three of the non-Reynolds guys get dinged up occasionally. I think what any move would amount to is insurance, with Reynolds starting to get regular starts in CF.

Maybe it positions you to trade Marte for a haul in the offseason, but that's a bold move. Really, though, the market for outfielders has not been too strong, so if we're only going to get marginal value for Dickerson, it may not be worth dealing him. I'm still not quite sure how to look at it. Cabrera can't be counted on for more than an occasional start with everyone healthy, but even so, if Polanco is fully rehabbed, I don't see how a time share will happen. Reynolds has proven himself to be so good that I think you have to just staple him and Marte together at the heart of the order.

Still, I guess it's better to have this problem than not. I don't expect Hurdle to make any substantial changes while the team continues to win. And although I don't have my hopes up about tonight, it could be a key game, in that it would really give us some huge momentum if we pulled off a win, and put Milwaukee really back on their heels. I hope the offense can resurface in a big way.

Oh, and I have been meaning to say this since the other day, but it would certainly be nice to see Reynolds catch even more fire for this final week before the ASB to really put an exclamation point on his campaign for a possible spot on the team. Doubt it happens for him, but if it has the side benefit of torturing the Brewers and Cubs for a week, I'm not really sure I'll care about the game at all.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I wouldn't start tinkering with the top half of the lineup when things are going so well. Marte's streakiness hurts a lot less in the 3-spot with Newman and Reynolds ahead of him. He's getting up to bat in a lot of 1 and 0 out situations. He just has to avoid hitting into DPs (obviously).

The bottom half I think Hurdle needs to be riding the hot bats. I'd play Moran sparingly right now since he's not really hitting. Should ride Osuna until he cools off (or if, could be he's finally broken through AAAA status). Dickerson is hitting like .400 since coming back. Can't sit him. Diaz has to play as much as possible, I don't think Stallings will hit much better than .230 over a full season. It's a problem when both Frazier and Moran are in cold streaks. Maybe play Kang at 2B/SS. He's actually hit decently the past week.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think it's probably fine for now. Ideally a win tonight might allow for a bit of experimentation tomorrow, to make sure Osuna gets in there, but part of his value will be stepping in as a key pinch hitter. Frazier's 7-day and 30-day splits were pretty surprising to me. I guess he's just had some extended long cold streaks which have made me sour on him with the eye test. Him heating up would be a big deal for this offense.

Marte had so much bad luck in Houston. I wonder if he might be due for a hot streak. Both he and Diaz have hit Woodruff well in limited sample sizes. Newman's actually only 1-7 vs him, but that 1 hit was a HR. I added him to one of my fantasy teams this morning, so I bet I'm going to curse his hitting streak.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
If Moran was bringing really good defense, I'd have more sympathy for sticking with him at 3B, but he's not. So, it's puzzling why a guy (Osuna) who's slashing .440 BA/ .481 OBP/ .880 SLG the past two weeks is stuck on bench duty for a guy slumping to the tune of .235 BA/ .235 OBP/ .324 SLG over the same period. For most managers, it's no question that you get that white hot bat in the lineup while you have it. Unfortunately, Clint "home runs aren't hit they're thrown" Hurdle, is not most managers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't disagree, but Moran has been performing pretty well, so I don't mind a little leash for him. I'd for sure like to see him hit a HR in this series, and maybe another on the homestand before the break. He was hitting at a good clip, and had some key hits in Houston IIRC.

I'm pretty curious to see Osuna's defense at 3B. I haven't read too many reports, but I'd imagine he's at least made himself comparable to Moran. I just hope Osuna is getting the starts vs Cubs LHP next week, and not Kang. Kang is a pretty one dimensional player to me at this point, and while we can use that one dimension, I don't think we have the leeway to let him get the ABs to see if it's ever going to come back.

On the other hand, though, the key to the offense will be the top guys continue to take good ABs, and then Bell driving them in. I'm a big defender of Marte's, but it helps him that Newman and Reynolds are much better at working the count, so that the pitcher is at least throwing a good number of pitches to get through them.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I was watching and finding it difficult to root for anything positive to happen on either side. Would have been nice if the Reds had won again.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Strop plunked Puig. Puig threw his helmet down and went toward the mound. Benches cleared. No one was kicked out. Imagine that.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
f*** god damn, I've ben ok with Cora's aggression in general, but that was insanely dumb.

At least Moran got one across, but a wasted opportunity there. We need Marte and Bell to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad