OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: (False) Hope Springs Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
We need a new one, and I'm not sure I've ever made one despite almost exclusively posting many hundreds of words daily only about the Pirates on a hockey message board, so here we go.

For some good vibes heading into yet again "the most important series of the season."

More dingers please.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009

Would have rather played Moran at 2B and got Osuna's hot bat in the lineup at 3B. Hopefully Frazier can snap out of the funk.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
You timed it almost perfectly:

Pretty big spotlight on Frazier and Stallings in that configuration. If Frazier is an empty AB tonight, then that leaves a catcher with perhaps ok contact skills as the only useful part of #7-9. Allowing a bad pitcher like Chacin that much of an escape hatch is dangerous, but I'm not surprised. I don't really think there's a solution to Frazier that doesn't involve Tucker being called up; maybe Gonzalez after a rehab stint, but you have to figure he's going to rehab at least for a week or so.

I'd guess that Moran may get one start at 2B this weekend if Frazier really struggles, and Clint will go to him again for the homestand. I hope he just snaps out of his struggles, but I am not optimistic.

Reactions: DanielPlainview

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Think they are going with Frazier because of Chacin. Being poor this year and a good chance for Adam to have a good game. If he doesnt do anything tonight its time for him to sit for awhile. Bring up Tucker and let Frazier come off the bench. Id do that anyway(cant hurt and gives us more options. Also the more players we play the more we are showcasing in case of trade). Kramer and Craig should be seeing time as well but we are at the rookie limit.

Id let them get experience now and get their growing pains out of the way.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Now is not really the time to be giving rookies playing time just because. Frazier needs a stint in AAA, and Tucker should be up because he's ready. Craig and Kramer are superfluous until Kang and Melky are moved, if they're moved this year at all.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Getting playing time for Craig in MLB is going to be pretty difficult I think, barring an injury. It basically would require a position switch and also trading Polanco, the latter of which I can't imagine happening until the offseason.

With his great season and now selection to be in the MLB futures game, I think it's a good idea to think about moving him. You can also sell high on prospects. I don't know that I'd do it straight up for a rental, but if the team continues to win, it could be the nucleus for a competitive package for Stroman or Boyd. Boyd would be an especially interesting guy to target with a Keller + Craig starting point, because his years of control are really good. Detroit's system is in shambles, so solid quantity will probably be almost as important as solid quality at the top of the deal. Maybe Keller, Craig, Alemais, and somebody like Juan Pie or Cal Mitchell as a really nice fourth piece would be enticing enough?

I dunno, again, I'm not fully advocating something that huge, but 1) it is possible to try and develop solid depth for yourself and take advantage of it in multiple ways, including a big trade at the right time (and just because the Archer trade was ill advised and then potentially has backfired enormously with Glasnow's development doesn't mean it's always a bad idea), and 2) setting aside all of this stuff, Craig has nowhere to play, and converting him to a bad defensive RF to break him in is a full-blown rebuilding move IMO. He's perfect trade bait for this summer if we're in a good position.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Id be weary trading Craig right now. Having his best seasons each time he gets promoted. His play at Wake Forest spoke for itself...so its not like he came out of nowhere. Him adjusting to pro ball by trying to work on making more contact instead of just power had alot of people thinking that pick was a bust. But it worked out well...now hes added his power to go along with a good avg.

Hes 24...if he can put up these numbers in MLB you find a spot for him. We have this same "problem" with Moran and Hayes at 3rd too. Moran adds more power but Hayes better overall. Craig can be used off bench? Can we get the DH here sooner than later? We need it

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The Tigers are asking for a Cubs Quintana-like package for Boyd. That's a definite no for me.

The way it seems Huntington likes to find pitchers is to scour for former early round picks who are kind of meandering. I guess he assumes the talent that scouts saw is still in there to be tapped? I'd start looking at those types. After getting burned in the Archer trade, I can't see him making another like that.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The Tigers are asking for a Cubs Quintana-like package for Boyd. That's a definite no for me.

The way it seems Huntington likes to find pitchers is to scour for former early round picks who are kind of meandering. I guess he assumes the talent that scouts saw is still in there to be tapped? I'd start looking at those types. After getting burned in the Archer trade, I can't see him making another like that.
They can ask for that but Quintana actually had a 3 year track record Boyd has less than a year no thanks. I don’t think we trade for a starter I think once they flip lyles they will go with the kids and for August and September

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I would consider Craig for rendon but Washington might not sell I think Craig best hope is that the DH comes to the NL next year

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, I suspect that the Tigers may actually not move Boyd this year in the end, because he'll still be as valuable in the offseason or next year, and probably moreso once he has more of a track record.

I don't disagree about finding a spot for Craig, but I just don't see where it is. He hasn't played third in years and is blocked there anyways. He's gotten OF reps and I think is practicing there, but that plan seems like it breaks him in as a bench player, which is less than ideal but might be what ends up happening.

In theory he makes a lot of sense as the eventual heir to Bell, but there's nowhere to put him and he'll be ready for MLB by spring training at least, you figure. The fact that he's getting good reports about his defense gives me some pause, but I just don't see us moving Bell prior to winter 2020. There's probably a way to do it, but I'm not adverse to using him in the right trade (i.e., Stroman). Mason Martin would ideally not be too far behind him, Osuna could be a serviceable stopgap, and there's also the chance Cruz moves to 1B.

Edit: yeah, if the DH is going to come to the NL by next season, then that changes things significantly, but otherwise, he's blocked everywhere.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, I would take those demands as a bluff/signal they aren't shopping him. He's been a 4.50 ERA type for the Tigers until this year. Seems unlikely he'd bring much back.

As far as Craig, obviously his best shot in the near-term is RF or the DH coming to the NL (Osuna may have the inside track there so not a guarantee by any means). We may also have to consider that Polanco's arm may never recover. He looked like he couldn't throw it more than 30 yards with any kind of velocity or accuracy. That's worrying. If he rushed back, he may have caused more damage. If he didn't rush back, what we saw is very much not good. We'll see. Best hope, he comes back at some point and at least puts up his career average numbers and they can moved him either at the deadline or in the off-season.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yeah, it probably wasn't smart for me to bring him up. We need to hope that Brault can continue to evolve and become a Matt Boyd like pitcher... that actually wouldn't be insane, even though obviously it would be dumb to expect him to break out quite to the same extent. But earlier in Boyd's career, he wasn't too different from Brault.

I'm still all aboard the Stroman train. He fits the bill as somebody who would help out a lot and be unbreakable by whatever the Pirates bad approach is. He'd cost a decent amount, but I don't know about the upper echelon of prospects given his ceiling and lack of playoff experience. For me that's the right level of cost/return given a window that, for better or worse, begins closing swiftly after next season ends.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003

I wonder if that's going to be Frazier's replacement. Legitimately wouldn't be shocked.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I'm not going to read a whole lot into it just yet. I don't really see the room for it – with Gonzalez coming back especially, we're talking about demoting 2 of Kang, Frazier, Osuna, Martin.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Oof, Sonny Gray is looking good early for the Reds, and Hamels just had some kind of problem throwing a warmup pitch and immediately left the game.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
We need a new one, and I'm not sure I've ever made one despite almost exclusively posting many hundreds of words daily only about the Pirates on a hockey message board, so here we go.

For some good vibes heading into yet again "the most important series of the season."

More dingers please.

I’ve always found it odd you post exclusively here on a hockey board, haha. Glad to have you, though.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm sorry, I just can't believe we traded for a guy with such pedigree that isn't actually any good.

If you have no command, which Archer doesn't, you need to have top shelf stuff. Archer doesn't.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Archer is a bum. An absolute f***ing bum.

And people want this team (mainly looking at our entire pitching staff and what it means for contending) to buy?

Maybe we can trade Newman, Tucker and Keller in a single deal!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad