OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Anything But Miller Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
PedroWitness1.jpg

If someone wants to edit my title mistake, please feel free... I always mess up some mundane detail...

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Was at the game tonight. Awesome ending and great pitching duel.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I have a feeling that the way tonight's game played out might be the pace we see for the next several weeks, potentially, or at least the remained of the pre-break games.

Even though he hasn't been as locked in lately, losing Marte is an enormous blow to the lineup. We're going to need different guys on offense to step it up on different nights, and get the hits when it matters. And have the pitching pretty much remain the same.

I did think Polanco mostly had good at-bats and worked counts, even though it only resulted in one hit. It's still only one game, but if we could ever use a little bit of a pre-break hot streak into second half turn around, it's definitely with him.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Will be interesting to see how the Pirates will do without J-Hay and Marte. Good start.

I still really feel bad for AJ. He had the crowd all pumped up in the 8th and Pirates had momentum to go get him a run and then the ump screwed it up.

EDIT: I am not saddened to see that the Giants are on a 7 game losing streak.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bucs now have a 7 game lead in the loss column on the 3rd place wildcard team, that's a huge lead at this point in the season.

Bucs probably just need to play 500 ball the rest of the way to get into the wildcard game.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
''Missed it by a foot!''

1329567636611512979.gif

Like they were saying on the broadcast though, that should really be reviewable. They will take 10 minutes to see if a guy overslid 2nd base but can't take 30 seconds to get this call right?

Burnett balked on the pick off play though so I guess it evens out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So have we officially given up on Tony Sanchez ever becoming something with the Pirates?

Yes. Defense is still a mess (10% caught stealing; 8 errors in 37 games behind the plate) and his offense has bottomed out back to his face-smashed-in levels.

Such a shame, really likeable guy with decent tools, but he's never been able to put them together at once and he's played himself out of the picture this year...not that I really think he was in our plans heading into the season as it was.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Baseball Prospectus released their Midseason Top 50 yesterday. Pirates that made it: Glasnow (17), Reese (29), Bell (33) and Meadows (46).

Also, Baseball America released their Top 50 today.

Glasnow (7)
Talk about unhittable. For his career, Glasnow has allowed just 176 hits in 312 innings

and Bell (45)
He’s hit and he’s shown he can hit for power, but so far he’s struggled to do both at the same time

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Glasnow should be the best pitching prospect in baseball. He has dominated every level and is much further along than Giolito....

Julio Urias is by far the best pitching prospect in the league.

Giolito has the size and pedigree, but Urias has the arsenal, command and mind at 18 that most pitchers don't get until they're 22ish. Baseball America LOVE Giolito and is the only list so far that has him this high.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, Urias is doing that in AA at 18...that's just unreal.

Glasnow & Giolito are very similar, Gio just has more of a pedigree (and an injury history). It's all down to preference there...all things considered I'll take the guy with the clean bill of health, not that Tommy John Surgery has slowed Giolito any. I'm more surprised by BA only having two Pirates in the top 50, but that just goes to show you how varied scouting can be. Moncada being 11th is a joke, he's just there because he's an expensive Cuban. I mean, who wouldn't be salivating over a pure second base prospect with more errors than extra base hits in low-A? If Moncada were Dominican he wouldn't be on the list and his signing bonus would have been closer to $3.15 million than $31.5 million.

The second best thing about American-Cuban relations being normalized is that the rich teams will stop throwing tens of millions at every player who comes out of Cuba.

Last edited:

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Still haven't seen an update on Marte since Sunday. Is this injury a long term thing or are we thinking more along the lines of a handful of games?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Sadly, I just traded Urias in my dynasty league. It was a hard decision, but I needed to either make a run for a money spot (top 3 finishers, I'm sitting in 4th) or hang it up and move vets for futures.

Thankfully I still have 2 Top 50 prospects (JP Crawford and Jose De Leon) so I still have future stud prospects.

Not that anyone cares about anyone else's fantasy leagues...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Still haven't seen an update on Marte since Sunday. Is this injury a long term thing or are we thinking more along the lines of a handful of games?

He seemed adamant that he won't need to go on the DL and it's a day-to-day injury, so I doubt we'll know anything more until we see him on the line-up card.

This is true.

:)

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If Tyler Lyons beats Jake Arrietta in the first game of this Cubs-Cardinals doubleheader, we will have definitive proof that god is dead.

Hopefully the Cubs can pull both these games out and allow us to pick up a game and a half in one day. That will put some pressure on them tomorrow, and then into our series.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Sadly, I just traded Urias in my dynasty league. It was a hard decision, but I needed to either make a run for a money spot (top 3 finishers, I'm sitting in 4th) or hang it up and move vets for futures.

Thankfully I still have 2 Top 50 prospects (JP Crawford and Jose De Leon) so I still have future stud prospects.

I care! :laugh: I'm in a big dynasty league with the same guys across MLB/NHL/NFL so always interesting to see stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad