OT: Raise of the Jolly Roger: We goin' tankin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It does suck as a Pittsburgher. We have a picturesque park, a fanbase that would come if they owner gave half a shit but there are ways to win, even with a bottom 3 payroll in baseball. And right now that's the avenue we have to take.

And make no mistake. I'm ALL for keeping Reynolds if we're getting 4-6 WAR out of him the next 3-4 years. We just have to be cognizant that he's almost surely not going to extend and at some point we will need to trade him if that extension doesn't happen. Maximize the return so we can keep the prospect pool rich w/talent, in a cyclical manner.

Good point, and for as much as I wanted it to...the CBA didn't eliminate the pathway to contention by owning a player's 23-30 years. It's still there and therefore we can still compete even with our garbage owner.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
In these conversations, it's often hard to differentiate between describing the reality of the situation and what should happen given those constraints. I don't disagree that Nutting has mostly operated this team on a shoestring budget, but I do think that Milwaukee's success shows that there isn't simply one path towards contending as a "small market" team. Over the long-run, I think MLB teams who are running sub-100M rosters every year should basically be contracted. Yes, it's not as simple as money going directly into the payroll and there are obviously disparities between revenue streams of different teams based on population, local TV contracts, etc., but MLB teams print money and we know of a huge amount of annual revenue that's generated for all teams before we even get into team-specific revenue.

It's a whole can of worms to open up that conversation, and not something that I fully want to do, since in the end I ultimately agree that we have to go with the evidence we have in terms of how Nutting runs the team. He has briefly spent to try and win, but we don't know if he'll a) get back to that if young talent improves or b) even if that happens, spend in a sustainable way. There are overtures that Cherington will have the resources to compete, but until we have evidence, these are just platitudes.

I think a key question ultimately comes down to timing, and when it's time to fully choose a direction. Cherington hasn't really been successful in finding MLB talent, and even though some of his trades have looked good, the jury is very much out. I don't want to be a doomer, but there's a world where the Taillon trade mostly nets you some injury-plagued pitchers and the Marte and Musgrove trades amount to busts outside of a backend reliever who will also soon be traded. It's too early to actually conclude that about anybody like Head, Peguero, Rodriguez, etc., and part of the point (if not the main point) of having a deep farm system is so that somebody is popping up even when other prospects falter, but there's still no guarantee that much of the minor league talent will amount to anything.

Tampa has had success, but they are also now in the situation of having an elite cornerstone talent who they spent $182 million to sign, though whether they might eventually explore trading Franco is another question. They were just willing to try and spend $150 to get Freeman. These are contracts which dwarf anything Nutting has actually done, so raising them is perhaps even more evidence to temper expectations.

At the end of the day, though, it's not about vague platitudes about what the right strategy is, but rather what is done with the concrete talent that we have. It's not going to break the bank to commit to Reynolds and Hayes, and you can even mount an argument that extending Reynolds on a good contract gives you better chances of trading him for a good return in the future if that's the decision you want to make, since instead of having to worry about his value declining since he'll be a free agent, you'll have a productive player who still has some prime years left.

Concretely, it's also possible to just drag your feet on extending Reynolds or not, potentially moving him at next year's deadline or something like that (or extending him). I think that's probably where we're headed, though to be honest, given the entire circumstances, I think we should just pick a direction and fully commit to it. If you aren't going to commit to building a winning team, then maximize his value and get the best package right now. The ugly reality is probably that nobody is giving up that package right now, which means you keep a cheap, prime year for a last place team and then get a worse package next year or after. The uglier reality lurking behind that is if you then play the same game with Hayes in another few years, and the same game with Cruz or others just after that.

At some point, you can't just keep churning everybody and expect to win. Winning is hard no matter what, as one glance at the Yankees or especially Dodgers can prove -- the latter has basically been running out all star game rosters for several years and still only won once.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
In these conversations, it's often hard to differentiate between describing the reality of the situation and what should happen given those constraints. I don't disagree that Nutting has mostly operated this team on a shoestring budget, but I do think that Milwaukee's success shows that there isn't simply one path towards contending as a "small market" team. Over the long-run, I think MLB teams who are running sub-100M rosters every year should basically be contracted. Yes, it's not as simple as money going directly into the payroll and there are obviously disparities between revenue streams of different teams based on population, local TV contracts, etc., but MLB teams print money and we know of a huge amount of annual revenue that's generated for all teams before we even get into team-specific revenue.

It's a whole can of worms to open up that conversation, and not something that I fully want to do, since in the end I ultimately agree that we have to go with the evidence we have in terms of how Nutting runs the team. He has briefly spent to try and win, but we don't know if he'll a) get back to that if young talent improves or b) even if that happens, spend in a sustainable way. There are overtures that Cherington will have the resources to compete, but until we have evidence, these are just platitudes.

I think a key question ultimately comes down to timing, and when it's time to fully choose a direction. Cherington hasn't really been successful in finding MLB talent, and even though some of his trades have looked good, the jury is very much out. I don't want to be a doomer, but there's a world where the Taillon trade mostly nets you some injury-plagued pitchers and the Marte and Musgrove trades amount to busts outside of a backend reliever who will also soon be traded. It's too early to actually conclude that about anybody like Head, Peguero, Rodriguez, etc., and part of the point (if not the main point) of having a deep farm system is so that somebody is popping up even when other prospects falter, but there's still no guarantee that much of the minor league talent will amount to anything.

Tampa has had success, but they are also now in the situation of having an elite cornerstone talent who they spent $182 million to sign, though whether they might eventually explore trading Franco is another question. They were just willing to try and spend $150 to get Freeman. These are contracts which dwarf anything Nutting has actually done, so raising them is perhaps even more evidence to temper expectations.

At the end of the day, though, it's not about vague platitudes about what the right strategy is, but rather what is done with the concrete talent that we have. It's not going to break the bank to commit to Reynolds and Hayes, and you can even mount an argument that extending Reynolds on a good contract gives you better chances of trading him for a good return in the future if that's the decision you want to make, since instead of having to worry about his value declining since he'll be a free agent, you'll have a productive player who still has some prime years left.

Concretely, it's also possible to just drag your feet on extending Reynolds or not, potentially moving him at next year's deadline or something like that (or extending him). I think that's probably where we're headed, though to be honest, given the entire circumstances, I think we should just pick a direction and fully commit to it. If you aren't going to commit to building a winning team, then maximize his value and get the best package right now. The ugly reality is probably that nobody is giving up that package right now, which means you keep a cheap, prime year for a last place team and then get a worse package next year or after. The uglier reality lurking behind that is if you then play the same game with Hayes in another few years, and the same game with Cruz or others just after that.

At some point, you can't just keep churning everybody and expect to win. Winning is hard no matter what, as one glance at the Yankees or especially Dodgers can prove -- the latter has basically been running out all star game rosters for several years and still only won once.

Just to touch on a couple of points you made:

1. I don't want to see MLB contract teams simply because they aren't spending a zillion greenbacks. That's not in the spirit of the game and frankly just punts the entire sport into "screw smaller markets, it'll only be the haves who get to field an MLB team". You can theoretically argue that is the current state of MLB and I'll listen but easily counter that smaller market teams (sub 100M payrolls) have competed and won in this sport. Factually. In a super duper fair world, yeah, it'd be nice if everyone was on roughly the same playing field in terms of monies. They/we aren't, and I don't subscribe to the throw in the towel and go home ideology.

2. "Cherington hasn't really been successful in finding MLB talent".
-I have a fairly sizable objection to this comment. Cherington has been on the job a few years. Most of that time frame has seen covid ravage the world and impact the sport in the negative, giving already ultra cheap owners like Nutting an excuse NOT to spend. Plus, and this is the most glaring reason he hasn't really found MLB talent, Cherington has been focused on rebuilding the org. from the ground up. Tearing everything down, accumulating young talent, and installing people who will advance the current day analytics which drive the game. Again, you can't be half in and half out in a market like Pittsburgh.

People lament the "lack of clarity" and it's quite clear what he's trying to do. We do not have the money to spend on anyone. Period. We're not even capable of signing Cutch for 8M for one year, a move which make sense for numerous reasons. That's NOT Cherington's problem. He doesn't control the purse strings.

So, in the last 2 years, he's traded away people who A, won't be part of a realistic winning window, and/or B, traded away people who are going to command significant raises through arbitration or become FA's before a realistic winning window, of which is going to occur with a very, very small payroll.

Consequently, he's added significant potential MLB talent, in part because we set the team up to fail in the short term, which sucks, but I completely agree with, as it affords you premium draft picks, which, for a team like us (in addition to the international market) is how you find the talent that can help you for the longest duration of time. I don't want to see a 95/100 loss team like anyone else but to get a Henry Davis or Nick Gonzales, you need to lose that much. And the fact is winning 75-80 games, while better than 60-65, doesn't get you into the postseason. It only leaves you with the state/feeling of constant mediocrity and that doesn't net you elite draft prospects.

Now, to be clear, I won't accept 2-3 more years of that kind of output. Eventually the talent you acquire needs to develop and produce results at the MLB level and we're going to start seeing that (hopefully) in 2022 and even more so in 2023.

3. Reynolds on a good contract is a nice sentiment but you have to understand that it's not based in reality. We know for a fact that the Pirates went to him before 2021 and he turned them down. I'm guessing a lowball offer, that was meant to capitlize on his awful 2020, and lock him in for 5-6 years at say 30-40M. I'm sure the Pirates have models that showed how advantageous that kind of signing would be, knowing that even conservative projections had Reynolds making decent gains across the board. Not hard to envision when you look back at how bad 2020 was.

Reynolds is easily worth 140-150M over 7 years at his current output. His bat alone gets you close to that, even before factoring in borderline gold glove defense. Look at what Olsen just got at 27, and he's a 1B (vs a top 5 defensive CF), with a less rounded offensive profile. We're not capable of extending Reynolds and that's NOT on Cherington.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just a hunch on my part, but based on how much I'm seeing the Pirates hyping up Cruz as seemingly one of their "main guys" with Reynolds, Hayes and Bednar makes me kinda skeptical that they're planning on sending him down to start. The media guys are obviously not the management, but I can't imagine they'd be painting Cruz as a major piece if the team wasn't planning on giving him first dibs on a MLB spot. This is just my speculation, though.

When the team media people are posting pictures of spring training, it is always Hayes and Reynolds at the front, and I've been noticing Cruz has been up there a lot too.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Just a hunch on my part, but based on how much I'm seeing the Pirates hyping up Cruz as seemingly one of their "main guys" with Reynolds, Hayes and Bednar makes me kinda skeptical that they're planning on sending him down to start. The media guys are obviously not the management, but I can't imagine they'd be painting Cruz as a major piece if the team wasn't planning on giving him first dibs on a MLB spot. This is just my speculation, though.

When the team media people are posting pictures of spring training, it is always Hayes and Reynolds at the front, and I've been noticing Cruz has been up there a lot too.

Unless he bombs in ST, I'd love to see him starting opening day, at SS, and hitting leadoff as he did most of his career in the minors. Cruz-Hayes-Reynolds-Yoshi top 4.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Just to touch on a couple of points you made:

1. I don't want to see MLB contract teams simply because they aren't spending a zillion greenbacks. That's not in the spirit of the game and frankly just punts the entire sport into "screw smaller markets, it'll only be the haves who get to field an MLB team". You can theoretically argue that is the current state of MLB and I'll listen but easily counter that smaller market teams (sub 100M payrolls) have competed and won in this sport. Factually. In a super duper fair world, yeah, it'd be nice if everyone was on roughly the same playing field in terms of monies. They/we aren't, and I don't subscribe to the throw in the towel and go home ideology.

2. "Cherington hasn't really been successful in finding MLB talent".
-I have a fairly sizable objection to this comment. Cherington has been on the job a few years. Most of that time frame has seen covid ravage the world and impact the sport in the negative, giving already ultra cheap owners like Nutting an excuse NOT to spend. Plus, and this is the most glaring reason he hasn't really found MLB talent, Cherington has been focused on rebuilding the org. from the ground up. Tearing everything down, accumulating young talent, and installing people who will advance the current day analytics which drive the game. Again, you can't be half in and half out in a market like Pittsburgh.

People lament the "lack of clarity" and it's quite clear what he's trying to do. We do not have the money to spend on anyone. Period. We're not even capable of signing Cutch for 8M for one year, a move which make sense for numerous reasons. That's NOT Cherington's problem. He doesn't control the purse strings.

So, in the last 2 years, he's traded away people who A, won't be part of a realistic winning window, and/or B, traded away people who are going to command significant raises through arbitration or become FA's before a realistic winning window, of which is going to occur with a very, very small payroll.

Consequently, he's added significant potential MLB talent, in part because we set the team up to fail in the short term, which sucks, but I completely agree with, as it affords you premium draft picks, which, for a team like us (in addition to the international market) is how you find the talent that can help you for the longest duration of time. I don't want to see a 95/100 loss team like anyone else but to get a Henry Davis or Nick Gonzales, you need to lose that much. And the fact is winning 75-80 games, while better than 60-65, doesn't get you into the postseason. It only leaves you with the state/feeling of constant mediocrity and that doesn't net you elite draft prospects.

Now, to be clear, I won't accept 2-3 more years of that kind of output. Eventually the talent you acquire needs to develop and produce results at the MLB level and we're going to start seeing that (hopefully) in 2022 and even more so in 2023.

3. Reynolds on a good contract is a nice sentiment but you have to understand that it's not based in reality. We know for a fact that the Pirates went to him before 2021 and he turned them down. I'm guessing a lowball offer, that was meant to capitlize on his awful 2020, and lock him in for 5-6 years at say 30-40M. I'm sure the Pirates have models that showed how advantageous that kind of signing would be, knowing that even conservative projections had Reynolds making decent gains across the board. Not hard to envision when you look back at how bad 2020 was.

Reynolds is easily worth 140-150M over 7 years at his current output. His bat alone gets you close to that, even before factoring in borderline gold glove defense. Look at what Olsen just got at 27, and he's a 1B (vs a top 5 defensive CF), with a less rounded offensive profile. We're not capable of extending Reynolds and that's NOT on Cherington.
Again, it's not so much that I fully disagree with you, but I think it's letting the Pirates off the hook to conclude that they aren't capable of signing Cutch to a 1 year deal for 8 million. It's less a question of capability than it is willpower, coupled with the obvious question of why a player with viable options from a better team would choose to come to one that is tanking.

I think it's also overly simplistic to say that losing = getting high quality talent. Yes, that's true, and yes, Cherington has accumulated a lot of talent, but at some point you need to improve the MLB team. The 2022 team is going to be very bad, and the chances of avoiding 100 losses again are only viable because of how weak the division is. Regardless, my point in bringing that up is not to say that Cherington hasn't accumulated prospects. It's that he isn't accumulating good MLB players.

It is fair to say that covid scrambled things, but the direction is still very much "get the best pick possible in the 2023 draft". Maybe Vogelbach, combined with Yoshi, Greg Allen, Gamel, and improvements from some returning players and emerging prospects will add up to more than that, but it's hard to be inspired. And if we're not actively attempting to improve the MLB roster this year, I don't know why we should think that we will in 2023 or 2024 either. The plan seems to pretty much be to sit on our hands until a core emerges, up to and including the possibility of dispensing with both Reynolds and Hayes.

The final thing I'd add is that I think that number is way too high for what Reynolds can command. The 4 years of team control severely hamper how much he can command: even if he repeats his 2021 season for every arbitration year, there's a hard cap on what he'd be awarded and the yearly salary isn't going to break the bank for his free agent years, especially because 31, 32, and 33 aren't really prime years. I think a 7-year deal signed today would be something more like 5+10+15+18+18+20+15, right around 100M total. Those AAV numbers are ones that any team in the league can both afford and still pay for other players to build around. The question is simply one of willpower, obviously with the caveat that a team that is actually winning and carrying the potential to keep winning is going to give itself more options in terms of additional players (hence Cutch signing a modest deal to be a DH/rotating OF for the Brewers).

Reactions: ImporterExporter

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think Cruz is going to have to force the issue in spring training if Newman isn't traded. The new rule about gaining a draft pick adds a possible wrinkle, but I think we are going to want him to play as much as possible and as the roster is currently constructed, I don't see it.

I hope I am wrong, because outside of the general boring type of intrigue stuff, Cruz's rookie season is one of the only reasons I can think to bother with this year's team.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Again, it's not so much that I fully disagree with you, but I think it's letting the Pirates off the hook to conclude that they aren't capable of signing Cutch to a 1 year deal for 8 million. It's less a question of capability than it is willpower, coupled with the obvious question of why a player with viable options from a better team would choose to come to one that is tanking.

I think it's also overly simplistic to say that losing = getting high quality talent. Yes, that's true, and yes, Cherington has accumulated a lot of talent, but at some point you need to improve the MLB team. The 2022 team is going to be very bad, and the chances of avoiding 100 losses again are only viable because of how weak the division is. Regardless, my point in bringing that up is not to say that Cherington hasn't accumulated prospects. It's that he isn't accumulating good MLB players.

It is fair to say that covid scrambled things, but the direction is still very much "get the best pick possible in the 2023 draft". Maybe Vogelbach, combined with Yoshi, Greg Allen, Gamel, and improvements from some returning players and emerging prospects will add up to more than that, but it's hard to be inspired. And if we're not actively attempting to improve the MLB roster this year, I don't know why we should think that we will in 2023 or 2024 either. The plan seems to pretty much be to sit on our hands until a core emerges, up to and including the possibility of dispensing with both Reynolds and Hayes.

The final thing I'd add is that I think that number is way too high for what Reynolds can command. The 4 years of team control severely hamper how much he can command: even if he repeats his 2021 season for every arbitration year, there's a hard cap on what he'd be awarded and the yearly salary isn't going to break the bank for his free agent years, especially because 31, 32, and 33 aren't really prime years. I think a 7-year deal signed today would be something more like 5+10+15+18+18+20+15, right around 100M total. Those AAV numbers are ones that any team in the league can both afford and still pay for other players to build around. The question is simply one of willpower, obviously with the caveat that a team that is actually winning and carrying the potential to keep winning is going to give itself more options in terms of additional players (hence Cutch signing a modest deal to be a DH/rotating OF for the Brewers).

I think we're too far apart on what Reynolds is worth and what teams are willing to pay for guys even on the wrong side of 30. There are so many examples of big market teams breaking the bank on players that don't have the all around ability of Reynolds.

Reynolds is a switch hitting, 25-30 home run guy, hits for average, gets on base at a good rate, runs well (led the NL in triples), and plays upper 3rd defense at a premium position. He's a 20M player even at age 31, 32, 33 on the computer models, based largely on what has been given out to comparable players, which are rare. How many players in MLB hit from both sides of the plate, on the plus side of 900 and play borderline gold glove defense at 1 of the 3 most important positions on the field?

In no world is he signing for 100M over 7 years. Not after 2021. I can't see anything under 125-130 million even being considered by his camp at this point and I'd be shocked if that would get it done.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think we're too far apart on what Reynolds is worth and what teams are willing to pay for guys even on the wrong side of 30. There are so many examples of big market teams breaking the bank on players that don't have the all around ability of Reynolds.

Reynolds is a switch hitting, 25-30 home run guy, hits for average, gets on base at a good rate, runs well (led the NL in triples), and plays upper 3rd defense at a premium position. He's a 20M player even at age 31, 32, 33 on the computer models, based largely on what has been given out to comparable players, which are rare. How many players in MLB hit from both sides of the plate, on the plus side of 900 and play borderline gold glove defense at 1 of the 3 most important positions on the field?

In no world is he signing for 100M over 7 years. Not after 2021. I can't see anything under 125-130 million even being considered by his camp at this point and I'd be shocked if that would get it done.
We are not talking about him on the open market. We are talking about him getting his big payday 3 years early but trading away some of his earning upside for certainty. We don't know where his head is at but I doubt Polanco or Tabata, for instance, regrets taking the money when it was offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad