NFL: Raiders working out Colin Kaepernick

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
You are absolutely clueless if you can't answer your first question yourself. BTW, he's not 'protesting for equality', he scammed Nike into laying out huge sums of money and sued the NFL based on a bullshit narrative. It has NOTHING to do with his race, there's plenty of scumbags in all colors of the rainbow. I'm done with this thread, I'm not changing your minds and you sure as hell aren't changing mine.
God damn you don’t belong anywhere near the Raiders anyway. Surprised you can even support a league where the majority isn’t white.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
In what way is a distraction? Because he’s protesting for equality. Why is he a scumbag? Because he’s not white?
The funny thing is Kaepernick never made himself a distraction. He was sitting or kneeling for the anthem and saying nothing about it. It only blew up when someone asked him about it, and even then, it wasn't him making a big deal out of it. It was the angry crying eagle people who lost their minds.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The funny thing is Kaepernick never made himself a distraction. He was sitting or kneeling for the anthem and saying nothing about it. It only blew up when someone asked him about it, and even then, it wasn't him making a big deal out of it. It was the angry crying eagle people who lost their minds.
I'm probably more old school in my opinions, but when Kap first sat for the anthem, my thoughts were:

1) He's on company time. That includes practices, team meetings, games, post game media availability, etc. Thus, he needed to clear that with the club if he wanted to do that IMO. It was something outside the norm of what players do during company time.
2) Assuming SF front office gave him the ok to continue to do that during "their time", I would have made it clear to Kap that he could continue, but he needed to talk to the media about it for the entire duration of his protest. The kneeling/sitting act itself would not be a distraction to the team, but it's the media coverage and questions because of it that can lead to it being a distraction. Because the media and fans would talk about it, so he needed to answer their questions. I don't want that falling on the HC and teammates. Plus, it ensures that his message/reason for the protest is made clear and doesn't get turned into anti-military and whatever else people wanted to twist it into. So, long as he did that, he could continue to sit/kneel during the anthem.

I really don't recall Kap talking to the media much about it during that season. Maybe I'm wrong here?

As for pure football, what Kap needed was a situation like the Titans when Tannehill signed. A team not in love with their QB anymore where there would be a competition or a short leash on the starter. Not one with an established starter like Wilson in Seattle, or a young QB being groomed. He was never going to get an opportunity with one of those 20 something odd teams. But, since he would not be the starter, his salary would be representative of that.

The teams that he had been linked to after SF were:

Baltimore was getting near the end of the Flacco era as this is Lamar's 5th year coming up.
Denver worked out a trade for Kap, contingent on him restructuring his contract at a lower salary. They had Lynch, Osweiller, Semien on their Roster at the time. SF ended up cutting him so he was never going to get the remainder of his deal with SF.
Miami, Tannehill was lost before the season in 2017. They ended up signing a recently retired Cutler.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

It blew up when a certain network made it their talking point

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I'm probably more old school in my opinions, but when Kap first sat for the anthem, my thoughts were:

1) He's on company time. That includes practices, team meetings, games, post game media availability, etc. Thus, he needed to clear that with the club if he wanted to do that IMO. It was something outside the norm of what players do during company time.
2) Assuming SF front office gave him the ok to continue to do that during "their time", I would have made it clear to Kap that he could continue, but he needed to talk to the media about it for the entire duration of his protest. The kneeling/sitting act itself would not be a distraction to the team, but it's the media coverage and questions because of it that can lead to it being a distraction. Because the media and fans would talk about it, so he needed to answer their questions. I don't want that falling on the HC and teammates. Plus, it ensures that his message/reason for the protest is made clear and doesn't get turned into anti-military and whatever else people wanted to twist it into. So, long as he did that, he could continue to sit/kneel during the anthem.

I really don't recall Kap talking to the media much about it during that season. Maybe I'm wrong here?

As for pure football, what Kap needed was a situation like the Titans when Tannehill signed. A team not in love with their QB anymore where there would be a competition or a short leash on the starter. Not one with an established starter like Wilson in Seattle, or a young QB being groomed. He was never going to get an opportunity with one of those 20 something odd teams. But, since he would not be the starter, his salary would be representative of that.

The teams that he had been linked to after SF were:

Baltimore was getting near the end of the Flacco era as this is Lamar's 5th year coming up.
Denver worked out a trade for Kap, contingent on him restructuring his contract at a lower salary. They had Lynch, Osweiller, Semien on their Roster at the time. SF ended up cutting him so he was never going to get the remainder of his deal with SF.
Miami, Tannehill was lost before the season in 2017. They ended up signing a recently retired Cutler.
And wore pigs in police uniforms socks..

Reactions: Barnaby

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Come on, do you really believe this shit? He admittedly did those and other things to draw attention to a lot of non-football stuff. That's being a distraction. You don't do those things thinking there's no reaction or pushback.

Reactions: Barnaby and Voight

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Come on, do you really believe this shit? He admittedly did those and other things to draw attention to a lot of non-football stuff. That's being a distraction. You don't do those things thinking there's no reaction or pushback.
He was skipping the anthem and said nothing about doing so until he was asked.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Afterwards he certainly made himself a distraction - depicting cops as pigs, wearing a Castro shirt / vouching for him, his girlfriend calling team owners slave owners and dissing Ray Lewis etc.

Reactions: Shadowthrone

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The other stuff was what it was. He was protesting specifically against police brutality. The demonstration he made was upon the suggestion of Nate Boyer, which was conveniently ignored because all people wanted to focus on was the flag. He was very specific on his actions and his reasoning.

He probably could've had a job, there was stuff out there that teams were considering, as has been noted here. but he wanted the starter money, not top-line, but enough to make what starters make - which doesn't necessarily mean he remains the starter. But the 'distraction' became the means to hold everything against him. I don't know or remember what else he would've settled for, but the notion that he wasn't 'good enough' to be in the league when Nathan Peterman kept getting jobs despite being objectively hideous is being obtuse just to be obtuse.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The other stuff was what it was. He was protesting specifically against police brutality. The demonstration he made was upon the suggestion of Nate Boyer, which was conveniently ignored because all people wanted to focus on was the flag. He was very specific on his actions and his reasoning.

He probably could've had a job, there was stuff out there that teams were considering, as has been noted here. but he wanted the starter money, not top-line, but enough to make what starters make - which doesn't necessarily mean he remains the starter. But the 'distraction' became the means to hold everything against him. I don't know or remember what else he would've settled for, but the notion that he wasn't 'good enough' to be in the league when Nathan Peterman kept getting jobs despite being objectively hideous is being obtuse just to be obtuse.

I think a lot of teams weren't willing to deal with the media circus that would accompany him. Its just extra stuff to deal with and not really worth it in this case.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Afterwards he certainly made himself a distraction - depicting cops as pigs, wearing a Castro shirt / vouching for him, his girlfriend calling team owners slave owners and dissing Ray Lewis etc.
How are socks and a shirt a distraction? The only people distracted by it were the conservative radio talk shows melting down like snowflakes over socks and a shit.

CoyoteUgly

Feb 11, 2004
You clearly don't belong in Raider Nation anyhow and we don't want you in it.
I am NOT a raiders fan, however i took a tour of the stadium a couple weeks ag. They said by taking the tour, I am part of Raider Nation. So i will use my first vote to say we do NOT want you on it, thanks for freeing up the spot for me.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
IMO, his new "job" probably required far too much time to dedicate to both it and football. Never mind that the "reading D" part of the game was his weakness. We now see how much more effective the offense is with Lamar compared to Kaepernick even if Lamar's passing processing is not that great.

I don't like police myself based on how the system basically does allow for corruption. But I don't believe only one group is victimized at the expense of others. Anyone vulnerable can be exploited.

As for Castro, that doesn't jive with me when my mother had to grow up in a system similar to that which Castro led. She is as old as the Communist Party in China is. Detention requires nothing but suspicion of being contrarian to the state own "moral principles", and they can watch every moment of your detention. Even bathroom trips for a young woman were not exempted to be watched.

The diss of Ray Lewis might have more than meets the eye. Perhaps getting associated with Lewis would be a problem for his public advocacy as Lewis could be pointed out as a beneficiary of the legal system as he probably did kill someone but because there wasn't the necessary evidence, Lewis got off with a slap on the wrist.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad