NFL: Raiders working out Colin Kaepernick

Sep 19, 2008
I have been following his comeback for some time; Schefter tweeted a few months ago that scouts were looking at him and impressed at his skills. Then Colin, by invitattion of Jim Harbaugh, worked out during the Michigan spring game. He was slightly impressive there but again he's throwing passes to receivers without any pressure or any D. So we'll see how this goes

Also keep in mind LV already has a set QB in Carr so Colin will not be under pressure to start. He can be 2nd string and sit on the bench and work on his game some more.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He has said that he is willing to take a backup job, which was either not the case or not known to be the case before.

Reactions: John Price

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He has said that he is willing to take a backup job, which was either not the case or not known to be the case before.
Reality of the nfl is that there are teams where the starter gets his job back coming off an injury regardless of how well a veteran does coming off the bench.
The only way Kap was ever going to go from backup to starter is with a team that was in a bridge situation.
He wouldn’t start over a Kyle Wilson, Fields, Mac Jones, etc if they struggled for 2 straight weeks. Those teams need to see what they have in their first round QB.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Reality of the nfl is that there are teams where the starter gets his job back coming off an injury regardless of how well a veteran does coming off the bench.
The only way Kap was ever going to go from backup to starter is with a team that was in a bridge situation.
He wouldn’t start over a Kyle Wilson, Fields, Mac Jones, etc if they struggled for 2 straight weeks. Those teams need to see what they have in their first round QB.
That was always how it was gonna work out. He’d be out of football long enough that even if there were to be interest, it would be like this. It’s not that he was blackballed, it was that he didn’t play. Since he was blackballed.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Do you mean Zach Wilson?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I guess by now the circus around him has subsided and teams forgave & forgot the stunt he pulled with the NFL workout a couple years ago.

Has any post WWII player gone this long between jobs/roster spots?

(Not including guys like Flutie who played in the CFL in-between stints)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess by now the circus around him has subsided and teams forgave & forgot the stunt he pulled with the NFL workout a couple years ago.

A couple of college QBs like Hutchinson, from Stanford and Henson from Michigan played baseball in the minors for a few years before joining Dallas Cowboys. Didn’t work out for them.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A couple of college QBs like Hutchinson, from Stanford and Henson from Michigan played baseball in the minors for a few years before joining Dallas Cowboys. Didn’t work out for them.

I meant guys who were in the league and then weren't for X amount of years and then made it back.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I meant guys who were in the league and then weren't for X amount of years and then made it back.
Aside from Vick? It’s too hard a game to miss more than a season either due to an injury or contract like Bell.

And to play at a high level vs being a backup level guy.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It'll be interesting to see if the Raiders are serious about having him on the roster or if this is just a stunt to distract from the Gruden lawsuit going public.

Kaep's body was basically being held together by paper clips and glue before he was out of the league. People forget he suffered some pretty significant injuries which significantly hampered his best weapon in mobility.

6 years is a long time to be away from the game outright. It's not like he was playing in another league during it too. This is also kind of right out of the Davis family playbook in terms of pissing people off.

Reactions: Voight

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Staubach did four years of naval service in between graduating and the Cowboys.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
In what way is a distraction? Because he’s protesting for equality. Why is he a scumbag? Because he’s not white?

You are absolutely clueless if you can't answer your first question yourself. BTW, he's not 'protesting for equality', he scammed Nike into laying out huge sums of money and sued the NFL based on a bullshit narrative. It has NOTHING to do with his race, there's plenty of scumbags in all colors of the rainbow. I'm done with this thread, I'm not changing your minds and you sure as hell aren't changing mine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Correll Buckhalter missed 3 out of 4 years with knee injuries.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
You are absolutely clueless if you can't answer your first question yourself. BTW, he's not 'protesting for equality', he scammed Nike into laying out huge sums of money and sued the NFL based on a bullshit narrative. It has NOTHING to do with his race, there's plenty of scumbags in all colors of the rainbow. I'm done with this thread, I'm not changing your minds and you sure as hell aren't changing mine.
he told you this personally?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Eff that guy. I've been a Raider fan since 1981, if he signs there I'm finished.
If McDaniels employs the Patriot philosophy on Offence of attacking the D’s weakness then there are game where the QB has to systematically pick apart the defence. That’s not Kap’s game. Patriots valued guys who could do multiple things. For QB it can be manage the game or put the game on their shoulders and have him dissect the Defence with precision passing.
We saw a bit of what a Kap style offence would be with Newton but Cam was too beat up by then to fully execute it.

In the end I don’t see McDaniels going with Kap in the roster. Raiders team overall has good starters but their depth will be tested. So I don’t expect them to keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad