GDT: RAGNARÖKR CLAN SKOGVAKTARE @ CLAN STORMNING AKA GAME 7 NEW YORK RANGERS @ CAROLINA HURRICANES

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
We only replaced Hamilton’s production, we didn’t replace his presence as a guy who can play on the top pair. We were short handed on D in terms of quality all season. We could really use another top three guy.
The problem with TDA is that they paid him third pair money and played him on the first pair, if they were to keep him, he should play third pair, but he’ll want first pair money.

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
I’ve always been more hesitant than most in my praise of TT so I haven’t wanted to shout it out too loudly as I figured I’d get torn up about it for being “against” him. I’m not.

He’s maybe the best choice for change. Aho plays well with others, and the two of them feed off each other to create that pass first mentality. Aho plays more direct when he moves away from him, though you can’t deny the chemistry.

He’s on a good contract, he’s still in his prime. He could be swapped out for someone who plays more in straight lines with a shoot first mentality. Or another top three defenseman.
TiVo led the team in playoff scoring, and was second to Svetch in shots taken. He has changed his game significantly in the last year to shoot more, a change that has pointed out his strengths and weaknesses most notably shown in game 7 when he had half a wide open net and shot harmlessly into Shesterkin’s pads…. (ESPN commentators, ‘spectacular save by the amazing, wonderful, spectacular Ranger goalie!’), as well as a couple of well placed top shelf shots earlier in the playoffs.

I guess my point is, Tivo is solidly the third leading point producer on the team as well as a good defensive player (consistently top 2-3 in +/-), do you think he could get better value than he already provides to the team? I really doubt it. TiVo isn’t the answer to the canes offense problems, but I don’t think he is part of the problem, and any change regarding TiVo would probably only make the canes a less potent team.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Just like to take this space to acknowledge that the Hurricanes have won more playoff series during Alex Ovechkins career than the capitals.

Perspective folks! Winning in the playoffs is f***ing hard. It's great that we're so pissed about the fact that we're only the 5th last team standing. The standard is officially raised. Good job Dundon and Borg.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Perspective folks! Winning in the playoffs is f***ing hard. It's great that we're so pissed about the fact that we're only the 5th last team standing. The standard is officially raised. Good job Dundon and Borg.
it has occurred to me today that this year is quite literally the first time in carolina hurricanes history that they have been "upset" in the playoffs.

caveats:
- yeah, we haven't been the favorite all that often.
- also yeah, we were the higher seed than tampa last year, but they were just treading water until kucherov returned. i don't think we were actually "favored"

still, this is something that good teams have to deal with. we've never really been consistently good to the point that we have had many chances to be disappointed, like tampa vs columbus (or any wild card chaos squad victims), or the caps nearly every year. good teams get upset in the playoffs every year.

hell, you could argue the canes are only the fourth most "disappointing" team just this year: toronto also lost a gave seven on home ice and they're toronto, florida was THE team until they learned what a real playoff team looks like, and calgary was sure they were going to unseat the avs out west...

yep, i'm in the copium den

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
TiVo led the team in playoff scoring, and was second to Svetch in shots taken. He has changed his game significantly in the last year to shoot more, a change that has pointed out his strengths and weaknesses most notably shown in game 7 when he had half a wide open net and shot harmlessly into Shesterkin’s pads…. (ESPN commentators, ‘spectacular save by the amazing, wonderful, spectacular Ranger goalie!’), as well as a couple of well placed top shelf shots earlier in the playoffs.

I guess my point is, Tivo is solidly the third leading point producer on the team as well as a good defensive player (consistently top 2-3 in +/-), do you think he could get better value than he already provides to the team? I really doubt it. TiVo isn’t the answer to the canes offense problems, but I don’t think he is part of the problem, and any change regarding TiVo would probably only make the canes a less potent team.
TiVo.png

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Winning a Stanley Cup is really freaking hard. All the stars have to align, and they didn't for us.

The core is good and will improve. Don't forget that Chris Kreider was never even a 30-goal scorer in this league until he was suddenly a 50-goal scorer. That's not the norm, but it's not impossible, either, and we've got a couple of guys who might turn that corner.

The discipline issues are fixable if they make it a focus, and I think they will.

Every guy on this team would run through a wall for Brindy. He's a rare and important asset. If he needs help on the PP, let's go find some assistant coaches that can give him that help.

The owner wants to win and consistently puts his money where his mouth is.

I know it sucks, but remember where we were for so many years, and where we are now.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Emotions were raw last night. I was pissed, you were pissed, it was ugly. I couldn’t post much on here because I was so mad. Some of us voiced it more than others and hopefully nothing personal was taken from it amongst what I call “family” here. Most of us are passionate fans and we have our own ways of dealing with disgust.

Regardless, that’s the way it goes and we move on. Win some, lose some. We have been blessed to come out the victors more times than not. This one poopoo of a series doesn’t make us the Capitals, Canucks or Sharks. We’ll be back 👍🏽

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
We can all keep saying XYZ happenedblah blah blah. It’s really simple. The power play was very good for 2/3rds of the year. Then it was awful. That’s why they lost. There aren’t any other underlying factors. I said this when the end of the year things weren’t going very smoothly it was because the PP dried up. Then it continued in the playoffs.

I don’t know what the solution is to that but there it is.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
We can all keep saying XYZ happenedblah blah blah. It’s really simple. The power play was very good for 2/3rds of the year. Then it was awful. That’s why they lost. There aren’t any other underlying factors. I said this when the end of the year things weren’t going very smoothly it was because the PP dried up. Then it continued in the playoffs.

I don’t know what the solution is to that but there it is.
That and our penalty kill was uncharacteristically and genuinely poo poo tier against the Rangers. No team can last long if they suck on both special teams. Full stop. I said before on the main board, and I'll say it again, I was more concerned with our penalty kill being bad against the Rangers. I think over the years as fans, we've become kind of numb to bad power plays, but we've had a long history of having a good PK. Some people will say, "the Rangers are so good on the power play that's why." However, I don't think that fully explains it. I hope it was just a fluke, but it will be interesting moving forward, and especially if we make the playoffs next season, to see how the PK will be.

Reactions: Tryamw

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Watching MacKinnon and McDavid carry their team on their backs really juxtaposed how shitty our lottery pick player was playing.
OK, but it's the first year Edmonton has actually a run even if they havEe May be the the two best forwards of the game. So May be We should be more Patient. I think with Freddy We would have been in the conference finals for Sure.rthe goalies is 50 % of the Team if you dont have a Mario lemieux type player in Your Team and that is not the case very often. So am i disappointed. Of course. Did Our Stars deliver? Not at All but despite the goalies and despite all the other things We still manage to come very close to a conference final. I think it's pretty encouraging.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
But we should try to get him short term. When health He is still elite. Knows How to win, what it take. Ton of experience. Could guide Svech and help Our Power play.

Malkin

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
But we should try to get him short term. When health He is still elite. Knows How to win, what it take. Ton of experience. Could guide Svech and help Our Power play.

Malkin
He's either going to ask for too much money, or he will sign a reasonable deal in Pittsburg. The only way another team is getting him is to over pay.

Reactions: DaveG

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
so exit interviews are today/tomorrow, right? will be curious to see which injuries the team was playing through. a couple guys seemed like they were nursing something... or at least playing like they were nursing something

Reactions: Sigurd and DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Even JR realized years ago that you can't let your team get pushed around.

I'm personally more annoyed at the boys lack of spine and pushback than I am execution. Execution can come and go but show some heart!!

This team should've been in on Evander Kane. Exactly what they needed....shoot first power forward with warts that make em' come cheap.

No hockey player at that level fears anyone. In any team. It is more about getting the momentum and having bounces and calls in your favor. Margins are very small and fear has nothing to do with that.

2 words:

Philly

flu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad