Raffl

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yea. Sucks about how Read has declined. That being said, if you can sign Raffl for cheap he would be a solid "move up the line when needed" type of player. He has showed he shouldnt be in the top 6. I would rather try to move Read (well Umberger first) if possible.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pretty indifferent on Raffl (although I STARTED the Rafflcopter nickname :naughty: ). He's a good 3rd liner/great 4th liner.

But if he stays on the team, he's going to keep ending up on the 1st line because of his "history" with Giroux and Voracek whenever there's a slump or line shakeup. That'd be my top reason for letting him go

Thats is until we draft Laine and sign Boedker :)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I would give Raffle a two year deal for 2 million and 2.5 million averaging 2.25 million. That third line of:

Raffl-Laughton-Read

Actually looks pretty good on paper. I expect Laughton to get a larger role next year slotted into the third line role. That is a line that can contribute offensively but also very well defensively.

With Hextall's track record, I wouldn't really expect the player we draft(whatever spot that it) to make the big club right away. Give them a year I believe.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I just think it comes down to Raffl or Read. One stays one goes. Depends who Hak/Hex sees as a more future option

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl will stay over Read, bigger, faster, tougher at this point in their careers - Read is pretty much cooked, which is normal for guys with decent but not great talent as they approach 30, it's not so much they fall off the cliff, they just decline enough that they're no longer starter quality.

Raffl is underrated by fans because he's not a slick finisher, but he does everything else, and you can't have three figure skaters on a line, someone has to go into corners, attack the net and get back on defense. If you can find that guy with a great shot, wonderful, otherwise a guy like Raffl >> a guy like Gagner.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
As long if Raffl isn't get paid off last year, he is worth keeping. If however some team at the deadline wants to acquire him hoping for last year's production, he should be traded without hesitation.

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
If however some team at the deadline wants to acquire him hoping for last year's production, he should be traded without hesitation.

I think Flyers could get no more than 3rd round pick for him and because of that they should keep him. 2 years @ 1.8M (1.6M / 2M) would work for me. It's still a nice rise IMO

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I think Flyers could get no more than 3rd round pick for him and because of that they should keep him. 2 years @ 1.8M (1.6M / 2M) would work for me. It's still a nice rise IMO

Ya especially because normal people get like .50 cent raises

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He definitely lost a lot of money this season. Had he been a free agent last summer he would have cashed in.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I'm really indifferent on Raffl, if he's here for a reasonable price, cool. If he's not on the team next year, no big deal. Let one of the kids replace him.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I wish we would just use him as a 3rd line winger and PKer like he is more suited for than top 6 and PP2

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
ugh, don't want Raffl in our top 6, let alone top 9. and especially not at 3m, as some have posted.

if you look at things for next year.

Voracek-Giroux-Simmonds
(Boedker?)-Couturier-Schenn
Weal/Read-Laughton-Konency

where exactly does he fit in? 4th line maybe. but you wouldn't give him 2.5-3m for a 4th line role. i wouldn't go above 2m for him. if he wants more he can go find it elsewhere.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
ugh, don't want Raffl in our top 6, let alone top 9. and especially not at 3m, as some have posted.

if you look at things for next year.

Voracek-Giroux-Simmonds
(Boedker?)-Couturier-Schenn
Weal/Read-Laughton-Konency

where exactly does he fit in? 4th line maybe. but you wouldn't give him 2.5-3m for a 4th line role. i wouldn't go above 2m for him. if he wants more he can go find it elsewhere.

I think that is a little harsh. Is he top 6? No. Low end 2nd and a 3rd liner, absolutely. He brings a lot of little things to the team 3LW is a perfectly good spot for him and 2mil isnt an overpayment

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Weal has never played LW and isn't necessarily going to stick in the NHL, why do you want to drop Raffl for him?

cheaper and more cost controlled.

I think that is a little harsh. Is he top 6? No. Low end 2nd and a 3rd liner, absolutely. He brings a lot of little things to the team 3LW is a perfectly good spot for him and 2mil isnt an overpayment

i suppose it isn't the end of the world if he's our 3LW. but lets see how Weal does first. but i still wouldn't give Raffl anywhere near 3m/year. that's too much.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
cheaper and more cost controlled.

i suppose it isn't the end of the world if he's our 3LW. but lets see how Weal does first. but i still wouldn't give Raffl anywhere near 3m/year. that's too much.

The coots contract proves where Hextall values players and their roles. 3rd liners should be averaging 2mil or to get mathematically accurate 6 mil for a 3rd line is reasonable to me. Might be lowballing but gives value to top 4 dmen, top 6 fowards, a goalie and solid backup.

Depending on what happens at the trade deadline/draft and how the free agency shapes up will depend on Raffls value. If Hextall thinks we can get a 2lw for coots, Raffl will get paid like a 3lw. If Hextall sees Raffl as our 2lw, he will get paid like a 2lw.

Raffl 2lw - 3.3.5mil av
Raffl 3lw - 2-2.5mil av

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not a chance I give Raffl 3 million.

2 million per for 2 years...taking it or leave it.

We got 3rd's for trash, we could get a 2nd for him.

Time to rotate out the old and in with the new.

Worst case...trade him for a 2nd then sign a cheap 1 year replacement thru FA.

We have these spots open:

Voracek-Giroux-Simmonds
XXXX-Couturier-Schenn
Read-Laughton-XXXX
VDV-PEB-XXXX

With Cousins, Weal, Konecny, Leier and Straka all as options from within not to mention any other moves Hextal makes.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
he looked pretty good last night. Driving play, forechecking well and complimenting Coots and Schenn very nicely

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Well, I think I would rather trade Read and re-sign Raffl tbh... they are a similar level of player, and Raffl will be ~1.5m cheaper.

And I am not sure Cousins will be capable of doing too much in the NHL, especially on a 3rd line.

Signing Boedker is also not mutually exclusive to re-signing Raffl...

a guy like Raffl is not as easy to find as many think, heck, look at what a mess our 3rd line has been the last few years, and we know what he can bring and know he would be a stable presence on a 3rd line.

If the kids outplay him in a year or two... trade him then. (NAK & Lindblom are not going to be in the NHL until 2017-18 at earliest IMO, Konecny is a RW and if we drafted Dubois he would not be playing until 2017-18 at earliest either, Gauthier is a RW, and if we drafted say Laine somehow Boedker would be the guy blocking him... not Raffl.)

Also, we can negotiate with Raffl at any time and get a good inkling of if he will re-sign and at what price... with Boedker there are going to be ~20 NHL team who are interested in him... and we only get to speak to him in the week or so leading up to UFA.

Agreed. Rafl is giving you everything Read does but he is bigger and stronger along the boards.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl is fine, he needs better players around him, but complements them well by doing the dirty work.
We need another Raffl on the third line to go with Laughton and ???
And three guys like him on the 4th line.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If we can find a way to replace Read, VandeVelde and Umberger with competent wingers before next season, we are a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad