Raffl

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Why does anyone want to resign him for a 2 mil cap hit. Would much rather go after Boedker or Okposo. Flyers should have the cap space to do that especially if Streit is traded.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Because he would a good 3rd liner at $2m, even if the Flyers did get a 1st line LW like Boedker.

Okposo is a RW.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
If they could trade Read and Streit and sign Boedker, Louie E or Okposo i see Raffl as a fine 3rd liner at 2 mil max. Now if we can get someone to step up, thats a different story. Lots of what ifs.

Can laughton transition to LW?
Is Leier ready?
What happens with Weal?
Straka or draft pick?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Raffl is just a really solid player who is playing above his natural role due to the Flyers lack of LW top six options.

He has good speed, good along the boards, is strong, good defensively, battles hard, can PK, can play centre and wing and has some skill.

He is really an ideal 3rd liner for a contending team. He would likely put up 20-25 points in such a role while having no trouble playing against top 6 players.

I would be ok to re-up him for 3 years in the 2-2.5 million range. Which is a very fair price for a good 3rd liner in todays NHL.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Raffl is just a really solid player who is playing above his natural role due to the Flyers lack of LW top six options.

He has good speed, good along the boards, is strong, good defensively, battles hard, can PK, can play centre and wing and has some skill.

He is really an ideal 3rd liner for a contending team. He would likely put up 20-25 points in such a role while having no trouble playing against top 6 players.

I would be ok to re-up him for 3 years in the 2-2.5 million range. Which is a very fair price for a good 3rd liner in todays NHL.

SO WHY DO WE KEEP PKING RYAN WHITE!!!!???
We have (what should be), PEB-VDV, Coots-Read, G-Laughton and Raffl

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Yep, cheap but solid tweener level player that gets maybe a little too much criticism because he lives in the ghost-town that is LW.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

If the flyers sign Boedker, their forward lineup would be
Voracek-giroux-simmonds
Boedker- couturier- schenn
Read-Cousins- Laughton
Vv-bellemare- misc.

Why do we need raffl if read is filling that spot and we have nak, lindblom, konency and our 1st rounder (e.g. gautheir or Dubois) waiting for a roster spot?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Voracek-giroux-simmonds
Read-Cousins- Laughton
Vv-bellemare- misc.

Why do we need raffl is read is filling that spot and we have nak, linblom and konency waiting for a roster spot?

Cap and term are the problems with a high profile option at the moment. They need to be mindful going forward due to some of the potentially hefty contracts that the young D might be due in a few years time.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Voracek-giroux-simmonds
Read-Cousins- Laughton
Vv-bellemare- misc.

Why do we need raffl if read is filling that spot and we have nak, lindblom and konency waiting for a roster spot?

Because it is far from clear that Cousins can play 3C?

Raffl - Laughton - Read

Is a better third line in that scenario, at least for next year.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

Raffl - Laughton - Read

You still would nak, lindblom, konency and our first rounder of gautheir/ Dubois blocked by raffl.

I would prefer to give cousins a shot on the third line and leave a roster spot for one of our prospects once they earn it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Voracek-giroux-simmonds
Read-Cousins- Laughton
Vv-bellemare- misc.

Why do we need raffl if read is filling that spot and we have nak, lindblom, konency and our 1st rounder (e.g. gautheir or Dubois) waiting for a roster spot?

Well, I think I would rather trade Read and re-sign Raffl tbh... they are a similar level of player, and Raffl will be ~1.5m cheaper.

And I am not sure Cousins will be capable of doing too much in the NHL, especially on a 3rd line.

Signing Boedker is also not mutually exclusive to re-signing Raffl...

a guy like Raffl is not as easy to find as many think, heck, look at what a mess our 3rd line has been the last few years, and we know what he can bring and know he would be a stable presence on a 3rd line.

If the kids outplay him in a year or two... trade him then. (NAK & Lindblom are not going to be in the NHL until 2017-18 at earliest IMO, Konecny is a RW and if we drafted Dubois he would not be playing until 2017-18 at earliest either, Gauthier is a RW, and if we drafted say Laine somehow Boedker would be the guy blocking him... not Raffl.)

Also, we can negotiate with Raffl at any time and get a good inkling of if he will re-sign and at what price... with Boedker there are going to be ~20 NHL team who are interested in him... and we only get to speak to him in the week or so leading up to UFA.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Cap and term are the problems with a high profile option at the moment. They need to be mindful going forward due to some of the potentially hefty contracts that the young D might be due in a few years time.

Agreed. I think they can go after Boedker but if they go after stamkos there screwed cap wise in a couple of years. They can give Boedker a 5.75 x6 deal and be OK cap wise. It would be an over payment but that is what often happens in free agency.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Voracek-giroux-simmonds
Read-Cousins- Laughton
Vv-bellemare- misc.

How did Read, Cousins and Laughton get promoted above VdV and Bellemare? Are we changing coaches? And Laughton is not a RW.

Unlike Read, Cousins and Laughton, Hakstol actually plays Raffl ahead of VdV and Bellemare.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Raffl - Laughton - Read

That would be, on paper, the most competent 3rd line we have had in years.

Heck, if we somehow managed to get Boedker:

Voracek -- Giroux -- Simmonds
Boedker -- Couturier -- Schenn
Raffl -- Laughton -- Read

is a pretty great top 9 all things considered. Then let Cousins, VdV, Bellemare, Weal, Leier etc battle for 4th line slots.

Though I would like to point out to all that Boedker, while he is fine playing LW, and I would love to get him, has actually played RW far more often than LW in the last two years...

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011

Raffl -- Laughton -- Read

is a pretty great top 9 all things considered. Then let Cousins, VdV, Bellemare, Weal, Leier etc battle for 4th line slots.

Though I would like to point out to all that Boedker, while he is fine playing LW, and I would love to get him, has actually played RW far more often than LW in the last two years...

I think cousins could be a competent third line center. I would like to give him an opportunity to succeed.

Slotting him on the fourth line does not really give him a chance to succeed. It is not fair to play an undersized center who is good offensively with incompetent offensive players. We should at least try to see what we have in cousins rather than setting him up for failure and playing him on the 4th line.

Also, I think Laughton would do better as a winger than center. He has a good shot but lacks creativity. Would prefer to have him play the wing and see if he can use his shot more.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA

Raffl -- Laughton -- Konecny

Fixed

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
You still would nak, lindblom, konency and our first rounder of gautheir/ Dubois blocked by raffl.

I would prefer to give cousins a shot on the third line and leave a roster spot for one of our prospects once they earn it.

If you want a third line that can handle hard defensive minutes, it can't consist of Laughton and a rookie winger, at least not to start the year.

I don't see Cousins as shutdown center at the NHL level, and I'd much prefer a third line that can allow the top two to get better balanced zone starts to one with a little more offensive potential and much less defensive ability.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I said this earlier in the year that Philly was soon going to be in a position to trade 2 for 1's due to our depth. We are getting close to that point especially by clearing all of Vinny 2 years earlier than expected.

Just think, Vinny +Raffl $ can pay for Boedker if Hextall chooses to do so.

I do think that a lot will depend what we do at the draft and where we pick. If we did manage to get Laine for example, adding an expensive UFA LW makes little sense imo.

Because regardless of what we do up front, we are still waiting on the young D to be ready and are flawed back there.

The next 1.5 years for Philly are going to be quite exciting with the moves Hextall is going to make. I feel he does a deal to add a legit player that few expected us to get. But it likely is a year away once more cleanup is done.

Hope I am right.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Raffl is an ideal bottom 9 LW. He is better than Read and A LOT better than VandeVelde and Umberger.

Thats why we want him re-signed.

Its not his fault he is being used in the top 6 due to lack of option.

He did look good with Coots and Schenn against Montreal so hopefully we are onto something there.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I think he's perfect for a shut down line. He has consistently good possession numbers over his career and when you watch him, you see a defensively responsible forward that backchecks like a champ. He can take draws (even though he hasn't been great lately) and could be signed at good value.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Now that Hextall has cleaned up the cap situation, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Raffl extended soon.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Pretty indifferent on Raffl (although I STARTED the Rafflcopter nickname :naughty: ). He's a good 3rd liner/great 4th liner.

But if he stays on the team, he's going to keep ending up on the 1st line because of his "history" with Giroux and Voracek whenever there's a slump or line shakeup. That'd be my top reason for letting him go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad