Confirmed with Link: Raffl 2 year contract extension, 1.6AAV

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why? Just why?

I know Raffl is able to move up and down the lineup... I know he may be a good guy in the room... I know its really not a big deal because you can send him down and it will only cost $700k vs cap.... but after 35+ games watching this team play that's a priority move? Come on man!

We need speed... We need tenacity...We need a new culture in the locker room. We need to improve the PK. We need 2-3 new forwards added to the mix this off season. We need someone that can bring energy to these constant boring matinee games (where we play half a sleep)

Lets call a spade a spade does anyone really believe that a team would offer a 30 yr old 12/13 th forward $1.6 million AAV for 2 years. If that were true you would've had decent offers at the deadline (which if happened you should've traded him). I actually like Raffl but this team needs a change and I just don't understand how or why you'd potentially block a young kid or why you wouldn't get a 12/13th forward that can change the momentum of a game. We all have seen what Raffl brings and it hasn't helped this team from being anything but a mediocre bubble team.

I want to check who his agent is. Maybe Fletch is trying to get in the good books of a UFA with the same agent. There has to be some kind of reason for this .....right?

Eat a Snickers Phil.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I can live with Raffl being the 12th/13th forward and playing 40 games. I just think the logjam is getting really serious. 12th/13th forward would be a perfect spot for NAK.

Reactions: BernieParent

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
That’s some Facebook level nonsense. Raffl has always been good on the PK, and you don’t change the culture by getting a different 4th liner who would probably cost more and struggle to perform as well as Raffl has.

Facebook level nonsense? Dude wake the f*** up. This nonsense that we've seen on the ice for the past 6+ seasons has to stop.

Am I the only one sick and tired of seeing this team sleep through the first 30 games of the season? Sick and tired of watching matinee games at home in which we play with zero emotion. Sick and tired of watching a team that backs down as soon as the other team puts any pressure on them physically? Sick and tired of watching them get hemmed in their zone game after game

We need speed and tenacity. I'm not blaming Raffl but our top forwards have been performing exceptionally well. We've been let down by our pk, depth forwards, shi** goaltending and horrible defence by our supposed veterans.

This lineup needs an injection of energy. Same old same old should not be acceptable. That's not what this franchise needs. Fletcher is in a great situation.... he needs to deliver. Raffl is not a bad player like I said ( I always liked him) its just that we need a change and should expect more

Reactions: mize370

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Facebook level nonsense? Dude wake the f*** up. This nonsense that we've seen on the ice for the past 6+ seasons has to stop.

Am I the only one sick and tired of seeing this team sleep through the first 30 games of the season? Sick and tired of watching matinee games at home in which we play with zero emotion. Sick and tired of watching a team that backs down as soon as the other team puts any pressure on them physically? Sick and tired of watching them get hemmed in their zone game after game

We need speed and tenacity. I'm not blaming Raffl but our top forwards have been performing exceptionally well. We've been let down by our pk, depth forwards, shi** goaltending and horrible defence by our supposed veterans.

This lineup needs an injection of energy. Same old same old should not be acceptable. That's not what this franchise needs. Fletcher is in a great situation.... he needs to deliver. Raffl is not a bad player like I said ( I always liked him) its just that we need a change and should expect more

Yeah you’re f***ing 2757 miles off the coast here. This is kind of the mindset underlying a lot of people’s complaints: You’re mad at the big picture for potentially-justifiable reasons but are obsessing over a basically benign brushstroke just to vent. It’s...not a big deal, man. It’s Raffl.

Last edited:

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016
As a fourth line player, I love this re-signing. Raffl is a steady and dependable NHL forward who can defend, play PK and pot ~25-30 points per season. Much better than the slop we’ve been trotting out on the fourth line the last couple years (Lehtera, Weiss, Varone, Knight, etc). NAK will likely be the 13th forward and get time due to inevitable injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSKA1974

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Yeah you’re ****ing 2757 miles off the coast here. This is kind of the mindset underlying a lot of people’s complaints: You’re mad at the big picture for potentially-justifiable reasons but are obsessing over a basically benign brushstroke just to vent. It’s...not a big deal, man. It’s Raffl.

100% right.. I'm mad at the big picture. I just don't see the value of this in the big picture. Nothing against Raffl and its not a horrible crippling move as I said in my first post (its really no big deal). Just we should expect more from Fletcher. This seems like an old Flyer move. Keep the good team guy even if he doesn't really help us win.

Anyone disagree that we need more team speed and need to play with more tenacity? Just not sure how Raffl helps in either those departments. I'll move on .... I ate my Snickers

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I was hoping to see some turnover and new blood but I Can’t complain about the signing. Not big enough that a coach (hopefully not Gordon) feels compelled to play him.
At the same time prospects are forced to earn the spot.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Is there a story here? He looks genuinely pissed but I don’t remember anything in particular.
No storry, they were just messing with each other. if i remember correctly, Raffl chirped Roo right before the interview (you can see Raffl walking by Roo and Coates the moment before).
One of the comments for this video: I love stuff like this, G was definitely joking around... there's an interview where Raffl says he loves playing on a line with Giroux but jokes that G is always yelling at him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
Agree with the people who want young players cutting their teeth in the bottom 6, but you need vets to play with them. Can’t run out a line with all rookies...we see the growing pains first hand with our d men. Also, talented rookies on our 3rd lines allow for 1.6 m wingers on your 4th line....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
100% right.. I'm mad at the big picture. I just don't see the value of this in the big picture. Nothing against Raffl and its not a horrible crippling move as I said in my first post (its really no big deal). Just we should expect more from Fletcher. This seems like an old Flyer move. Keep the good team guy even if he doesn't really help us win.

Anyone disagree that we need more team speed and need to play with more tenacity? Just not sure how Raffl helps in either those departments. I'll move on .... I ate my Snickers

Raffl doesn't play with tenacity? He's not a speedster but he's certainly average to above average as a skater.
His problem is finishing plays, otherwise he'd be a solid top 9 forward.

The season isn't OVER - Fletcher CAN'T make big moves right now.
Past the trade deadline and free agents aren't free yet.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Good value for Raffl. That being said, the value is irrelevant. This was a stupid stupid move. I'm not one of those people who likes to harp on ''blocking'' kids, but this move does just that. With Laughton and Hartman they didn't need Raffl regardless of the value. On the bright side, if it were Hextall he would have gotten 3-4 years and over 2 million per year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course they need Raffl, you don't know which kids will be NHL caliber and when they'll be ready.
And if a kid is a marginal 4th line guy, what's the big deal?
Plus who is going to be your 13th and 14th forwards? Not the kids.
More is better than less, we're not talking Varone or Knight, AAAA players who can be easily replaced.

Vorobyev made the team in TC, NAK can do the same, just outplay the veterans.
Then you have to carry it over to the regular season. Which Vorobyev failed to do.

And if there are too many NHL ready prospects? Raffl will have value at the TDL, even if it's only 5th rd pick value.

We're talking $1.6M, not Weise's $2.35M, and for 2 years not the 3-4 years similar FAs got last summer.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm fine with this.

Short term, relatively cheap, no one knocking on the door to take the 4th line LW spot from the AHL.

Would honestly prefer Laughton to be the 4th line LW, but this is fine. If Raffl, Laughton and Hartman are the 4th line, then the team should be in pretty good shape next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Dude, the seasons not even over yet and youre bent out of shape over Fletchers offseason moves? Lets actually get to the offseason first. This move has no bearing whatsoever on any big moves we will undoubtedly try to make.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The one thing I don’t really get about this isn’t the timing.

Why right now?

Why not go to FA, see what you can do, and then have Raffl as a backup in case you strike out? It’s not like there was any pressing need to sign him or as if we couldn’t afford to risk losing him.

Probably because it was too cheap of a deal to pass up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The one thing I don’t really get about this isn’t the timing.

Why right now?

Why not go to FA, see what you can do, and then have Raffl as a backup in case you strike out? It’s not like there was any pressing need to sign him or as if we couldn’t afford to risk losing him.

If you like a player and want him back, no need to risk losing him for nothing or having to pay more because another team makes him an offer. If Hextall was willing to go 4 × 2.35 for Weise, I bet a dumb GM would make a similar offer for Raffl. Benning makes offers like that yearly.

Reactions: deadhead

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Komarov was signed for 4yr, $12M by the Islanders last summer.
Do you think at 31 he was as good as Raffl at 30?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad