Player Discussion Rafaël Harvey-Pinard

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's still very much under the radar but by all logic he should get a good long look at the training camp next fall and a legit chance at making the big team. We're going to need to clear some room on the bottom 6 in any case, with guys like him and Pez we have cheap homegrown options. Ylonen deserves a real chance as well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's still very much under the radar but by all logic he should get a good long look at the training camp next fall and a legit chance at making the big team. We're going to need to clear some room on the bottom 6 in any case, with guys like him and Pez we have cheap homegrown options. Ylonen deserves a real chance as well.

I would want to see Ylonen and RHP in Laval and then call up as long as they are playing great unless either has an unreal off-season.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would want to see Ylonen and RHP in Laval and then call up as long as they are playing great unless either has an unreal off-season.

I think both are probably NHL ready - or at least ready to learn/progress on the job in the NHL.

But we have so many unmovable NHL contracts that it may as well give them plenty of ice time in Laval if they can't clearly beat out the vets yet.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I think both are probably NHL ready - or at least ready to learn/progress on the job in the NHL.

But we have so many unmovable NHL contracts that it may as well give them plenty of ice time in Laval if they can't clearly beat out the vets yet.
Young guys i wanna see next year (some not all games) are:
Suzuki, Caufield, Ylonen, RHP, Rem, Evans, Peźz, Dauphin, Harris, Baron, Shueneman, Romanov.

Accompanying cast i'm good with:
Anderson, Edmunson, Savard, one last year of a healthy Drouin. Armia is so enigmatic but i like what he can bring, wish he did all the time but he's in.

I'm really not into keeping if we can get value: Hoffman, Petry, Poehling, Price.

Goalies i'd have: ?other?, Allen, Montembault #3

I like good hockey even in loss and next year is no year for a tire fire and middle pick.

See I did not mention Gallagher? Yes, RHP takes that spot once Galagher gets traded. I like good hockey and to me Gally does'nt bring it to me.;)

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Young guys i wanna see next year (some not all games) are:
Suzuki, Caufield, Ylonen, RHP, Rem, Evans, Peźz, Dauphin, Harris, Baron, Shueneman, Romanov.

Accompanying cast i'm good with:
Anderson, Edmunson, Savard, one last year of a healthy Drouin. Armia is so enigmatic but i like what he can bring, wish he did all the time but he's in.

I'm really not into keeping if we can get value: Hoffman, Petry, Poehling, Price.

Goalies i'd have: ?other?, Allen, Montembault #3

I like good hockey even in loss and next year is no year for a tire fire and middle pick.

See I did not mention Gallagher? Yes, RHP takes that spot once Galagher gets traded. I like good hockey and to me Gally does'nt bring it to me.;)

I agree with this.

Only thing I can add, Poehling may come into his own if he can ever stay healthy... and, I don't see any team trading for Gally's contract. He did say he wants to come to camp next year in tip top form physically, so we'll see if that does anything.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I agree with this.

Only thing I can add, Poehling may come into his own if he can ever stay healthy... and, I don't see any team trading for Gally's contract. He did say he wants to come to camp next year in tip top form physically, so we'll see if that does anything.
And i agree with you, I'd hate to see Poehling explode elsewhere but I feel he may be sacrified in a deal for a goalie. I'm not sold on him but a new context may help him and I like Dauphin better for a 4th line center.

I'm thinking TDL 2023 with retention for Gally, then RHP ends the year and tries to grab the spot for 2023-2024. I expect next year to be similar to the end of this season (a bit better) with quite a lot of movement starting at the draft.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And i agree with you, I'd hate to see Poehling explode elsewhere but I feel he may be sacrified in a deal for a goalie. I'm not sold on him but a new context may help him and I like Dauphin better for a 4th line center.

I'm thinking TDL 2023 with retention for Gally, then RHP ends the year and tries to grab the spot for 2023-2024. I expect next year to be similar to the end of this season (a bit better) with quite a lot of movement starting at the draft.

I also want to see RHP at the NHL level asap. I think there are many bad vet contracts in his way. But once he's better than them, he'll get shot...

As for Poehling, I'm ready to see one of Evan's, Poehling, or Dvorak on the wing in the top 9 - maybe even with Suzuki and Caufield.

Reactions: NewDef

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He’s 23, so it’s good that he’s scoring in the AHL. Will he be waiver exempt next year?

Edit 2024/2025 it seems. No rush.

Last edited:

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
The great thing with Harvey-Pinard is that even though he puts up points in the AHL, he is not one of those tweeners that are great on a top-6 in the AHL, but not able to be good bottom-6 players in the NHL. Harvey-Pinard will be able to play a bottom-6 role ans maybe force the hand of the coach down the road if he continues to improve at the NHL level. He is a responsible player defensively, hard worker with good positioning. He reminds of Gallagher with his size and tenacity, but he is a better passer, but not as good as Gallagher to score goals. He is 23, and Gallagher made it with the Habs at 20. So there is a major difference there, but RHP may be on on different development curve. He is improving every year. That's the great thing about him. Last year some saw a Bouchard effect, because Bouchard was playing him a lot for a rookie, but this year after a slower start with Houle, he is even better.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I think he can become a good middle sixer. But we have many of those. We need top end talent.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
True, but it's always good to have good quality players at any position.
And the kids you draft and develop don't cost you 2M per year and 2nd+ to acquire. Next year is perfect to play, test and evaluate the cast in preparation for the 2023-2024 show.

I'm thrilled for the future, i can accept a 2 year (productive) slump to line things up for the next cup ;)

Reactions: Vachon23

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I have high Hope's for him at the NHL level.

His combination of chatacter/drive, speed, and some skill could make for a good NHL player. Not as good as Yanne Gourde, but maybe in that mold.
RHP is a below average skater and it is very unlikely that he has an NHL career of any significance. I like having him in the organization as he is a leader and a good player to have in Laval while providing some bottom end depth for the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad