Player Discussion Rafaël Harvey-Pinard

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
You guys are a bunch of reactionary nancies and most of you, if the hat fits, know nothing about hockey.

His metrics are all-time bad. He's shootig 4%. He's not playing a lot, he's been injured. He's candidate number 1 for a rebound season.
View attachment 847715
He can rebound in Laval instead of wasting a roster spot, he is not good enough to play top 6 and isn't built for bottom 6 so offers nothing

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He can rebound in Laval instead of wasting a roster spot, he is not good enough to play top 6 and isn't built for bottom 6 so offers nothing
Totally agree. Too small to offer the grit and toughness needed for the 3rd and 4th lines and clearly not a top 6 player. I hope he is saving his money because he will end up in the AHL similar to Gabriel Dumont and Charles Hudon.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I do think his season was derailed by injuries because he just looked like a lost a step in terms of speed. We'll see what Marty thinks next preseason.

I don't mind him as a 3rd liner if he can get back to and build on how he was playing last year, but like others have mentioned his lack of size kind've limits us to needing the others on his line to be bigger. I'm surprised we haven't seen him get more time with Anderson and Evans.

Reactions: 26Mats

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
If he doesn't cut it on a second PP or PK wave, he does not offer much more. This was to be expected, so I'm not disappointed. Indifferent to his play.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If he doesn't cut it on a second PP or PK wave, he does not offer much more. This was to be expected, so I'm not disappointed. Indifferent to his play.
Hes the 2nd most used PK winger, 3rd overall for Fs. All his metrics are excellent, like Armia.

The PK wingers are literally the only good thing about this team.

Reactions: 26Mats

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Eh... for next season, he'd ideally be on a 3rd line, since having a 4th line that's able to play like a 4th line is something this team has been lacking in forever, and while his checking game is definitely good enough for the 3rd line, I'm not quite sure his all-around offense game is good enough. He's definitely better than his traditionnal stats (his 23-24 ones, anyway), and while he doesn't lack grit and isn't soft, he's still 5'9 on a team that lacks size.

You can't credibly completely reject his 22-23 while completely accepthing his 23-24.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I do think his season was derailed by injuries because he just looked like a lost a step in terms of speed. We'll see what Marty thinks next preseason.

I don't mind him as a 3rd liner if he can get back to and build on how he was playing last year, but like others have mentioned his lack of size kind've limits us to needing the others on his line to be bigger. I'm surprised we haven't seen him get more time with Anderson and Evans.

I have no clue what MSL is thinking playing Ylonen and Pearson ahead of RHP with Evans and Anderson.

RHP with Anderson last year had Anderson produce better than he's ever produced in his career. And of course Ylonen and Pearson aren't doing much.

Reactions: Canadiens98

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
You can't credibly completely reject his 22-23 while completely accepthing his 23-24.

This is true.

Going into camp next season, he'll have a leg up and advantage at making the team. But he's far from set in stone.

He won't, and shouldn't, be on the big club for long if he continues like this season.

Reactions: MXD

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Totally agree. Too small to offer the grit and toughness needed for the 3rd and 4th lines and clearly not a top 6 player. I hope he is saving his money because he will end up in the AHL similar to Gabriel Dumont and Charles Hudon.
Yup, I had high hopes for him but he’s clearly not meant for this league.

Like the guy but it’s time to move on!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Even without the scoring touch he showed last year he still forechecks extremely well and is responsible defensively. He doesn't have a spot locked down but just because he's small doesn't mean he can't have success in a bottom-6 role.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I wouldn't waive him next year as he can be useful depth player and with his cheap contract, could get claimed. I mean, we probably could get a pick back for him in a trade.

I would give him a chance next year, we are still rebuilding after all. Let's hope he can be healthy and use the summer to improve his speed and strength.

He works hard, has decent hockey sense and skills, and plays decent on the PK. He has shown he could produce in the Q and AHL.

Is he better than a Bournival or Gignac in the long run, though? I have my doubts

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I wouldn't waive him next year as he can be useful depth player and with his cheap contract, could get claimed. I mean, we probably could get a pick back for him in a trade.

I would give him a chance next year, we are still rebuilding after all. Let's hope he can be healthy and use the summer to improve his speed and strength.

He works hard, has decent hockey sense and skills, and plays decent on the PK. He has shown he could produce in the Q and AHL.

Is he better than a Bournival or Gignac in the long run, though? I have my doubts
He’d be a great ambassador to our young guys….in the AHL.

Works hard and is a team first guy, exactly what we need in the A….can indoctrinate the new blood coming to Laval, that’s where I’d keep him and would be willing to pay him handsomely but that would be up to ownership and management.

Reactions: Number 57

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They all suck...
While for sure RHP hasn't been lights out, to say the least, I don't think the biggest problem right now is the bottom 6.

I think the problem is the lack of scoring on the 2nd line. If we get that 2nd line going next year with Dach, Newhook, Roy, and may be another addition, I think we would be fine with RHP in the bottom six. Though of course with Gallagher and Anderson on the books there may not be room for him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
While for sure RHP hasn't been lights out, to say the least, I don't think the biggest problem right now is the bottom 6.

I think the problem is the lack of scoring on the 2nd line. If we get that 2nd line going next year with Dach, Newhook, Roy, and may be another addition, I think we would be fine with RHP in the bottom six. Though of course with Gallagher and Anderson on the books there may not be room for him.
So many problems with a team so limited in talent and that includes arguably the worst two bottom lines in the league and RHP is part of that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's going to be interesting to see what's going to happen next year with RHP and others. We could use an addition or two in the top 6. And we already have 14 forwards. We'll see who's brought in and who is pushed out.

Right now:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Armia - Dvo - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - RHP
Pez, Ylonen

So many problems with a team so limited in talent and that includes arguably the worst two bottom lines in the league and RHP is part of that.
Fair enough. We just disagree on that. Especially if we can bring Monahan back.

Reactions: Number 57 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's going to be interesting to see what's going to happen next year with RHP and others. We could use an addition or two in the top 6. And we already have 14 forwards. We'll see who's brought in and who is pushed out.

Right now:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - Roy
Armia - Dvo - Anderson
Gallagher - Evans - RHP
Pez, Ylonen

Fair enough. We just disagree on that. Especially if we can bring Monahan back.
I also think they find a way to jettison Josh Anderson this off season. He can't continue being part of this team playing the way he has been.

Reactions: Egresch and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I also think they find a way to jettison Josh Anderson this off season. He can't continue being part of this team playing the way he has been.
Either retain 50%, or we take back a bad contract. Engels was saying last night on the sick podcast that at GM meetings when he talks to other GM's they have interest in Anderson at a lower cap hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is true.

Going into camp next season, he'll have a leg up and advantage at making the team. But he's far from set in stone.

He won't, and shouldn't, be on the big club for long if he continues like this season.

Yeah, it was a bad year right from the start. He couldn't establish his niche in the lineup, and then injuries further disrupted him.

I think you're right. He will come into camp next year with a leg up, and maybe he rebounds, but like you said, it's not set in stone, and neither should it be.

Reactions: Tuggy

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
he should be at laval next year, never come up again.
If they don't lose him on waivers I definitely would not call him up. He would be ideal on an AHL contract the following season and could be a great leader, maybe even Captain for the young guys coming up in Laval. Just not NHL material. Effort only counts for so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad