Value of: Radko Gudas

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Hes the classic case of more value to team than on market. He's our only natural RHD currently, and hes the only one, until Morin cements a place in the line up, that is a physical defenseman who is willing to do the dirty work (and sometimes more than willing, unfortunately).

He plays his role well, and we dont have a replacement. Id want a return similar to what we got for Coburn (which ironically, included Gudas) to move him. So First plus - which no one would realistically pay.
Morin would be a perfect replacement. Doenst seem to be ready-healthy so i would hold on. 2 more years great contract. But i let him go right away with a first or top prospect offer and gladly ride Hagg and even Alt as stay at home types to go along trio of pmd: Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim. And play one of Macdonald or Manning.

Any word on Myers Major injury too? Geez its unreal if so.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Morin would be a perfect replacement. Doenst seem to be ready-healthy so i would hold on. 2 more years great contract. But i let him go right away with a first or top prospect offer and gladly ride Hagg and even Alt as stay at home types to go along trio of pmd: Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim. And play one of Macdonald or Manning.

Any word on Myers Major injury too? Geez its unreal if so.

Morin didnt look terribly NHL ready in the limited times i had the chance to see him either. But yeah, if someone pays enough, ill send Gudas out I guess.

Haven't heard any recent updates on Myers myself.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not that we need him but what would it take to bring him back to TB? It would be fun to see him on this team.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
A 3rd

A serviceable bottom pairing D controlled for 2.5 years on a decent deal
Gudas is averaging 17-19 min of ice time. This year 15 min. He was suspended 10 games. 3rd paring d-men? You better know what it is you are talking about.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
My take on this, I just don't see a long term fit for Gudas on this team, we aren't going anywhere this year (and likely not next year either) so why not trade him and play the kids who ARE going to be part of this team for a long time???

I like the Stl offer the best (their next first is likely 2019 so that would give us two first round picks in 4 consecutive drafts, I like that) and next the TO offer of a first this year (top 10 protected) and a prospect.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
My take on this, I just don't see a long term fit for Gudas on this team, we aren't going anywhere this year (and likely not next year either) so why not trade him and play the kids who ARE going to be part of this team for a long time???

I like the Stl offer the best (their next first is likely 2019 so that would give us two first round picks in 4 consecutive drafts, I like that) and next the TO offer of a first this year (top 10 protected) and a prospect.

...because we already have a butt-load of rookies starting. Vets matter to a team, too.

Also: Gudas is one of the only players in either zone that has sand-paper. Not a good idea to dump him.

Reactions: Starat327

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
...because we already have a butt-load of rookies starting. Vets matter to a team, too.

Also: Gudas is one of the only players in either zone that has sand-paper. Not a good idea to dump him.

Yes, we'd definitely be a "softer" team without him and yes vets matter. However, we have Morin waiting whom is (or we HOPE will be) a better version of him. Yes Morin didn't look great in his short stint up but let's get him in there. That part would be a wash.

Vets? We have AMac on the back end, Manning (who is almost as "experienced" as a vet as Gudas) and Provo and Ghost who both LEAD and are better "vets" than Gudas. Add in forwards like G, V, Simmonds and Coots (leaving out vets who don't figure into our long term plans) and we have plenty of vet leadership on this team.

Yes I know that Hextal is patient and building for long term success but if we can trade someone like Gudas, whom is NOT in our long term plans, to add to our long term plans then I'm all for it even if his "replacement" isn't quite ready yet.

I said it in the off season that I'd be okay with icing 3 rookies on defense this year and I still am. Put AMac with Morin and let HIM mentor Morin. AMac may not be able to "do the job" very well any more but he is smart, he communicates well on the ice and he really can teach on ice pretty well. He's someone that could really help Morin (or Sanheim). Let AMac do what he's best at, mentor a rookie on the bottom pairing (also keeps his worthless ass off the top pairing).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad